2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,818 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
5W30 would be fine. Recommended, for gas mileage/emissions calculations, is 5W20.
More terrible advice.....the viscosity rating is not for fuel mileage its there for proper operation in colder temperatures

I wonder why the owners manual states what oil viscosity to use...........further more vehicles with VVT like the V6 are sensitive to oil viscosity, again gold star for being wrong

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,008 Posts
Then what about the 2.4L engine? The above explains only the 3.2L viscosity recommendation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use amsoil 5w20.
Was using Pennzoil platinum 5w20.

Its a vvt engine thats overly sensitive. Oil is cheaper than engines.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,253 Posts
Then what about the 2.4L engine? The above explains only the 3.2L viscosity recommendation.
Since the OP was asking about a 3.2... ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
More terrible advice.....the viscosity rating is not for fuel mileage its there for proper operation in colder temperatures

I wonder why the owners manual states what oil viscosity to use...........further more vehicles with VVT like the V6 are sensitive to oil viscosity, again gold star for being wrong
Dude...

·
Registered
97 Posts
It may vary from country to country but this is from my owner’s manual and for the 3.2L same as my 14 TH:

Font Terrestrial plant Number Paper Document

I use 5W - 30 as I can’t find any 5W - 20 and I know others over here in Aus do also.
Cheers

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,012 Posts
Apparently, the OP is in Togo, Western Africa. I'm going to assume that it's pretty damn hot there, and doesn't get very cold in the winter time...😎

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
As Hawk27's post indicates, the manual for his Jeep with the same 3.2 engine, says it's fine to use 5w-30 if 5w-20 isn't available.

As far as your statement about viscosity in colder weather, do you really not understand that both 5w-20 and 5w-30 have the same cold weather (winter) viscosity rating? Are you really that dumb? The difference in the 2 oils is the upper rating which pertains to higher operating temps with the 5w-30 being more resistant to viscosity breakdown at higher temps.

Mark's advice was not terrible, but showed an understanding of the differences between 5w-20 and 5w-30. The main driving force for the manual's recommendation of 5w-20 is indeed for the slightly better gas mileage it provides. But if 5w-20 is not available for some reason the 3.2 engine will run, perform, and last just as long running 5w-30. In fact, if I were to live in Florida or some other area where temps are always high, I would run the 5w-30 for the higher protection it provides in those conditions.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Not terrible advice at all. The march to lower and lower viscosities for oil is primarily motivated by improved gas mileage. The improvement in oil chemistry is allowing the lower viscosities while still providing adequate protection at high temps.

Plus in this case 5w-20 verse 5w-30 the 5w refers to the cold temperature viscosity, meaning both of these oils have the same viscosity at the cold temperature used for the rating. The second number is the viscosity at the high temperature used for the rating. The higher the top number the better the shear strength of the oil at high temps which means better protection.

As far as impact on VVT systems I highly doubt that a change between 5w-20 and 5w-30 would have any impact. The 5.7 hemi, 6.4 hemi and 6.2 hellcat hemi all use the same VVT system yet the 5.7 recommends 5w-20 oil and the 6.2 and 6.4 recommend 0w-40. Other examples are the 2.3 Ecoboost recommends 5w-30 but when you order the High Performance Package which bumps the HP by 20 to 330HP recommends 5w-50. The 5.0 coyote engine recommends 5w-20 but for high performance use they recommend 5w-50.

IMHO, using 5w-30 in place of the recommended 5w-20 is not going to have any detrimental effects but could provide additional protection.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
As most others have said 5w-30 is fine to use. And is easier to find as well. I have run 5w-30 many times when cannot find 5w-20. Which in today's market of products always being sold out is often. The pentastar is not overly hard on oil and runs well on any brand. My personal favorites are the Valvoline max life synthetic and Havoline pro-ds long life synthetic. Both have really strong add packs and offer great protection at a lower price than Pennzoil or Mobil1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts