2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my HIDs and LED fogs in.
I will try to get before and after pics of my setup.
These LED fogs are VERY NICE looking. I can't get a good picture though because of lighting but my pics do not do them justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Champagne InHand

· Registered
39 Posts
On these fogs can u just install bright white bulbs to replace the oem's?

I notice my lights and fogs are dull color. Thought I ask to confirm

· Registered
527 Posts
A general question on lights. What are these blue colored lights you see some cars having now days. If you look at the patch of light on the roadway when meeting them and compare with the whiter lights, the roadway coverage and brightness is way smaller and less bright with these blue ones. Just wondering what type of lights they are?

· Super Moderator
4,218 Posts
A general question on lights. What are these blue colored lights you see some cars having now days. If you look at the patch of light on the roadway when meeting them and compare with the whiter lights, the roadway coverage and brightness is way smaller and less bright with these blue ones. Just wondering what type of lights they are?
Higher temperature HIDs.

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.co...ories-and-installation/hid-color-temperature/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
527 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,218 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. That's about what I notice when I meet these guys. Why would anyone want to cut their light output that much anyway? Lighting is barely adequate on many vehicles anyway, then stick those blue lights in them and loose a bunch of what you had to start with - go figure.
Form over function.

I had 8000k HIDs in my Sonata. Had a much different appearance. I honestly didn't notice a drastic difference in light output between 8000k and normal halogens. So, in that case, it was an appearance modification.

In my Cherokee, I went with bright white, I think they're 6000k. So much brighter, with much better visibility over the stock halogens.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

· Registered
748 Posts
Glad to see more options for HID and LED foggers. Really the lights are the first issue I addressed and modified. So very worth the money spent.

I bought HIDs from a Canadian company called Auto LED out on Ontario. Great products that we're reasonable in price. They did only do Facebook orders at the time. I hope by now they have a website but it was about a year back.

· Registered
640 Posts
Glad to see more options for HID and LED foggers. Really the lights are the first issue I addressed and modified. So very worth the money spent.

I bought HIDs from a Canadian company called Auto LED out on Ontario. Great products that we're reasonable in price. They did only do Facebook orders at the time. I hope by now they have a website but it was about a year back.

Yup, they are who I'm running my HID lamps from. The ballasts need no mods or relays or anything. Literally plug and play on them. I kept my Xeon Depot kit to convert my wife's 200, but haven't done it yet. They throw much better than the Cherokee.

Reactions: Champagne InHand

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Actually... I think what bojeep is refering to are coated halogen bulbs, not true xenon bulbs. Xenons throw much more light than halogens, while *blue* coated halogens (fake HIDs) are horrible as far as output and the blueish light is highly annoying to oncomers.

True HID systems throw a lot of light, usually neutral white (4300-5000K), with a very sharp and clean cutoff. Not what bojeep was talking about, I think...

@BlueOrbs : the Cherokee OEM fog lamps suck, and it's not the bulbs' fault, it's the optics. They bleed up too much, don't go low and wide like they should. With the stock bulbs they are throwing glare because of the poor optics, so using brighter bulbs only increases the glare, with minimal increase of output where you'd want it. It is best to replace the whole lamps with *good ones*. Good ones that are DOT approved if possible, and throw low and wide like they should...

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Actually... I think what bojeep is refering to are coated halogen bulbs, not true xenon bulbs. Xenons throw much more light than halogens, while *blue* coated halogens (fake HIDs) are horrible as far as output and the blueish light is highly annoying to oncomers.

True HID systems throw a lot of light, usually neutral white (4300-5000K), with a very sharp and clean cutoff. Not what bojeep was talking about, I think...

@BlueOrbs : the Cherokee OEM fog lamps suck, and it's not the bulbs' fault, it's the optics. They bleed up too much, don't go low and wide like they should. With the stock bulbs they are throwing glare because of the poor optics, so using brighter bulbs only increases the glare, with minimal increase of output where you'd want it. It is best to replace the whole lamps with *good ones*. Good ones that are DOT approved if possible, and throw low and wide like they should...
And as we all know... 5000k is best on the KLs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

· Registered
39 Posts
@BlueOrbs : the Cherokee OEM fog lamps suck, and it's not the bulbs' fault, it's the optics. They bleed up too much, don't go low and wide like they should. With the stock bulbs they are throwing glare because of the poor optics, so using brighter bulbs only increases the glare, with minimal increase of output where you'd want it. It is best to replace the whole lamps with *good ones*. Good ones that are DOT approved if possible, and throw low and wide like they should...[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback and since I have not owned my jeep long, I would not know.... :surprise:

Is there any optics out there that I can replace my OEM w/o gutting everything and the oem connectors?

*plug & play*?

· Registered
12,919 Posts
And as we all know... 5000k is best on the KLs
I have NO idea what you're talking about :laugh:

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the feedback and since I have not owned my jeep long, I would not know.... :surprise:

Is there any optics out there that I can replace my OEM w/o gutting everything and the oem connectors?

*plug & play*?
Unfortunately, replacing the fog lamps requires a little work. I believe you can go in from the wheel wells by removing 3 or 4 small screws on each side, and easily take out the lamps that way. Installing the new lamps should be very easy when you choose lamps that fit a Wrangler (same holes).
Now the tricky part... the connectors : I'm pretty sure some here have posted links to cable adaptors on Amazon. No cutting no splicing. As close to plug and play as you can get.

If you want good lights, you'll need to spend a little bit of quality time with your Jeep, or... have someone do it for you.

· Registered
93 Posts
I think your the first one with the Morimotos on here! Looking forward to seeing pictures of the install and the results!
I've had my Morimoto fogs for about a year and a half. Even posted pics here. I Lamin-X'ed mine in yellow (I'm one of those who believes fog lights should be yellow). They're still going strong.
I'm strongly considering trading the '15 Limited for a '17 Limited at some point, and I need to decide whether to swap back the stock fogs and put the Morimotos in the new one, or just buy a new set. But either way I'll definitely use them again.

Brad.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Before

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And after

1 - 20 of 21 Posts