2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2014 Jeep Cherokee North
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering from those that have used the Morimoto Elite HID in there headlights

1. Which wire harness did you run
2. Did you use the capacitor link
3. Over thoughts and feedback on them

I am running a 2014 with the halogen headlights.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Just wondering from those that have used the Morimoto Elite HID in there headlights

1. Which wire harness did you run
2. Did you use the capacitor link
3. Over thoughts and feedback on them

I am running a 2014 with the halogen headlights.
I don't have them, but...

Isn't the wire harness supplied? Should be. These kits are pretty straightforward, plug and play essentially. You absolutely need the optional capacitor link... or else the lights won't work.

· Registered
12,919 Posts

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,409 Posts
If I drove any pre 2019 KL, I would for sure be running HID headlights, and quality LED upgrade on the fogs. Good as it gets...😎

· Registered
2014 Jeep Cherokee North
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see. My guess would be PWM harness + capacitor link. You can call them and ask, to confirm. Only time I've seen relays is when you need resistors ( and you don't).
I did reach out to them and they had seen the relay harness used in mopar applications. That’s why i am seeing if anyone can confirm with experience on what to get. I am tempted to try the PWM harness.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
I did reach out to them and they had seen the relay harness used in mopar applications. That’s why i am seeing if anyone can confirm with experience on what to get. I am tempted to try the PWM harness.
Hmmm. Relays have been used by some here, with other HID kits, but only when resistors were needed, as best I remember.

Ok, this is their 'standalone Canbus' harness :
That's a PWM module, like I have with my Xenon Depot kit. It's an error cancellor.

This is their 'anti-flicker capacitor link' :

Ok, so now I think I understand how they do it... Anti-Flicker capacitor link is for flickering lights. Cherokee doesn't need that. In addition, this capacitor is described to go with a relay harness. Again, a Cherokee shouldn't need one.

So... my very best guess here : get the 'stanalone Canbus' harness and that's it. No need for the capacitor link, no need for a relay harness.

Having said all that... If you get errors with this setup, you can contact TRS and ask for the relay harnesses + capacitor links. But I highly doubt you would need these at all... We have very few members who have installed this kit so far, so not sure you'll get a reply from a Morimoto kit owner.

· Registered
2014 Jeep Cherokee North
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. Relays have been used by some here, with other HID kits, but only when resistors were needed, as best I remember.

Ok, this is their 'standalone Canbus' harness :
That's a PWM module, like I have with my Xenon Depot kit. It's an error cancellor.

This is their 'anti-flicker capacitor link' :

Ok, so now I think I understand how they do it... Anti-Flicker capacitor link is for flickering lights. Cherokee doesn't need that. In addition, this capacitor is described to go with a relay harness. Again, a Cherokee shouldn't need one.

So... my very best guess here : get the 'stanalone Canbus' harness and that's it. No need for the capacitor link, no need for a relay harness.

Having said all that... If you get errors with this setup, you can contact TRS and ask for the relay harnesses + capacitor links. But I highly doubt you would need these at all... We have very few members who have installed this kit so far, so not sure you'll get a reply from a Morimoto kit owner.
I think this is making more sense now. I believe you are correct with the relay harness and capacitor after doing some more digging. If only someone could confirm about the canbus harness.

What systems are people having luck with? Some of the other brands seem to use relay harnesses.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
I think this is making more sense now. I believe you are correct with the relay harness and capacitor after doing some more digging. If only someone could confirm about the canbus harness.

What systems are people having luck with? Some of the other brands seem to use relay harnesses.
A bunch of us have the Xenon Depot HID kit mostly because, for a while, it was one of only a few available. Sometime in 2016, we started hearing of problems with Xenon Depot kits on some Cherokees (mostly 2016s). Most were corrected with relays + resistors. Eventually there was a new kit available on Amazon : the DDM Tuning kits (Plus and Ultra with Canbus). They seem to work pretty well in Cherokees, though some needed bulb tab trimming to fit, some needed to reverse the polarity on the connector. Later we saw a premium kit from GTR Lighting (good reviews but expensive) and, of course, the Morimoto kit. A few did report on being happy with the Morimoto kit, we just didn't get all the juicy details on what they ordered, exactly.
So the Xenon Depot kits require the optional PWM modules, DDM Tuning requires the Canbus kit version, GTR Lighting HID kit has the PWMs built into the ballasts so nothing extra required.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Just found a thread on here where a forum member installed a Morimoto HID kit (read down a few posts for comfirmation of this). :

Seems they got the standalone PWM harness, with success.

Just to clear up any confusion : topic linked above mentions a kit from Headlight Revolution : they are a branch of the The Retrofit Source, they sell the same products.

Let's see if @KLoradoTre is still around, to give us some feedback :)

· Registered
2014 Jeep Cherokee North
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just found a thread on here where a forum member installed a Morimoto HID kit (read down a few posts for comfirmation of this). :

Seems they got the standalone PWM harness, with success.

Just to clear up any confusion : topic linked above mentions a kit from Headlight Revolution : they are a branch of the The Retrofit Source, they sell the same products.

Let's see if @KLoradoTre is still around, to give us some feedback :)
Thanks for finding that, it seems like you are correct on that.
One minor thing, I thought the cherokees use a generic bulb rather than the high/low specific bulb because of the projector.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Thanks for finding that, it seems like you are correct on that.
One minor thing, I thought the cherokees use a generic bulb rather than the high/low specific bulb because of the projector.
This is confusing, for sure. If you use their specific vehicle fitment guide, you'll see 2 Morimoto headlight HID kits. One called ''HID headlight bulb system'' and the other one called ''HID High beam and Low beam system''... If you compare the two, I see them as identical in every way. This is also true for the GTR Lighting kit (2 options = same) and Xenon Depot kit (same 2 options, same kit). Could be just for search engine purposes.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
And to add... : our projectors are designed for single filament bulbs. Solenoid activated shutter (cut-off shield) does High and Low beams. So in other words, bulb is On/Off only, no High/Low capbility.

Here's a nice vid on how this works :

1 - 20 of 33 Posts