2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,009 Posts
+1 to everything said there! I'm similar in that I'm over 50 and have been messing about with old technology cars for many years then more recently actually did get into ECU tuning with the EECV in my Aussie I6 Ford Falcon (also worked the head + big cam and high flow exhaust etc.). That included fuel and ignition mapping as well as trans shift points and pressures + tq converter lockup points. Throttle was mechanical so there wasn't the option - or really the need - to mess with that - altho softening the pedal by removing the external spring vastly improved the feel of it.

Two of the BEST mods on that Falcon were removing the external spring on the TB and loosening the shifter handle and rotating it about 30 degrees - those things added a huge amount to driving enjoyment and my ability to drive it quicker - no tuning involved.

With the Sprint Booster in our TH I dont care what the figures end up being - it totally transforms the driving experience in all good ways - PERIOD! I really dont think I could cope with going back to not having it - and I now for certain my wife would definitely flatout refuse to drive it.

There's a difference between being FAST and being genuinely QUICK. I know for a fact the Sprint Booster doesn't make my TH faster but it definitely makes it quicker in all normal road situations and conditions.
Awe mate!!! I just said that because one of my closest friends in the world is from Melbourne, that's what he says all the time...LOL! That 4.0 SC is a beast, and I want one!!! I don't know what I'd put it in, but I'd find something. Maybe a 40 Ford pickup. Way better engine than our EcoBoost over here. My Trailhawk is more my daily driver, but my fun car is my 2016 GT350R. 5.2 flat plane crank Voodoo Coyote, tuned ECM went from 526hp, 429lb-ft to 585hp, 460lb-ft!!! I'm happy with the way the KL runs stock, but we just can't stop thinking about how to get just a little more!!! You and I are from the same generation.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Muscle car

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I bought a pedal commander and installed it back in December. I ended up returning it because all it does is change the pedal input signal. I can do that with my own foot.

After I install most of my offroading mods (and my warranty expires) I may pursue tuning my 2.0T. I would want a fairly safe tune, I believe the transmission can't take over around 340ftlb per the official design documents.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
369 Posts
Awe mate!!! I just said that because one of my closest friends in the world is from Melbourne, that's what he says all the time...LOL! That 4.0 SC is a beast, and I want one!!! I don't know what I'd put it in, but I'd find something. Maybe a 40 Ford pickup. Way better engine than our EcoBoost over here. My Trailhawk is more my daily driver, but my fun car is my 2016 GT350R. 5.2 flat plane crank Voodoo Coyote, tuned ECM went from 526hp, 429lb-ft to 585hp, 460lb-ft!!! I'm happy with the way the KL runs stock, but we just can't stop thinking about how to get just a little more!!! You and I are from the same generation. View attachment 210877
Oh! - I wasn't havin a go at you or anything like that - I agree / understand 100% with you :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought a pedal commander and installed it back in December. I ended up returning it because all it does is change the pedal input signal. I can do that with my own foot.

After I install most of my offroading mods (and my warranty expires) I may pursue tuning my 2.0T. I would want a fairly safe tune, I believe the transmission can't take over around 340ftlb per the official design documents.
I agree - the new 2.0T looks to have fantastic potential! Each to their own as far as the throttle conditioner. Mine is a Sprint Booster not a Pedal commander and I definitely can't make the car drive the same with my foot vs the module - when we turn the SB off, the car now feels like something's seriously wrong with it. Turn the module back on and she's lovely again...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
....I would want a fairly safe tune, I believe the transmission can't take over around 340ftlb per the official design documents.
The problem is that the KL’s TCM limits engine output to 295 lb-ft. Unless that is reprogrammed, engine mods will have minimal effect since the TCM “detunes“ it.

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
So trailfirst, you have a 2014, the PCM is unlocked.........
HP Tuners MPVI2 is 300 + 2 credits so $400

So for $400 more than a PC you get a complete tuning platform and if all you wanted was electronic throttle control, I could provide that information for free. Should you want a custom tune then that would be around $250.......so as you can see since you have a 2014 and an unlocked PCM a pedal commander is a huge waste of money and not worth it at all. I've posted this information over and over.......

·
Registered
740 Posts
So trailfirst, you have a 2014, the PCM is unlocked.........
HP Tuners MPVI2 is 300 + 2 credits so $400

So for $400 more than a PC you get a complete tuning platform and if all you wanted was electronic throttle control, I could provide that information for free. Should you want a custom tune then that would be around $250.......so as you can see since you have a 2014 and an unlocked PCM a pedal commander is a huge waste of money and not worth it at all. I've posted this information over and over.......
Only issue for me is that I got my pc from ebay for 150... So the tuner and credits would be considerably more expensive for me ..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You get those tires on yet?!?! LOL
7 weeks and counting. At least I have a tracking number now. However they still haven't been picked up from the warehouse.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Its easy to get rid of the 295ft/lb limit, you just have to spend about $1000 to do so. My 3.2 made around 275ft/lbs with the modifications so it never got close to that aspect of torque management
That's good since I would like to get 330-340 out of my turbo. Might be doable.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
That's good since I would like to get 330-340 out of my turbo. Might be doable.
Horsepower or torque? I don't think either one is doable at those numbers. Pretty sure the bottom end would not handle that. 330lb-ft of torque is a lot for any I4. A built and tuned 2.0 EcoBoost is barely capable of those numbers. More like 305-310 might be a doable torque number for our engine, and that would definitely be a huge, very noticeable difference, trust me.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
We drive Jeeps, not a Focus RS!!! Though displacement might be the same, that EcoBoost with 350hp, 350lb-ft is a true performance engine, factory tuned to pretty much max output. Our engine is nowhere near as strong or close to that capable. That EcoBoost twin scroll turbo is like 4X what ours is, not to mention the crank, rods and pistons, and probably the whole block. The first time that 16-18lbs of boost hit, we'd be scattering parts all over the highway!!! LOL

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
Horsepower or torque? I don't think either one is doable at those numbers. Pretty sure the bottom end would not handle that. 330lb-ft of torque is a lot for any I4. A built and tuned 2.0 EcoBoost is barely capable of those numbers. More like 305-310 might be a doable torque number for our engine, and that would definitely be a huge, very noticeable difference, trust me.
While I never got it on the dyno........using the weight and ET and MPH I ran along with realtime engine outputs from AlfaOBD I was around 320hp/275tq with my modifications.

The problem with adding a bunch of torque to the turbo is that the trans 354ft/lb limit comes up very quickly so that has to be kept in mind.

Forgetting about the transmission i'm fairly certain the PTU and RDM will have issues before the transmission calls it quits as those parts fail on stock vehicles all the time.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
While I never got it on the dyno........using the weight and ET and MPH I ran along with realtime engine outputs from AlfaOBD I was around 320hp/275tq with my modifications.

The problem with adding a bunch of torque to the turbo is that the trans 354ft/lb limit comes up very quickly so that has to be kept in mind.

Forgetting about the transmission i'm fairly certain the PTU and RDM will have issues before the transmission calls it quits as those parts fail on stock vehicles all the time.
Yes this is my main concern. Haven't been able to find any information online about what the torque limits for those parts are, and the only reason I have a cherokee right now is because my transfer case blew up on my last vehicle.

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
I wouldn't look at it from a torque limit perspective just the fact they are weak and fail. My 2014 needed a PTU and RDM my 2016 Needed a PTU (just before all the tuning)
Granted about 30 passes at the track doing 2800RPM dead hook launches and it didn't blow up, but it's not healthy for it either. I was lucky

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
I wouldn't look at it from a torque limit perspective just the fact they are weak and fail. My 2014 needed a PTU and RDM my 2016 Needed a PTU (just before all the tuning)
Granted about 30 passes at the track doing 2800RPM dead hook launches and it didn't blow up, but it's not healthy for it either. I was lucky
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Crossover suv
I'm guessing these don't run the ZF transmission!!! LOL

41 - 60 of 90 Posts