2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for more performance parts for my 2015 cherokee latitude 3.2l v6. It just passed 61000 miles.

I already have a K&N cold air intake, and I'm going to clean the MAF sensor.

I am about to order a new PCV valve and E3 spark plugs (shoot me for not using the oem lol). Any recommendations on performance parts and brakes and such?

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is no maf sensor..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a pedal commander.. Really opens up the throttle in city/sport mode.. That and my aFe CAI intake and custom exhaust... I'm zooming. I replaced my spark plugs with NGK V-power spark plugs at 75k..

Reactions: yodog

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
Or you can add full bolt ons and a custom tune for about 50hp.....
AFE Air intake
MMX Ported Throttlbody
Pentastar Upgrade Engine lower intake manifold
Custom engine and transmission tune.
Those above mods are good for 50hp and proven

Things to note:
Pedal commander is expensive and doesn't make the vehicle faster.
There is zero performance to gain with exhaust work as the greatest restriction is forward of the resonator and can't be replaced
A Cherokee with no mods other than a custom engine tune is still faster than a Cherokee with all the bolt on mods listed above.

Reactions: yodog

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Tyler - I have to concur with a pedal conditioner actually being a good investment - I have a Sprint Booster and altho I understand entirely that it doesn't increase power it certainly makes all the power you have to be much more accessible! This wrangler review also sums it up nicely:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Exactly for same for my pedal commander.. It changes things around so you go go go.. Sport plus mode can snap your neck if your not careful.. Usually roll around in city mode plus 2... If I need more zoom, switching to sand/mud mode 4x4 seems is quicker than sport mode. (sotp feel).

My love my exhaust rumble and it feels much quicker with the opened exhaust and Cai working together.. Air in--air out.

Reactions: Trailfirst

·
Registered
365 Posts
Exactly for same for my pedal commander.. It changes things around so you go go go.. Sport plus mode can snap your neck if your not careful.. Usually roll around in city mode plus 2... If I need more zoom, switching to sand/mud mode 4x4 seems is quicker than sport mode. (sotp feel).

My love my exhaust rumble and it feels much quicker with the opened exhaust and Cai working together.. Air in--air out.

:cool:(y)

Reactions: ern3

·
Registered
365 Posts
For info for others looking thru this thread, Pedal Commander and Sprint Booster are not just the same thing rebadged - they're different products made by different companies but they do more or less the same thing. It sounds like the Pedal Commander may have a more sophisticated control setup with various modes and then levels within those modes. Sprint Booster just has a number scale from 1 to 10 - displayed on the little controller. We run our SB at 5.

The straight up feel of the SB - and it sounds silmilar for Pedal Commander is that instead of pressing the pedal and waiting for things to happen, the response changes to feel like the accelerator is actually directly connected to the engine - ie. the vehicle directly responds to the pedal - you press the pedal, the car GOES - simple. I really dont think I could tolerate driving our TH without it now.

Yes it's a few hundred bucks that could go toward a "proper" tune - but in reality ur looking at close to $700 for a tune and no one yet has stepped up privately to offer the assistance of supplying owners with a plug and play OBD module ready to go with an optimised tune for std car (if/when I finally bite the bullet and do a proper tune as described in Tylers guides I WILL then offer that help to fellow KL owners) - and neither have any commercial businesses - so to get a tune done there's the money PLUS all sorts of messing about to get it working. Enthusiasts might say its all easy - but for someone who just wants their KL to go well it's really not. A pedal module takes about 10 minutes to plug in and instantly TRANSFORMS the car...

I know on paper it's supposed to be as simple as remapping the pedal so full throttle is reached much quicker than full pedal, but it drives as tho there's more than that going on - else that simple remapping has results that aren't readily apparent in theory. For example on the face of it you'd expect the trans would respond as tho the normal pedal was being held down further - ie. holding gear and changing late etc. but in fact no, the shifts seem to come thru quicker and slicker and kickdown doesn't happen as much as when just running normal pedal map. When my wife used to drive off down the street I'd hear the engine revs running quite high like it was holding second for quite some distance as she accelerated away - actually watching, there seemed like a lot of fuss for not much action - but with the Sprint Booster, the car takes off quickly with lower revving and quick, slick gear shifts. You feel that when driving as well of course.

I actually wonder whether there's two signals from the pedal - one for engine and the other for the trans - and the SB only conditions the engine signal. That would explain how the car drives - ie the trans is seeing lower pedal input and matching that to actual revs with predictable - and NICE - results. Even if that's not the case (and I suspect I'll be told so fairly quickly) it's certainly how it FEELS.

7:22 in the video I've posted above sums it nicely...

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
The tune IS the proper way to do it......and no there is nothing separate in the trans for the throttle control its ALL in the PCM, and with the PCM and TCM working together with lots of torque management, feeling faster with a throttle tricking device is just that, feeling but it's not actually faster.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,646 Posts
The tune IS the proper way to do it......and no there is nothing separate in the trans for the throttle control its ALL in the PCM, and with the PCM and TCM working together with lots of torque management, feeling faster with a throttle tricking device is just that, feeling but it's not actually faster.
Word!!! I once had a guy tell me his car was faster after waxing it...LOL!!! $$$ buys horsepower!!! We still need to get past the dreaded torque limiter!!! Damn you ZF!!! I have a feeling we're going to figure it out brother....

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Probably just another pound or two of boost...Just think what 4 or 5 would do...LOL

·
Registered
365 Posts
I never said it was or even felt faster... - it just FEELS much much much much nicer to drive.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think mine is much quicker, and it definitely feels faster. I enjoy shocking people as I walk them off the line on the street... I could never drive the Cherokee without the PC on.

Reactions: Trailfirst

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
I never said it was or even felt faster... - it just FEELS much much much much nicer to drive.
So @Trailfirst, you feel "Enhanced Driveability"? @ern3, you definitely feel more power? You have that sick exhaust system, so you have definitely added some ponys with that. Interesting, I'll have to research this Pedal Commander, as I know very little about them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
So @Trailfirst, you feel "Enhanced Driveability"? @ern3, you definitely feel more power? You have that sick exhaust system, so you have definitely added some ponys with that. Interesting, I'll have to research this Pedal Commander, as I know very little about them.
There's absolutely a positive transformation in driveability and overall feel - that video altho a manual wrangler pretty much sums it up. I won't say it makes the TH feel faster or more powerful but my wife is adamant it's about doubled the size of the engine...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Lol @ double the engine size... My wife is convinced I "waste so much fuel" because the exhaust..

·
Registered
365 Posts
:LOL: yeah - I've explained at length that it's only altered the way the accelerator behaves but my wife is absolutely certain it causes the engine to put out more power - she reckons it just CANT be that much better without there being more power! It doesn't increase power but by god it lets you use ALL the power there is!!

Reactions: ern3
1 - 20 of 90 Posts