2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s no secret that the 55W halogen bulbs on the Cherokee are straight trash. Couple that with no fogs and you’ve got yourself a lighting nightmare. After looking around at different halogen, LED, and HID solutions, I decided to pull the trigger on the MFC HID conversion because it’s affordable ($125), plug n play, and offers great support from the vendor.

First impression was that the product was moderately heavy, and showed great build quality (USA!!!). They came with very detailed instructions, though my only criticism of the instructions is that they ask you to disassemble one of the plugs to pass it through the dust cover without providing step by step instructions on how to do this. To get around that, I modified the hole that you are required to drill in the dust cover so that the plug would fit, and went back afterward to cover the extra slots I made with electrical tape (see pictures), though the supplied grommet would have covered my hack job anyway to maintain a water tight seal.

To be honest, the rest of the install was a breeze. I went VERY slowly, and total install time was around 2 and a half hours. If I had to do it again I could do it in an hour easily. If you know how to change the headlight bulb in your Jeep and plug a male end to a female end, that’s pretty much it. No kidding.

I mounted the driver side ballast in the engine bay in the recommended location, but mounted the passenger side a little differently because of fitment issues and being able to get a drill bit on the self tapping screws (supplied). The photos of the mounting locations supplied by MFC were very helpful. I found that I only needed to mount 2 screws for each ballast, which helps to know ahead of time to help plan easy placement.

THESE LIGHTS THROW NO ERROR CODES. As far as performance goes, the difference is amazing. The brighter, whiter light reminds me of vehicles I’ve been in with xenon headlights. The hi beams will essentially light up the entire world, whereas before I could hardly tell a difference between my hi and low beam. Overall, I feel MUCH safer on the road.

I am throwing a shadow on the driver side, but the instructions come with detailed steps on how this can be fixed. I may or may not bother with it though because the performance still far exceeds stock.

All things considered, this is a great product at a fair price that is relatively easy to install. I would HIGHLY recommend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The MFC HID kit is nice, had it been around before I got my DDM 55w kit I would have went with it. Not a single issue with PWM/flickering or bulb out messages which is awesome.

As for the shadow each vehicle is hit or miss due to production variations and the orientation of the tabs on the headlight housing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MFC HID kit is nice, had it been around before I got my DDM 55w kit I would have went with it. Not a single issue with PWM/flickering or bulb out messages which is awesome.

As for the shadow each vehicle is hit or miss due to production variations and the orientation of the tabs on the headlight housing
Yeah, if I decide to trim them it seems pretty straight forward. I’m just lazy and don’t feel like doing it! I’m glad you’re enjoying your DDM kit. There are so many options out there now that sifting through the BS can be difficult. I’m just glad I didn’t make the mistake of trying LEDs first!

·
Registered
2016 Jeep CHerokee Trailhawk
14 Posts
It’s no secret that the 55W halogen bulbs on the Cherokee are straight trash. Couple that with no fogs and you’ve got yourself a lighting nightmare. After looking around at different halogen, LED, and HID solutions, I decided to pull the trigger on the MFC HID conversion because it’s affordable ($125), plug n play, and offers great support from the vendor.

First impression was that the product was moderately heavy, and showed great build quality (USA!!!). They came with very detailed instructions, though my only criticism of the instructions is that they ask you to disassemble one of the plugs to pass it through the dust cover without providing step by step instructions on how to do this. To get around that, I modified the hole that you are required to drill in the dust cover so that the plug would fit, and went back afterward to cover the extra slots I made with electrical tape (see pictures), though the supplied grommet would have covered my hack job anyway to maintain a water tight seal.

To be honest, the rest of the install was a breeze. I went VERY slowly, and total install time was around 2 and a half hours. If I had to do it again I could do it in an hour easily. If you know how to change the headlight bulb in your Jeep and plug a male end to a female end, that’s pretty much it. No kidding.

I mounted the driver side ballast in the engine bay in the recommended location, but mounted the passenger side a little differently because of fitment issues and being able to get a drill bit on the self tapping screws (supplied). The photos of the mounting locations supplied by MFC were very helpful. I found that I only needed to mount 2 screws for each ballast, which helps to know ahead of time to help plan easy placement.

THESE LIGHTS THROW NO ERROR CODES. As far as performance goes, the difference is amazing. The brighter, whiter light reminds me of vehicles I’ve been in with xenon headlights. The hi beams will essentially light up the entire world, whereas before I could hardly tell a difference between my hi and low beam. Overall, I feel MUCH safer on the road.

I am throwing a shadow on the driver side, but the instructions come with detailed steps on how this can be fixed. I may or may not bother with it though because the performance still far exceeds stock.

All things considered, this is a great product at a fair price that is relatively easy to install. I would HIGHLY recommend.
Im also getting a shadow. It really sucks. Install tech did the trimming per instructions. Wish I had kept stock headlights. Did anyone else have this issue?
BeforeTrim1.jpg
20201117_BeforeTrim2.jpg
20201121_AfterTrim5.jpg
20201121_AfterTrim1.jpg
20201121_084541.jpg
20201121_084526.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee AD1 3.2
3 Posts
You ever get this figured out?

thanks for any info and help!

·
Registered
9,554 Posts

See here :

Go back a few posts in that thread^^ for the whole picture...
You having the same problem ? MFC kit ?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee AD1 3.2
3 Posts
See here :

Go back a few posts in that thread^^ for the whole picture...
You having the same problem ? MFC kit ?
I was but found the answer after trimming the tabs on the bulb base and ensuring it was done correctly the shadow went away completely. Let me turn the bulb more to remove the shadow. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
I was but found the answer after trimming the tabs on the bulb base and ensuring it was done correctly the shadow went away completely. Let me turn the bulb more to remove the shadow. Thanks!
Thanks. It really shoudn't be this involved, especially with a 2015 (9012 sockets). Mu guess is some kit vendors use the same bulbs for all 2014-17 Cherokees, forcing some to trim tabs. Furthermore, tab position may not be optimal, so even though the bulbs go in in one position, you get a shadow so you need to clock them, and then tabs need to be trimmed...

This can prove to be quite a challenge for some. Installing these kits with the KL's restricted access is challenging enough..

·
Registered
2016 Jeep CHerokee Trailhawk
14 Posts

Yeah, as you've already read by now, we did get this remedied. Thanks to Mark and Tyler for explaining the finer details.

The MFC instructions indicate a possible need for trimming if shadows are visible, but does not go into detail as to why. In my case it was because the installers placed the bulbs so that the filament was at the 1 o'clock position instead of as close to the 6 o' clock as possible. Without having done the work myself, I am assuming the trimming is necessary so that the housing can be rotated and allow the tabs to be able to fit at different positions.

Either way, once you get it right, the difference is a game changer compared to those stock halogens. I'm also pleased with how similar the HID K temp matches the led accent lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts