2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are y’all’s thoughts on the strength of this product? I love the looks and easy installation but I’m skeptical on its performance compared to others in the event of a deer strike.

I’m looking for something to give me some protection against a deer collision. They’re all over the place on my drives to and from work. The MFC hybrid bumper seems to be the easiest choice but is it really that much better? I’d love to hear some of your thoughts or experiences with this bumper.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its fine. Strong enough for recovery (done it) and will add protection to your front end although I have bent mine slightly offroading. I have actually used it to push over small diameter trees in my way with only cosmetic damage. Depending how fast you are going and how big the deer is the ends will likely bend but ultimately does its job. I abuse mine though as anybody who follows me on IG knows. If you are just worried about hitting a deer odds are yours will last a lifetime

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its fine. Strong enough for recovery (done it) and will add protection to your front end although I have bent mine slightly offroading. I have actually used it to push over small diameter trees in my way with only cosmetic damage. Depending how fast you are going and how big the deer is the ends will likely bend but ultimately does its job. I abuse mine though as anybody who follows me on IG knows. If you are just worried about hitting a deer odds are yours will last a lifetime

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I it probably sounds minor but deer collisions are super common in my area. I’ve been at this new job for three months and there have been 5 other coworkers this has happened to. It’s just made me paranoid.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
229 Posts
If you have a 18 or older, why not get HID lights to see them sooner? Might be a help. If you have a 19+ you are probably fine, especially when using the fog lights. It would be tough for a deer to jump out of nowhere without seeing it first and slowing down with as much light gets thrown out to the front and sides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a 18 or older, why not get HID lights to see them sooner? Might be a help. If you have a 19+ you are probably fine, especially when using the fog lights. It would be tough for a deer to jump out of nowhere without seeing it first and slowing down with as much light gets thrown out to the front and sides.
The HID lights and fog light upgrades form MFC are already ordered lol.

For a little perspective, I bought this Jeep because I was T boned at an intersection by a driver on drugs. I had an old Chevy pickup truck. And that’s what I’ve exclusively driven the past 10+ years. I love old trucks.

Anyway, the day I was hit was also the day my wife and I completed the sale of our home. So we immediately moved to a new area and I had no vehicle and a new job. I don’t have the free time to devote to wrenching on something older right now so I’m just trying to protect my investment. We live pretty much in the middle of a state park where there’s no hunting allowed. So the wildlife here is gorgeous and plentiful but that also means the deer population is thriving. It’s not uncommon to have 6+ Dart into the road on a drive at night or at dusk or at dawn. They’re always moving freely here it seems.

So all of that combined with my wife and I’s desire to get off-road and camp and enjoy nature and begin overlanding or car camping more has sent me down the rabbit hole of outfitting these vehicles. I think They’re an extremely underrated platform in comparison to the usual choices (4Runner, Tacoma, Land Cruiser, etc.).

I really hope Jeep continues to innovate and improve the KL platform. It’s not quite in the league of a 4Runner or something like that but I really feel like if it’s given enough time that it could really build a huge following. Wranglers will always be a thing. They’re more than established. But this is a vehicle that newer generations could really latch onto given its size, drivability, and value.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Just wanted to add some context for myself. I’m living proof that someone with a background in OBS, V8 trucks and SUV’s can find excitement and inspiration from this platform.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
In light of your [extreme] situation, for lighting I would go beyond an HID kit and LED fog lights. Too bad you've already paid a premium for those upgrades (you can find equally good/better for less... :-/ ), but I would suggest you add auxiliary lights, like a quality combo light bar or quality wide + narrow beam pod lights. Even with an HID kit, the beam pattern of the projectors is narrow. Fog lights throw wide but not far ahead, good for low speeds only.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
229 Posts
I was in the same boat. I had a couple CJ7s back in high school and collage, then went the truck route for towing and having a bed. Most recently got rid of the f250 when we sold the camper, and was looking at wranglers, but they are in a whole different price point for what I could get with the KL, and it does more than enough of what I need off-road, not to mention twice as comfortable on road. I do wish the aftermarket support was a little higher, but there are at least a few good options for stuff out there. While it doesn't have the articulation a solid axle vehicle will have, have the entire bottom basically flat with skip plates, really helps in just sliding over stuff. That combined with the brake differentials and rear locker, you really only need one tire to have traction to keep you going most of the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was in the same boat. I had a couple CJ7s back in high school and collage, then went the truck route for towing and having a bed. Most recently got rid of the f250 when we sold the camper, and was looking at wranglers, but they are in a whole different price point for what I could get with the KL, and it does more than enough of what I need off-road, not to mention twice as comfortable on road. I do wish the aftermarket support was a little higher, but there are at least a few good options for stuff out there. While it doesn't have the articulation a solid axle vehicle will have, have the entire bottom basically flat with skip plates, really helps in just sliding over stuff. That combined with the brake differentials and rear locker, you really only need one tire to have traction to keep you going most of the time.
Yeah I perfectly understand the appeal and enjoyment that comes from driving a Wrangler or any other solid axle vehicle but for a majority of my needs I just don’t need that kind of performance. The KL is perfect for what I need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In light of your [extreme] situation, for lighting I would go beyond an HID kit and LED fog lights. Too bad you've already paid a premium for those upgrades (you can find equally good/better for less... :-/ ), but I would suggest you add auxiliary lights, like a quality combo light bar or quality wide + narrow beam pod lights. Even with an HID kit, the beam pattern of the projectors is narrow. Fog lights throw wide but not far ahead, good for low speeds only.
What would be your recommendation for headlight and fog light upgrades? I can always return the MFC’s or keep them as backups. As an older car guy I’m used to having redundant parts on hand.

I will also definitely be installing some off-road/driving lights somewhere. Both on the front and mounted to whichever roof rack I decide to go with. Likely a Gobi stealth but I’m still deciding.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with adding the lights and dodging the deer! Looking forward to your results.

Please tell me you did not name your Jeep "Westley". ;)
(Because no one would be afraid of the Dread Pirate Westley.) :D

Reactions: DreadPirateRoberts

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
What would be your recommendation for headlight and fog light upgrades? I can always return the MFC’s or keep them as backups. As an older car guy I’m used to having redundant parts on hand.

I will also definitely be installing some off-road/driving lights somewhere. Both on the front and mounted to whichever roof rack I decide to go with. Likely a Gobi stealth but I’m still deciding.
What model year Cherokee do you have ? Trim ?

First, for fog lights : https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Light...ite+fog+lights+wrangler&qid=1623359791&sr=8-2
(many of us have these ^^, can't be beat for the price. The ones you have on order aren't any better...)

For headlights, supposing you have factory halogen headlights, you have options considering your predicament. Starting with an HID kit could be done, but like I said up there the beam pattern is not wide enough for deer spotting (high and low beams). Just between you and me, you'll need to cheat the law a little here... because for deer spotting/avoiding at speeds greater than, say, 40 mph, you'll need extra lights (meaning driving lights / light pods / light bar). At slower speeds, the combination of low beam HIDs + decent LED fog lights (like the Xprites) will get the job done ; if you add more wide beam auxiliary lights then even better.

For an HID kit I suggest a reputable vendor, The Retrofit Source's Morimoto kit (their least expensive) :
(you need to add the PWM option under 'Optional capacitor link')

They offer two more HID kits, one from Xenon Depot and the most expensive one from GTR Lighting.
I was going to suggest a DDM Tuning HID kit from Amazon, but they seem to have gone MIA ; maybe Amazon isn't playing nice since I'm in Canada... DDM Tuning kits could be bought for under $150, but there were a few challenges on installation on some Cherokees, just like with the kit you were planning to buy (possible bulb tab trimming and connector polarity reversal). As fas as I know, no such problems with the 3 kits from The Retrofit Source. Just be sure to get the optional PWM modules, for error cancelling.

Now for auxiliary lights : not my cup of tea, but many on here have experience with some good ones, I'm sure they'll chime in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts