2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching, but couldn’t find anything. Then again I’m on Tapatalk, which I’m not 100% familiar with.
Has anyone tried their HID headlight kits or LED fog light kits? Price seems pretty good to me. Wondering about the quality. Would any other lights need replaced so everything matches? I’ve only had my Cherokee for a week so am somewhat unfamiliar with the lighting layout. Are the DRL’s LED?
Sorry for the ignorance. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Their HID kits are 100% plug and play, no harness or canbus adapters to use other than drilling a hole in the dust covers for the wiring there is nothing else needed.

I run the MFC yellow fog lights so I can't comment on the white version matching the DRL's

As for the HID kit its a great upgrade from stock and as mentioned before no messing around with bulb out warnings or anything else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the MFC Off-road HID kit on my Cherokee for about a year now and I love it. Much improvement from factory lights. The HIDs have a little more of a blueish color to them than the daytime running lights but no big deal. Install was very easy as well. Id say go for it, you won’t regret it. I can try to get a picture of them on tomorrow if you’d like

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I think I’m going to pull the trigger after I order the SmartStopStart (so tired of constantly turning it off). Pics would be great if it isn’t an inconvenience! Now I just have to decide on which color fogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jeep CHerokee Trailhawk
14 Posts
I am very disappointed with my purchase of the MFC
20201117_BeforeTrim2.jpg
BeforeTrim1.jpg
20201121_AfterTrim1.jpg
20201121_234038.jpg
20201121_234121.jpg
OEM+HID Headlamps and OEM+Yellow LED Fog Lights.

The headlamps have actually decreased my driving confidence at night. I have a shadow projecting downrange that during left turns leaves the lane void of any meaningful illumination. The shadow is present regardless of turns and even straight line driving suffers from the described defect.

After the trim, there is even less light on the left side of the shadow, leaving the driver's side illumination wholly insufficient.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
20201117_BeforeTrim2.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee AD1 3.2
3 Posts
I am very disappointed with my purchase of the MFC View attachment 212526 View attachment 212527 View attachment 212528 View attachment 212529 View attachment 212530 OEM+HID Headlamps and OEM+Yellow LED Fog Lights.

The headlamps have actually decreased my driving confidence at night. I have a shadow projecting downrange that during left turns leaves the lane void of any meaningful illumination. The shadow is present regardless of turns and even straight line driving suffers from the described defect.

After the trim, there is even less light on the left side of the shadow, leaving the driver's side illumination wholly insufficient.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
View attachment 212526 View attachment 212527 View attachment 212528 View attachment 212529 View attachment 212530 View attachment 212526
you find a solution here???

·
Registered
2016 Jeep CHerokee Trailhawk
14 Posts
Yeah, as you've already read by now, we did get this remedied. Thanks to Mark and Tyler for explaining the finer details.

The MFC instructions indicate a possible need for trimming if shadows are visible, but does not go into detail as to why. In my case it was because the installers placed the bulbs so that the filament was at the 1 o'clock position instead of as close to the 6 o' clock as possible. Without having done the work myself, I am assuming the trimming is necessary so that the housing can be rotated and allow the tabs to be able to fit at different positions.

Either way, once you get it right, the difference is a game changer compared to those stock halogens. I'm also pleased with how similar the HID K temp matches the led accent lights.

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
To give you an idea, see pictures of both 9012 and 9005 bulbs. Pay close attention to the tabs. 2014 - early 2016s have 9012 bulbs, later 2016 - 2017s have 9005s (halogens). Headlamps are designed accordingly. You can imagine trying to rotate a bulb, the "fatter" tab won't fit into a slot designed for a smaller one, so you need to trim. This should not happen, ideally. Kit vendors should supply the correct bulbs for the Cherokee's model year (2016s are special, you could have 9012 or 9005, so you have to investigate a little to know which one you have/need).

Problem I'm seeing with some kits : for 9012 headlamps, they can supply 9006 bulbs instead, which are kinda close to 9012s... but not a perfect match as far as tabs go. A 9006 will fit into a 9005-ready lamp though.
Another problem with some kits : although tabs may fit one way directly, no trimming required, the wire will be in the wrong spot and cause a shadow ; in that case, trimming and then clocking is required.
So unless the vendor is aware and willing to sell the correct 9012 or 9005 kits, you'll have problems out of the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts