2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
I just had the battery warrantied last week. And with the RCV axle upgrade it's fine. Along with power stop drilled and slotted rotors and pads.

Registered
I just had the battery warrantied last week. And with the RCV axle upgrade it's fine. Along with power stop drilled and slotted rotors and pads.
If you say so...Good luck with all that...馃

Registered
If you say so...Good luck with all that...馃
Numerous Cherokee Trailhawk's with 265/70R17 and 255/75R17. The weak point is the CV on the front axles. RCV axles solve that problem.

Registered
Hello,

New 2021 Cherokee Elite Trailhawk owner. I have been reading the forums about upgrading my tires. Searched everywhere and noticed everyone saying 245/70/R17 were max fit without any modifications. I went ahead and ordered a 10ply Falken Wildpeak AT3W E/LT rated tire. Found a thread now stating that 30.5 is the max size and regretably the LT E rated version is 30.8. Has anyone purchsed these and installed them? How badly do they rub? I have ordered them but they have not arrived. Not sure if I can return them.
I know the 10ply is heavier etc etc. I live in the Rockies and explore FSR (Forest Service Roads) and off road trails with sharp rock and shale hence the reason for 10ply.

Any help would be appreacited

Registered
Hello,

New 2021 Cherokee Elite Trailhawk owner. I have been reading the forums about upgrading my tires. Searched everywhere and noticed everyone saying 245/70/R17 were max fit without any modifications. I went ahead and ordered a 10ply Falken Wildpeak AT3W E/LT rated tire. Found a thread now stating that 30.5 is the max size and regretably the LT E rated version is 30.8. Has anyone purchsed these and installed them? How badly do they rub? I have ordered them but they have not arrived. Not sure if I can return them.
I know the 10ply is heavier etc etc. I live in the Rockies and explore FSR (Forest Service Roads) and off road trails with sharp rock and shale hence the reason for 10ply.

Welcome from Utah!!! The 245/70/17's should be fine, although very close, but you'll be sorry that you went with the LT 10 ply, or whatever they are, it's going to ride like a Sherman tank. The standard P rated would have worked just fine. The Wildpeaks are a sturdy tire to begin with. You don't need an E load rated tire, It's a Cherokee, not an F-250. I would revise your order, if it's not to late...馃槑

Registered
Hello,

Even the Wildpeak AT3W non-E/LT tires are better than a standard P tire (they call them "XL"). I think 3 ply. Tire weight is the main issue to me. I just put General grabber ATX 245 70 17s on my TH. They are 3 ply with some kind of fancy cushion layer in there. I immediately noticed the smoother ride over the stock Firestone Destination ATs (42K miles on them). Might just be the new tire effect.... I do like the extra "ply" for the rocky roads, but it's still all rubber vs rock down there. Anything can happen.

I'm already forgetting the ratings and classes etc.... from the tire obsessed shopping days, but I think the Wildpeak AT3W and Grabber ATX tires are C load (Falken calls this "XL") both 14/32 depth.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Welcome from Utah!!! The 245/70/17's should be fine, although very close, but you'll be sorry that you went with the LT 10 ply, or whatever they are, it's going to ride like a Sherman tank. The standard P rated would have worked just fine. The Wildpeaks are a sturdy tire to begin with. You don't need an E load rated tire, It's a Cherokee, not an F-250. I would revise your order, if it's not to late...馃槑
Thank you for the quick response. I was able to return them. Purchased the XL version tire.

Registered
Even the Wildpeak AT3W non-E/LT tires are better than a standard P tire (they call them "XL"). I think 3 ply. Tire weight is the main issue to me. I just put General grabber ATX 245 70 17s on my TH. They are 3 ply with some kind of fancy cushion layer in there. I immediately noticed the smoother ride over the stock Firestone Destination ATs (42K miles on them). Might just be the new tire effect.... I do like the extra "ply" for the rocky roads, but it's still all rubber vs rock down there. Anything can happen.

I'm already forgetting the ratings and classes etc.... from the tire obsessed shopping days, but I think the Wildpeak AT3W and Grabber ATX tires are C load (Falken calls this "XL") both 14/32 depth.
The destination AT tires are really bad. I work for a towing company in the mountains. In the winter we have so many people with those tires in the ditch. Our trucks run Falken for our small vehicles. Large trucks run Good year.

Registered
The destination AT tires are really bad.
I'll have to disagree with that, they are actually a hell of a lot better all around tire than a lot of more popular, better known brands. Are they equal to say KO2's offroad? No, but they are a hell of a lot better on road. They aren't terrible offroad, I ran them across every Jeep trail in Moab, and cruised easily up and down the Rockies through many heavy snowfalls...馃槑

Registered
Now, I did change them out with Toyo O/C A/TIII's, but I wanted something more aggressive, and a little tougher, but for someone that wants a good A/T, and doesn't do a lot of rugged offloading, they are actually a pretty decent choice...馃槑

Reactions: DizzyPope

Registered
I'd like to upgrade to bigger tires on my stock 16 Trailhawk which came with 245/65/17's.
These are 29.5" high.
Does anyone know what the max size upgrade we could go with?
Would 265/70/17's fit which would be 31.6" high?
Thanks
Charlie
265 /65 r17 are 30 and 1/2 inch with out adjusting wheel wells there to big. 26/70 r17 are even bigger so I say no

Registered
I'd like to upgrade to bigger tires on my stock 16 Trailhawk which came with 245/65/17's.
These are 29.5" high.
Does anyone know what the max size upgrade we could go with?
Would 265/70/17's fit which would be 31.6" high?
Thanks
Charlie
265/70 r17 are to big. Unless your going to do body cutting and fender adjust ment

Registered
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, Cold, Mopar hitch, MFC HID's, 245/70R17 KO2's and LED Fogs
It still isn't completely clear if 245/70R17 will fit a no-lift TH without rubbing. It sounds like each tire is a little different even when they share the same measurements.

Despite the uncertainty, I purchased five 245/70R17 BF Goodrich K02's (General Grabber ATX are completely sold out everywhere) and really hope I don't have any issues. Mopar's buy 3 get 1 for a dollar was too much to pass up.

I will report my findings once they are (or aren't) installed later this week.

Registered
It still isn't completely clear if 245/70R17 will fit a no-lift TH without rubbing. It sounds like each tire is a little different even when they share the same measurements.

Despite the uncertainty, I purchased five 245/70R17 BF Goodrich K02's (General Grabber ATX are completely sold out everywhere) and really hope I don't have any issues. Mopar's buy 3 get 1 for a dollar was too much to pass up.

I will report my findings once they are (or aren't) installed later this week.
You should be fine. They for sure fit 2019+...馃槑

Reactions: praq1966
41 - 54 of 54 Posts