2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up driving a 3 speed on the column f 100, then just about every vehicle had a stick shift, i can drive a 10/2 semi and i ride motorcycles so I am very familiar with shifting.

i tried out the manual shift last night on my TH. from a light, in first gear shifting around 5000-6000rpms the jeep would continue accelerating and then like 2-3 seconds later shift. this happened through every gear until 5th. upshifting past 5th did nothing as the tranny stayed in 5th ( i was doing about 50 i think). I tried this again several times in normal city traffic and there is a good 2-3 second delay between me shifting and the gears changing. It may even be longer, but it is for sure noticeable. Additionally if i leave a stop and just upshift to 5th the trans will do its thing until 5th. really weird to me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 2014-2018 models have ERS...Electronic Range Select. It's only there to select the maximum gear the transmission will select...it won't manually shift the transmission. So, setting your ERS to 5th gear will let the transmission shift normally to 5th gear, but wont allow it to shift to 6-9.

2019+ models have auto-stick. This lets you manually shift to your gear of choice as long as it's in the parameters of the PCM. It won't let you shift to 9 at 30mph, for example.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2014-2018 models have ERS...Electronic Range Select. It's only there to select the maximum gear the transmission will select...it won't manually shift the transmission. So, setting your ERS to 5th gear will let the transmission shift normally to 5th gear, but wont allow it to shift to 6-9.

2019+ models have auto-stick. This lets you manually shift to your gear of choice as long as it's in the parameters of the PCM. It won't let you shift to 9 at 30mph, for example.
well, that is rather disappointing. thank you for the info.

·
Registered
435 Posts
well, that is rather disappointing. thank you for the info.
Ya, I was frustrated with it at first as well, but once you know what it's doing, it's gives you just as much control when you need additional torque as a manual, i.e. you can always force a downshift and you can keep it in 1st when you need to.

And on upshifts, the computer is programmed to keep you in the highest gear possible anyway, almost too much so in AUTO, unless you're heavy on the accelerator.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
You can use ERS as a manual shift mode. But its sucks and is terribly slow in its reaction time. The vehicle has a soft limiter at 6700rpm and a hard limiter at 6900rpm. Since the tach lags by as much as 200rpm at times, finding the timing to upshift just right without hitting the rev limiter is very hard.

Example here

Let the computer shift itself, the vehicle is quicker that way anyways

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd be happy if my '15 would just display the gear it's in when I'm in auto. Seems like a firmware update to me. Not too many lines of code, either.

-Rob
I'm onboard with this - very frustrating it wasn't included from manufacter and even more so that it hasn't been added since. It'd also be nice to have the option to have the buttons on back of the steering wheel operate as paddle shifters for ERS - ie. have option for those to switch to that function when you select ers on the shifter... All this shud be easily programmable surely?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its not easily programmed. If you want to change ANYTHING in the transmission you require. HP Tuners MPVI2 Module + 4 Credits. Which is $500 USD. You then need to program the BCM if you add paddles or if you want to change the ERS to autostick mode. This is another $150. So you are looking at approx $650 USD and then someone who will charge you for programming the Transmission and at present there are 3 people in the world that know how to program the transmission, i'm one of them.
So in short no its not a firmware update nor is it overly easy and if you did have warranty it would certainly be voided after doing this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry, my comment was a bit ambiguous - I wasn't suggesting programming those things by owners - I meant they're things I'd imagine are easy for JEEP to modify / incorporate into the vehicle systems.

And what I'm talking about has nothing to do with transmission programming - I'm talking about:
1. Displaying on the panel what gear the trans is running (isn't that already available on later models? - why not an update to give it to earlier ones??).
2. Offering an Evic Driving Options item to make the buttons on the backside of the steering wheel control ERS when the shifter is pushed across to the ERS position (on models before steering wheel paddles came out). For autostick models without padels then engage those buttons for the Autostick. I wasn't suggesting retro-programming autostick into ERS models tho.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My ‘19 does not display the gear when in drive, just D. And neither did any other vehicle I’ve owned in the past 15 years (from 5 different manuacturers). All had a “manual” trans shifting option, which did show the gear as do all KLs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry, my comment was a bit ambiguous - I wasn't suggesting programming those things by owners - I meant they're things I'd imagine are easy for JEEP to modify / incorporate into the vehicle systems.

And what I'm talking about has nothing to do with transmission programming - I'm talking about:
1. Displaying on the panel what gear the trans is running (isn't that already available on later models? - why not an update to give it to earlier ones??).
2. Offering an Evic Driving Options item to make the buttons on the backside of the steering wheel control ERS when the shifter is pushed across to the ERS position (on models before steering wheel paddles came out). For autostick models without padels then engage those buttons for the Autostick. I wasn't suggesting retro-programming autostick into ERS models tho.
If you want to know what gear you're in, move the shifter to the ERS position and select 9 as your top gear range. The transmission will work as normal then, and show which gear you are in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My ‘19 does not display the gear when in drive, just D. And neither did any other vehicle I’ve owned in the past 15 years (from 5 different manuacturers). All had a “manual” trans shifting option, which did show the gear as do all KLs.

My 2019 doesn't show what gear I am in either. But my 2014 F150 has a transmission gear indicator that shows what gear I am currently running in.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you want to know what gear you're in, move the shifter to the ERS position and select 9 as your top gear range. The transmission will work as normal then, and show which gear you are in.
Pretty sure our 2014 TH does NOT do that - ie. when we knock it across to ERS the CURRENT gear is displayed and becomes the selected ERS selection - and THAT gear stays as the display regardless of whether the trans downshifts etc. The only thing that changes that displayed gear is toggling the ERS plus or minus - SO - we can toggle it to select 9 - but that's the number it will STAY displaying unless we toggle back down.

It's the functionality you describe that those of us with earlier models which DON'T have it - want in our cars - and which I'll say again shouldn't be too hard for Jeep to do as an optional or even std update thing (ie. selectable option thru evic).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Pretty sure our 2014 TH does NOT do that - ie. when we knock it across to ERS the CURRENT gear is displayed and becomes the selected ERS selection - and THAT gear stays as the display regardless of whether the trans downshifts etc. The only thing that changes that displayed gear is toggling the ERS plus or minus - SO - we can toggle it to select 9 - but that's the number it will STAY displaying unless we toggle back down.

It's the functionality you describe that those of us with earlier models which DON'T have it - want in our cars - and which I'll say again shouldn't be too hard for Jeep to do as an optional or even std update thing (ie. selectable option thru evic).
AFAIK on the 2014-2018, it should display 2 numbers when you go into ERS...one small, and one large. The small numbers is your ERS top gear, the large number is the current gear. If it doesn't do that on the earlier models, it's news to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
AFAIK on the 2014-2018, it should display 2 numbers when you go into ERS...one small, and one large. The small numbers is your ERS top gear, the large number is the current gear. If it doesn't do that on the earlier models, it's news to me.

No, models before 2016 do NOT have that function (I guess you learn something new every day, hey?)... - and like I said (and others in that linked thread) for those of us with EARLIER models it's frustrating something that should be so simple for the factory to give us thru a software update hasn't been done - AND - it would be also great if non paddleshift models were given that functionality thru software option programming BY THE FACTORY via using the buttons already on the back of the wheel (which I personally never use).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd be happy if my '15 would just display the gear it's in when I'm in auto. Seems like a firmware update to me. Not too many lines of code, either.

-Rob
Put the lever in the manual position and shift it up to 9 and leave it there. The car will shift normally and display the gear you are in.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That only works for 2016+ models
And then somewhat differently for 2019+ as we now have the full manual shift so realtime gear display in manual mode.
Thought you moved on from the Cherokee??

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
And then somewhat differently for 2019+ as we now have the full manual shift so realtime gear display in manual mode.
Thought you moved on from the Cherokee??
The 2014 is the new testing mule.
2019+ models have autostick vs ERS, however autostick can be enabled on previous years with AlfaOBD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts