2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 high altitude
94 Posts
Happens to me all the time before the dryer I can usually drop back to drive but then have to carefully watch the roller on the driver side

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
45 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.2L. I have been having major safety concerns at the car wash.

I live in upstate NY and go to a touchless car wash where I pull onto a track, place the car in neutral, the track propels me through the wash tunnel, and at the end of the wash a green light indicates it is time to put the vehicle in drive and drive away.

I have combed the internet and haven't necessarily found what I am looking for -- please shut my post down or link other relevant discussions if I am being verbose or this has already been answered seven ways 'til Sunday.

I'd say 25% of the time, regardless of wash location (I go between four different locations of the same car wash) my Cherokee makes an audible ding and a yellow warning pops up on the gauge cluster telling me I need to shift gears when I am anywhere from 1%-99% through with my wash. When this happen, I panic, because once the roller releases my vehicle free from the wash tunnel, when I put my Cherokee into DRIVE and hit the gas the vehicle DOES NOTHING. It is essentially stalled, a $37,000 paperweight, and it does NOT move forward despite being in DRIVE and me pressing the gas.

The only remedy I have found that works is to put the car in PARK, SHUT THE CAR OFF, TURN IT BACK ON, AND PUT IT IN DRIVE. At that point, when I feather the gas, the vehicle drives as it should.

What's going on here? Has anyone had or heard of this specific issue? I had a wash manager last year tell me that they hate Cherokee's because they "act funky."

I'm afraid (by proxy of my stalled vehicle) I will be found at-fault for any collisions that occur. Tonight was my closest call yet to being rear ended despite honking like crazy to get an attendant to be present to mitigate a collision by pausing the wash if needed.

Can anyone advise?

P.S. Two weeks after I got my Cherokee, an absolute moron crashed into my front driver's side headlight area and caused 6k in damage. Repair shop failed to do a post-scan which would've told them they needed to replace the hood latch, so when I got my vehicle back, it would do the same thing when at various full-stops (stop signs, red lights) when the vehicle was in DRIVE, requiring the vehicle to be placed into park, the car shut off, turned back on again, and put back into drive in order to move forward. Same warning lights and everything. Is my above issue potentially related? If it is I will scream -- that accident between the at-fault driver and the collision shop's 'big goof' was already litigated.

Thanks!

TL;DR -- when I put car into Drive from Neutral at end of car wash tunnel, car is essentially stalled, and does not move forward despite pressing gas.
Sounds like Delta Sonic Car wash. I remember the first time I took my TH through I panicked. Interestingly it doesn't ask me to tap the brake all the time I when I go threw in Neutral. I think it depends on how fast the rollers are pushing you threw. Penfield here.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts