2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.2L. I have been having major safety concerns at the car wash.

I live in upstate NY and go to a touchless car wash where I pull onto a track, place the car in neutral, the track propels me through the wash tunnel, and at the end of the wash a green light indicates it is time to put the vehicle in drive and drive away.

I have combed the internet and haven't necessarily found what I am looking for -- please shut my post down or link other relevant discussions if I am being verbose or this has already been answered seven ways 'til Sunday.

I'd say 25% of the time, regardless of wash location (I go between four different locations of the same car wash) my Cherokee makes an audible ding and a yellow warning pops up on the gauge cluster telling me I need to shift gears when I am anywhere from 1%-99% through with my wash. When this happen, I panic, because once the roller releases my vehicle free from the wash tunnel, when I put my Cherokee into DRIVE and hit the gas the vehicle DOES NOTHING. It is essentially stalled, a $37,000 paperweight, and it does NOT move forward despite being in DRIVE and me pressing the gas.

The only remedy I have found that works is to put the car in PARK, SHUT THE CAR OFF, TURN IT BACK ON, AND PUT IT IN DRIVE. At that point, when I feather the gas, the vehicle drives as it should.

What's going on here? Has anyone had or heard of this specific issue? I had a wash manager last year tell me that they hate Cherokee's because they "act funky."

I'm afraid (by proxy of my stalled vehicle) I will be found at-fault for any collisions that occur. Tonight was my closest call yet to being rear ended despite honking like crazy to get an attendant to be present to mitigate a collision by pausing the wash if needed.

Can anyone advise?

P.S. Two weeks after I got my Cherokee, an absolute moron crashed into my front driver's side headlight area and caused 6k in damage. Repair shop failed to do a post-scan which would've told them they needed to replace the hood latch, so when I got my vehicle back, it would do the same thing when at various full-stops (stop signs, red lights) when the vehicle was in DRIVE, requiring the vehicle to be placed into park, the car shut off, turned back on again, and put back into drive in order to move forward. Same warning lights and everything. Is my above issue potentially related? If it is I will scream -- that accident between the at-fault driver and the collision shop's 'big goof' was already litigated.

Thanks!

TL;DR -- when I put car into Drive from Neutral at end of car wash tunnel, car is essentially stalled, and does not move forward despite pressing gas.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.2L. I have been having major safety concerns at the car wash.

I live in upstate NY and go to a touchless car wash where I pull onto a track, place the car in neutral, the track propels me through the wash tunnel, and at the end of the wash a green light indicates it is time to put the vehicle in drive and drive away.

I have combed the internet and haven't necessarily found what I am looking for -- please shut my post down or link other relevant discussions if I am being verbose or this has already been answered seven ways 'til Sunday.

I'd say 25% of the time, regardless of wash location (I go between four different locations of the same car wash) my Cherokee makes an audible ding and a yellow warning pops up on the gauge cluster telling me I need to shift gears when I am anywhere from 1%-99% through with my wash. When this happen, I panic, because once the roller releases my vehicle free from the wash tunnel, when I put my Cherokee into DRIVE and hit the gas the vehicle DOES NOTHING. It is essentially stalled, a $37,000 paperweight, and it does NOT move forward despite being in DRIVE and me pressing the gas.

The only remedy I have found that works is to put the car in PARK, SHUT THE CAR OFF, TURN IT BACK ON, AND PUT IT IN DRIVE. At that point, when I feather the gas, the vehicle drives as it should.

What's going on here? Has anyone had or heard of this specific issue? I had a wash manager last year tell me that they hate Cherokee's because they "act funky."

I'm afraid (by proxy of my stalled vehicle) I will be found at-fault for any collisions that occur. Tonight was my closest call yet to being rear ended despite honking like crazy to get an attendant to be present to mitigate a collision by pausing the wash if needed.

Can anyone advise?

P.S. Two weeks after I got my Cherokee, an absolute moron crashed into my front driver's side headlight area and caused 6k in damage. Repair shop failed to do a post-scan which would've told them they needed to replace the hood latch, so when I got my vehicle back, it would do the same thing when at various full-stops (stop signs, red lights) when the vehicle was in DRIVE, requiring the vehicle to be placed into park, the car shut off, turned back on again, and put back into drive in order to move forward. Same warning lights and everything. Is my above issue potentially related? If it is I will scream -- that accident between the at-fault driver and the collision shop's 'big goof' was already litigated.

Thanks!

TL;DR -- when I put car into Drive from Neutral at end of car wash tunnel, car is essentially stalled, and does not move forward despite pressing gas.
I don't have that problem, but you do have to be quick on the brake, and shift into drive. You don't have to stop, just tap, and shift. It will shift into the drive position on the shifter, but it won't engage into drive without a little brake. As far as alarms going off while it's pushing you through in neutral, that's never happened to me...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have that problem, but you do have to be quick on the brake, and shift into drive. You don't have to stop, just tap, and shift. It will shift into the drive position on the shifter, but it won't engage into drive without a little brake. As far as alarms going off while it's pushing you through in neutral, that's never happened to me...馃槑
Thanks for your feedback. I know a few Cherokee owners (it's why I'm leasing one myself) and this has not been an issue for them, but they also rarely wash their cars, if ever. Take care!

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
I think they are definitely related. It's a 2020, so I assume you have a warranty. I would document the situation, get a code reader and pull codes if you want, but take it to a dealer!

Reactions: UN4GTBL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they are definitely related. It's a 2020, so I assume you have a warranty. I would document the situation, get a code reader and pull codes if you want, but take it to a dealer!
Oh no! Maybe that is why I didn't find any forums online that synced with my exact issue. Eight months today I got my Cherokee so it should be under warranty, but still -- the headache! Thanks so much for your reply!

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Note: I didn't see where there was a check engine light. That would present a least one OBDII code to read. No code and your dealer may be hard pressed to duplicate the problem. Can't duplicate, can't resolve, right?

Have you tried the car wash with the engine off? Are all of the under the hood connectors secure (unlock, remove and re-seat to check)? Any loose connections anywhere (battery)? There's an answer hiding here and you can likely find it, but you may have to turn a lot of stones to get there. Good luck.

Reactions: subie17

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note: I didn't see where there was a check engine light. That would present a least one OBDII code to read. No code and your dealer may be hard pressed to duplicate the problem. Can't duplicate, can't resolve, right?

Have you tried the car wash with the engine off? Are all of the under the hood connectors secure (unlock, remove and re-seat to check)? Any loose connections anywhere (battery)? There's an answer hiding here and you can likely find it, but you may have to turn a lot of stones to get there. Good luck.
You are correct -- no check engine light, just an error message to shift the vehicle into gear, which by that point is too late to do so without having to restart the car in order to make the car drivable once again.

I've never tried going through the wash tunnel with the engine off, I wonder what would happen if I shut the engine off while in neutral with the error message present and restarted as I exited the wash.

Thanks for your answer, the food for thought, and the potential avenues towards a solution. I am curious myself to know what this issue ultimately is. Be well!

Registered
I'll echo that the chime and light are safety "features". In my experience, my wash doesn't pull the car fast enough (in most cases) to trigger the chime and warning. Sometimes, however, another vehicle bumping the chain will cause a slight momentary increase in forward speed while in N. This will cause the chime to sound and the warning message. I believe the threshold is if the vehicle travels greater than 1mph while in N, it triggers the "feature".

At any rate, when you get to the end of the tunnel, a quick tap of the brake while shifting to D should get you moving. You don't need to slow or stop, just tap the brake and shift at the same time.

Registered
Hi all,

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

That is not normal behavior. Mine prompts me to put it back in park to shift gears in the situation but all I have to do is tap the brake, shift to park for a split second and then put it in drive and go.

Take the vehicle back to the dealer for sure. What you are describing is dangerous.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your feedback.

When the chime/warning doesn't go off, I can simply just shift from N to D without tapping the brake and I move forward normally.

It does appear from your comments as if this is an issue specific to my vehicle. Just ducky! I'll take it in as soon as I can and update you all.

Registered
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
I agree with toofastgtp, I have a 2019 and when I get to the end of the wash line I tap the brake and then shift into drive. I dont like it either but it works. You shouldnt have to turn the Jeep off and restart.
'19 Cherokee here. We have a subscription to a carwash that is similar to what you describe. I've found that if I attempt the shift from N to D while the track is pushing the car and it registers 1MPH, it just slides into gear. If the Speedo reads 0MPH it dings and says to put foot on brake.

I've not tried "tapping" the brake, but would probably work. Just enough pressure to light up the tail lamps, and tell the computer that you are "on top of the situation".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
'19 Cherokee here. We have a subscription to a carwash that is similar to what you describe. I've found that if I attempt the shift from N to D while the track is pushing the car and it registers 1MPH, it just slides into gear. If the Speedo reads 0MPH it dings and says to put foot on brake.

I've not tried "tapping" the brake, but would probably work. Just enough pressure to light up the tail lamps, and tell the computer that you are "on top of the situation".
Ah! Yes! This resonates!

I forgot to include this key detail, but when the speedometer reads 0 MPH, my chaos I described above ensues. Sometimes the car will "snap out of it" if it reads 1 MPH again and I can easily shift into drive and drive away with no problems.

What an interesting idiosyncrasy. I'll definitely be trying your suggestion before I take it to a dealer. I always find too many cooks in the kitchen to be more problematic than just one master chef, so I hope I can find a safe solution without having to have my vehicle in a shop for hours or days.

Registered
I tried multiple speeds rolling in neutral looking at the dash tells you exactly what to do even if you turn the vehicle off.
In all cases when rolling I was good to go with just a shift.
If it came to a stop after rolling got the ding and press brake lightly and shift at same time. As soon as you feather the brake message goes away.
If I was at a complete stop and shifted into neutral the ding would come on in about 10 secs and a slight press of the brake and shift at same time good to go.
Did multiple times testing until the other nag feature kicked in which was my wife saying what are you doing and rather than explain it to her I cancelled my test

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Sounds like a bunch of "Quick Quack" customers here!!! LOL...馃槑

Registered
I think you've definitely got something up with your Cherokee, but I will say that I absolutely HATE the Neutral to Drive safety system in the Cherokee, especially at the end of a car wash, it's absolutely infuriating and dangerous IMO, especially when there is a car behind you and you have to shift back to Neutral, apply the brakes and then back to Drive. I'd actually love to disable this on my Cherokee if possible.

My Caliber was a manual and I had it for 11+ years with zero safety nannies like this and I never had an issue.

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
Very interesting (and informative), I've only been through one of these types of car washes a few times (4) and have never gotten any messages, nor any engine issues. Perhaps the wash I use is slow enough to not trigger it.

Reactions: subie17

Registered
2016 high altitude
Hi all,

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Delta sonic has me very scared too Webster NY over here

1 - 20 of 23 Posts