2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to do an LS engine swap in a Trailhawk, or has anyone done it? It would be really nice to have that extra torque on the trail and be really fun to have an unassuming "mini van," as my co-workers call it, with a Corvette motor in it to blow past my friend's SRT Grand Cherokee. I'm thinking an LS 4 with the aluminum block so it's smaller and cools better than the steel block.

If a Delorian can take an LS with its crappy Renault gear box, the Cherokee should be able to do it with all the modern equipment.

Registered
Is it possible to do an LS engine swap in a Trailhawk, or has anyone done it? It would be really nice to have that extra torque on the trail and be really fun to have an unassuming "mini van," as my co-workers call it, with a Corvette motor in it to blow past my friend's SRT Grand Cherokee. I'm thinking an LS 4 with the aluminum block so it's smaller and cools better than the steel block.

If a Delorian can take an LS with its crappy Renault gear box, the Cherokee should be able to do it with all the modern equipment.
I guess anything is possible with mad skills, and deep pockets. Possible? Maybe. Practical? Not really...馃槑

Registered
You are trying to install an engine in a car that is set up for a RWD car into something that is a FWD based vehicle.

Its not impossible, but it isn't easy.

Also, do not assume the 9 speed can handle any extra power.

There is 0 application within FCA for a 9 speed with over 300 HP.

Everything that has a 3.6L/5.7L/6.4L putting out 300 HP or more is using the 8 speed.

Registered
While an LS 4 is a transverse engine (good start), you have several issues to contend with. 1) Size. Will the LS 4 even fit in the bay? 2) Transmission strength. Existing transmission can't handle a whole lot more - rated at 350 ft-lb max. 3) Mating with the transmission. Know of any adapter plates? Sounds custom (read: $$$$). Or you can replace the transmission with one compatible with the LS 4. 4) PTU. The PTU is attached to the transmission. I doubt (but could be wrong) that the Cherokee PTU would mount to any other transmission. 5) PCM. Jeep/Chevy. Like comparing Apples to Chevys. The PCM (ECU?) you substitute with the engine would need to be compatible with the existing relevant sensors or you'll need to replace the ones that aren't. 6) BCM. Will the BCM be able to communicate with a different PCM? What features will you lose? 7) Radio - many of the features are controlled through the radio. What else do you give up?

I'm sure I forgot many, many things.

Given enough money anything is possible. Practical? Probably not... but possible.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
The search function is your friend:

Registered
Projects like this usually end up with a totally disabled vehicle, difficult to sell. Too complicated, no aftermarket support, beyond the owner鈥檚 ability. Not recommended, but totally up to the OP....

Registered
If you decide to do it, I would buy a totaled 4cyl model that was lightly wrecked in the front. That way you can scrap the entire front end, do the LS swap without the front body parts in the way, and then install a Trailhawk front clip. Would be FAR cheaper that doing an LS swap on an actual Trailhawk. I would also try to use a GM transmission if possible. ANYTHING can be done with enough fabrication skills. I'm not sure if you know who "Rich Rebuilds" is on YouTube, but he has a project going on right now with a Tesla. He is doing the first LS swapped Tesla. MAJOR fabrication is involved to install a combustion engine in a vehicle that was never designed for it. Had to reshape the floor for a transmission tunnel, figure out where to mount a fuel tank, etc.

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Projects like this usually end up with a totally disabled vehicle, difficult to sell. Too complicated, no aftermarket support, beyond the owner鈥檚 ability. Not recommended, but totally up to the OP.....
Absolutely! If you are not the project owner, then you either live next door or you're his brother. Hard to imagine there won't be issues...

Registered
Can't believe this ridiculous thread isn't dead yet...馃槑

Reactions: GCWIMMER

Registered
Doesn鈥檛 matter, the drive-by OP hasn鈥檛 been back since his first and only post. Sometimes I wonder why we bother replying to this stuff....

Registered
Doesn鈥檛 matter, the drive-by OP hasn鈥檛 been back since his first and only post. Sometimes I wonder why we bother replying to this stuff....

Because it's fun effing with them?!?!馃槈

Reactions: Turbo2.0
1 - 12 of 12 Posts