2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Loud Whistle while in any gear/park/neutral with video....

15K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  subergen 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Keep getting a whistling noise on my 2015 KL Trailhawk Cherokee it happens in gear, neutral, park etc, doesnt go away while driving either, it started at about 200KMs I now have 500KMs on the clock I have no idea what it could be...any ideas?

Here is a link to a video of the noise...it will ask you to sign up but just hit the little x and it will show the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5f1ii52smy02m3/20150329_124919.mp4?dl=0

#4 ·
We have it as well. But ours seems to go away in Neutral or Park. Going to show the dealer with the next Oil change in April

#6 ·
Took my car into the service dept today, they advised it is the rear diff solenoid that controls the 4WD mechanism is buzzing. They are waiting on Jeep head office or something to determine what to do. Sounds like its going in to have some repairs done at under 600KMs on the clock.

#20 ·
Here is what fixed my whistle they had the car in the shop for 2 days

Did the noise ever come back after the repair? I think some people had replacements and they ended up making the same noise after a few weeks.

#9 · (Edited)
I have the same whistle. It only happens to my Cherokee in the morning when pulling out of the garage on a cold start. A whistling sound coming from near the rear axle. Then it goes away. I've had that problem for at least a few months. I took it to the dealer a few months ago when it started to occur and left it there so they could keep it over night to hear it on a cold start in the morning. They kept the vehicle there in their parking lot for three days, did not look at it, and finally I went there and they came out to the lot with me. I started it, put it in reverse and could hear the noise faintly, but they could not hear it. So I took it home. Been living with the problem ever since then. Eventually it probably will get worse and then they will hear the noise. Every time I hear that in the morning I figure that eventually something is going to go wrong and fail. Even if I let them know about what others have had fixed on this forum, they won't do anything until it is a real problem. I even brought a video recording to the dealer showing the problem and they would not listen to it. I posted on the forum previously about this problem. I've never had a vehicle before this one that whistles. Oh well...

Reactions: Duke2015
#10 · (Edited)
I have the same whistle on my 2015 TH as in the video.

I had it into the shop once already and they said they noticed the same sound on three other vehicles on the lot so "that's just the way they are".
I'll be taking it back in this week to talk with the service manager and showing him this thread.

Thank you for posting your results! I'll provide feedback on how mine turns out.

#12 · (Edited)
Mine is three weeks old and has had the whistle from day one. I hear it every time I stop at the coffee shop's drive-thru (I stop there often !), with my window down and the building's brick wall alongside enhancing the noise. I've also heard it while standing next to the idling Jeep. Park, neutral, drive, no difference. For now it's intriguing and I can live with it. Dogs in the neighborhood might hate me though...haha.

#13 ·
I as well have the same sound :( at first I thought id take it in but I figured it wasent such a big deal, guess Ill mention it to them when I bring it in for my first oil change.

#16 ·
2015 TH with the whistle off the lot. It's noticeable but I never assumed it signified anything was wrong.

#18 ·
Adding plastic washers sounds like something easy to try and apparently some dealer in Germany decided to tinker around and it worked. Not sure anybody here in North America would be so bold. In a way, doing this is a modification on a vehicule under warranty and should be sanctionned by FCA. Problem here is that FCA seems to not give a crap. How much would it cost to add a plastic/nylon washer ?

Mine has this whistle too and it is an irritant..

#19 ·
Hi All,

Keep getting a whistling noise on my 2015 KL Trailhawk Cherokee it happens in gear, neutral, park etc, doesnt go away while driving either, it started at about 200KMs I now have 500KMs on the clock I have no idea what it could be...any ideas?

Here is a link to a video of the noise...it will ask you to sign up but just hit the little x and it will show the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5f1ii52smy02m3/20150329_124919.mp4?dl=0
help! what is this?
i have a 4cyl FWD , all this time i didnt notice it, but outside the car, when the key is still in it or running, mine will have this high pitched whine also

what is it?! should i take it to the dealer soon? mine isnt as loud as a jet as in the video but it is a high pitch constant beep, you can only hear it outside or with the windows down,

#22 ·
Mine has it also. I asked about it last winter and was told that it was normal. They actually started 1 they had in the lot and showed me it also had the whistle. He said some people notice it but the majority don't. It doesn't bother me other than when it's in the garage.

#23 ·
I live in a twin home and the girl in the other unit has a 2015 KL Limited AD1 same as mine. We both have the whistle, I assume it's normal. That don't make it right, just means a lot of them do it.

Reactions: Duke2015
#24 ·
I have noticed a high pitched whine on many vehicles, audible from outside the vehicle. It is usually the fuel pump.

#27 ·
Try that to do a test...
when i remote start mine don't do the whistle but when i put and turn the key in the ignigition after the remote start the whisle begin... i'm the only one?

#28 ·
This is the exact noise I have. Did you ever get it resolved?

Thank you.

#29 ·
Hello everyone, I am sorry to hear that this whistling noise is a chronic problem, and I might have to live with it. I just bought my Cherokee and the dealer replaced the rear differential motor. Or box. I still have the noise. I had no idea this is a common problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.