2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently moved to Chattanooga, TN, and I'm looking for a dealership with a great service department. I'm looking to get the factory hitch and harness installed and I want a place that'll do it right the first time. Anyone on here live in the area and have a go-to dealership?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Pretty much. There was one in San Antonio, where I moved from, so I haven't completely lost hope yet.

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
I can't help with Chattanooga, but you may look at vehicle centers that perform various types of work including modifications and high quality work. Here in Erie, we have NFI Empire and I go to them for non-dealer work like the HazardSky lift they installed for me and services like tire rotation, alignments, state inspection and things like that.

When it comes to dealer specific work that's one thing, but otherwise take a good look around in your area. Keep in mind that the factory tow package includes things besides a hitch and wire harness.

Reactions: 007

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's a good idea. At this point, I think I'm just going to do it myself, though.

I know the factory tow package comes with more bits, like transmission cooler and probably beefed up suspension, but once the vehicle leaves the assembly line without it, you're relegated to the hitch and wiring harness only. I'm only going to be towing a small boat, so I'm not too worried about it.

Reactions: Leems

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
If I remember correctly: higher output alternator, oil cooler, transmission cooler and anti-sway bar in addition to the bumper cutout and better departure angle. I think that's it, but I did not go back and re-check this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I got the bumper cutout, too. . In fact, I picked up the entire rear fascia on eBay for a decent price.

Registered
I've been looking for one for 40 years. Someday.... Someday....:rolleyes:
I firmly believe that undisputable evidence of Bigfoot existing will occur before a great dealer service department is found. ;)

Registered
They are out there, I think my dealership provides great service and is modification friendly, but; maybe I am a little bias, since I am the Service Manager & Warranty Administrator ;)

Registered
They are out there, I think my dealership provides great service and is modification friendly, but; maybe I am a little bias, since I am the Service Manager & Warranty Administrator ;)
Modification friendly is the key piece for me. I really need to find one in Michigan. I'm thinking perhaps dealers in smaller towns might be a better option. The trouble with these newer vehicles is the witech software tools you need to do anything to bypass the security and the access to the FCA server to flash modules (curse you FCA). I need a service department willing to show me what they are capable of changing via this tool. Specifically enabling options like tow sales codes, paddle shifters/auto stick, rear fog lights, etc. My understanding is it is tied to VIN number so I would need to bring my vehicle in and hook it up for them to look. I would even pay for this information lol.

So how does someone find a mod friendly service dept? Do I just start calling all of them in the area to see if any are willing to work with me?

Registered
Specifically enabling options like tow sales codes, paddle shifters/auto stick, rear fog lights, etc. My understanding is it is tied to VIN number so I would need to bring my vehicle in and hook it up for them to look.
updating sales code is done through a different system, if a dealer installs a tow package or other options that were not put on at the factory they will update those codes. Normally a dealer will not update sales codes if they were installed by someone else.

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
If you buy their parts (CDJ Dealership/Mopar), then they should do everything to update the vehicle history. If you buy aftermarket parts and either apply them yourself or have someone else do it, the dealers would likely not touch it.

Maybe I'm wrong here on this one, but I've seen nothing to prove otherwise.

Registered
If you buy their parts (CDJ Dealership/Mopar), then they should do everything to update the vehicle history. If you buy aftermarket parts and either apply them yourself or have someone else do it, the dealers would likely not touch it.

Maybe I'm wrong here on this one, but I've seen nothing to prove otherwise.
If it鈥檚 installed at a CD JR Dealership buy a certified technician then It鈥檚 considered almost the same as being installed at the factory. If the part is sold to a customer and they install it itself then the sales codes will not be updated. Aftermarket parts installed by the customer can still be worked on at a dealership but carries no warranty other than what the aftermarket manufacture provides.

Example: you have a tow hitch and wiring installed on your 2020 Cherokee with 5,000 miles on at the dealership, the sales code is updated and you have a problem with the wiring a year from now, parts and labor are covered under warranty until your 3/36

you buy a tow package and wiring kit for the same vehicle and install at yourself, you have a problem with the wiring a year from now, If you have the receipt for the parts they carry a warranty of two years unlimited miles , but the labor is on you.

if you have it installed on a vehicle that is out of current warranty at the dealership, then you carry a two years unlimited miles parts warranty and labor.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I read on another thread on here that the OEM wiring harness will not function until the dealership modifies something on one of the computer modules. That doesn't make sense to me. It looks like it just plugs into the brake lights and power. What other logic could there be?

That's good to know about the warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts