2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front rotors are warped. The car vibrates and shudders when stopping. Also, I think the stopping distance is increased.

So I have 27,000 miles on it and my Trailhawk went into service on 4/15. I don't commute with it, and I don't brake hard....

With the 36000 mile warranty, what is the chance of getting the dealer to replace these rotors? 27,000 miles is way too low for new rotors....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Chance? Somewhere between zero and none. Brakes are covered under warranty until 11k miles. You’re beat unfortunately with 27k on the clock.

If it makes you feel better, my 2016 Charger with 24k on it does a side to side dance whenever I hit the brakes. I need my rotors turned, I just keep forgetting to do it.

Reactions: madchemist24

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My rotors started dancing around 30k and we’re completely gone by 40k. Put power stops on and I’m at 65k now and they’re as good as new.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I prefer raybestos advanced? with the coating, or centric with the coating.. up here in the salt belt.

Usually go OEM on pads but that was from years of badly fitting aftermarket pads on subaru(s).. havent done any research on our pad options yet.

if the rotors are warped turning them and making them thinner wont help for long..

Sometimes the pulsations are from uneven brake pad deposits.. you can usually tell by feeling the rotors..
Lightly sanding the rotors and rebedding the pads (mildly) can sometimes clear that up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My experience with a Silverado is that the rotors last much longer, but of course, this is not scientific evidence.

I have the life-time warranty.

My understanding is that to preserve the part of the warranty dealing with the braking system is that I will need a certified shop to put the after-market rotors and pads on. This has always been a problem since shops in my area insist on marking up their parts by huge amounts.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
My front rotors are warped. The car vibrates and shudders when stopping. Also, I think the stopping distance is increased.

So I have 27,000 miles on it and my Trailhawk went into service on 4/15. I don't commute with it, and I don't brake hard....

With the 36000 mile warranty, what is the chance of getting the dealer to replace these rotors? 27,000 miles is way too low for new rotors....
Take it in!
I have had rotors replaced under warranty on my previous 2 jeeps. My rotors were warped.
In fact my dealer replaced my rotors on my previous jeep 2 months out side the bumper to bumper part.
In fact your rotors should survive the first brake job with just a smoothing out. But it all depends on your driving. Also you may check your warranty items to see if they are now excluded.
I towed and that was rough on the front rotors. So I would tend to warp them out early.
I am approaching 30,000 now and all is good with my 2014. The rotors do look meatier on this Jeep compared to the prior ones. But rotors and brakes should last 3/36.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
My experience with a Silverado is that the rotors last much longer, but of course, this is not scientific evidence.

I have the life-time warranty.

My understanding is that to preserve the part of the warranty dealing with the braking system is that I will need a certified shop to put the after-market rotors and pads on. This has always been a problem since shops in my area insist on marking up their parts by huge amounts.

Any thoughts?
Rotors do last longer than a typical brake job. Rotors usually are required to be ground down only at the first brake job. But the front ones get lots more wear that the rear ones.

Actually You can get brakes/rotors done by what ever/who ever you want once you are out of the 3/36.
Certified is a good thing but most brake places are. I would imagine you could do it yourself as long as you know what you are doing. Grinding the rotors properly is a huge issue in operation of your brakes.
That alone adds to a do it yourself job.

Brakes and rotors are not covered under the life time warranty of course. Calipers are covered I believe.
Unless its obvious that a bad job/part caused the failure of covered part there would not be an issue.

One of the reasons I have my local Jeep dealer do all that work. Yes, its more expensive but I have always gotten a great lasting job from them on a repairs and maintenance work. I really believe, especially when dealing with a smaller dealer, its the relationship you build with them. They take good care of me.
Also I have a Max Care Life on mine and it is crucial that I follow the maintenance schedule to cover myself on that Lifetime. Also by having the dealer do all this work, except oil changes, warranty covered items can be taken care of also without a hassle as they happen.
If this jeep is anything like the prior ones I do not expect much to happen. That is unless the Transmission in my 2014 catches up to me.:surprise:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting read on warping.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1787

I have also heard of pulsing pedal caused by material transfer of material when brake is hot and brake is on for a long time material will transfer
from pad to brake and become less effective in that one area of the disc and therefor giving a warped disc sensation on the pedal.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Interesting read on warping.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1787

I have also heard of pulsing pedal caused by material transfer of material when brake is hot and brake is on for a long time material will transfer
from pad to brake and become less effective in that one area of the disc and therefor giving a warped disc sensation on the pedal.
Thanks,
Actually a very good read as the term warping is a misnomer to me now.
:surprise:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Do you generally make hard high speed stops? Those generally isolate heat to the individual spot of a rotor causing warping.

If you noticing warping at that low mileage, your driving habits MAY be a factor <<< please do not attack me for this. I am not speaking of you specifically, but mentioning a very typical factor that could be present .. you would know if this is the case and may not have realized it.

In the 90s I did a lot of drag racing/street racing. Hard fast braking killed my pads and rotors. I was replacing the rotors every 10-15K miles because they warped so bad and pads every 15-20K. After I stopped racing, the pads and rotors on my vehicles lasted 50K plus. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.