2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1059 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice work @ptrudel. Lets see if we can keep it on track for a little while longer!!

Two more have just been completed this weekend. Nice work Valpacer.

Mine goes up next weekend all going well.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Hey David, How did the lift install go? How is the ride now compared to the stock configuration? Did you try it off road? If so, how did it perform?
Thanks David!

David :grin:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Not done yet, hoping for this weekend if the bits arrive today.

Ride should be no different given its the same springs and shocks and from what I have been told by the others already done.

Fingers crossed will be ae to answer with personal experience this weekend!

Reactions: gravitywell

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP said he is using a TJ spacer. Did he say which one? I know the Aussies have a few brands down there that are regional but they also get US parts too. This would be a great option if we can use Daystar spacers mainly for their price. I like myfirstcherokee's idea but I cringe at the thought of $500-600 for a 1.25" (or which ever size) spacer. I just bought spacers and sway bar links for my wrangler and spent $160, and when I put spacers (aluminum and US made) on my Frontier it was $65 for two. CNC isn't that pricey. Not to take away from what hes doing I just think its pricey.

·
Registered
500 Posts
David... Could you give us more details about the bits? If it's not too much asking. I want to lift my rig for this summer and I would like to know about the different possible options....

thanks

David

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hi everyone, apologies for slow reply, I have been liaising with Valpacer and wanted his OK before adding any further details. He has released a writeup of what he did and when I am back at my computer I can access it and give all details.

This will also not be everyones cup of tea the way the it's done and will be up to the individual to decide if it is for them or not. It involves 2 x 10mm coil spacers for the rear each side (one above the top and one below the bottom stock coil insulators) to give a total of 20mm additional coil height that translates to 30mm higher wheel position. Fronts involve adjusting the strut position in the front knuckle by about 15mm or so whuch translates to 30mm front wheel lift. The strut is held in by clamping forces and all testing so far has indicated no detrimental effects. It is also fully reversible of course. This front adjustment os a method that has been used on Grand Cherokees in the past with no issues either.

Like I said, it wont be everyones acceptable solution and the information is provided at no cost and with no responsibility for the results.

If you dont like the idea then please simply ignore this post and dont post negative comments. I am simply the conveyor of someone elses idea that I will be implementing myself. Unfortunately not this weekend as planned though as some **** forgot to order the parts from head office that I already paid for!!

If you are unsure and want reassurance please consult your own independant mechanic with the information amd make your decisions from there.

I will attach the original writeup later today as mentioned above.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi everyone, apologies for slow reply, I have been liaising with Valpacer and wanted his OK before adding any further details. He has released a writeup of what he did and when I am back at my computer I can access it and give all details.

This will also not be everyones cup of tea the way the it's done and will be up to the individual to decide if it is for them or not. It involves 2 x 10mm coil spacers for the rear each side (one above the top and one below the bottom stock coil insulators) to give a total of 20mm additional coil height that translates to 30mm higher wheel position. Fronts involve adjusting the strut position in the front knuckle by about 15mm or so whuch translates to 30mm front wheel lift. The strut is held in by clamping forces and all testing so far has indicated no detrimental effects. It is also fully reversible of course. This front adjustment os a method that has been used on Grand Cherokees in the past with no issues either.

Like I said, it wont be everyones acceptable solution and the information is provided at no cost and with no responsibility for the results.

If you dont like the idea then please simply ignore this post and dont post negative comments. I am simply the conveyor of someone elses idea that I will be implementing myself. Unfortunately not this weekend as planned though as some **** forgot to order the parts from head office that I already paid for!!

If you are unsure and want reassurance please consult your own independant mechanic with the information amd make your decisions from there.

I will attach the original writeup later today as mentioned above.

Are you posting the info on this thread?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yes mate, later on today (I am still at work, its 2.40pm Friday arvo here)

Reactions: Mikey Swift

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Ok. Valpacer has given his consent for the writeup of his install to go up so click here to open the PDF!

As I mentioned above, this is not a sanctioned modification by anyone, it is simply a fellow jeeper who did something to his own vehicle he is sharing. I am not the designer of this modification and no warranties to its fitness for purpose are implied or offered. That said I applaud his work and will be doing same to my own vehicle as soon as the spacers I ordered arrive.... Unfortunately it looks like the local ARB store I ordered and paid for them at has forgotten to order them....

As stated by VP - this info is offered at $0.00 and full refund will be given to anyone who wants to return them >:D

Any constructive questions or comments on the work required please feel free to add below and I am happy to field and will answer where I can. Bearing in mind I have not yet done this to my own vehicle but do have a good knowledge of what is required.

If you are against this modification, please head over to other threads and move on.

If it becomes uncivilised or way off track I will ask the mods to delete posts where required or even lock it down and give up on the idea of sharing and move on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: David_Baker

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Alright, so I took a look at the instructions, and it looks super easy. If this works (and we seem to have some evidence that it does) this would be a very budget-friendly option to get a KL lifted.

At the risk of showing my inexperience, I'd want to find out more about how the front adjustments are done/work. Is it really as simple as taking apart, enlarging one hole and putting back together?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Now that's what I call contribution to the community!!!! Thanks a bunch David, can't wait to read more about your experience after you get your Th lifted.

David

Reactions: pete7713

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Alright, so I took a look at the instructions, and it looks super easy. If this works (and we seem to have some evidence that it does) this would be a very budget-friendly option to get a KL lifted.

At the risk of showing my inexperience, I'd want to find out more about how the front adjustments are done/work. Is it really as simple as taking apart, enlarging one hole and putting back together?
Yep :) If you look really close in the pics of the front end after dropping the knuckle down on the strut you can see through the hole the pinch bolt sits in and notice you can see the hole in the strut locator looks to be about 10 to 11 mm (just smaller than the 12mm original hole). So simply enlarge this hole carefully and replace the bolt being sure to torque the pinch bolt back to 100 foot pound.

Now that's what I call contribution to the community!!!! Thanks a bunch David, can't wait to read more about your experience after you get your Th lifted.

David
No probs at all - like i said though, this is not my work, just the messenger on behalf of Valpacer who put in the efforts of trial and error. I met him recently when he and his 'best jeep girl' picked up one of the spare TH rims I had to use as a 5th spare. All I can say is he is a really great guy, knows his stuff, has been jeepin for more years than most and has a long history in modifying Jeeps for both on and off road (his wife runs a comp TJ she tows to events with HER Trailhawk).

Would love to see pics in here ongoing of anyone else trying this - and dont forget to get a proper front and rear wheel alignment done after the event just to be sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SWEET! Judging by the part number for the spacer its an Old Man Emu. Easy to get state side. Big thanks to Aussie engineering!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Keep it on topic of THIS lift please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for posting! A question about the rear top spacers. Do you remove the cone center off of the spacer for the top of the springs to? In the picture of the rear coils, it looks like there are 2 stacked on top of the coil. The black painted OME and a BASF dark orange one. Is this correct or am I seeing it the wrong way? Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Thanks for posting! A question about the rear top spacers. Do you remove the cone center off of the spacer for the top of the springs to? In the picture of the rear coils, it looks like there are 2 stacked on top of the coil. The black painted OME and a BASF dark orange one. Is this correct or am I seeing it the wrong way? Thanks
Yes. The OME spacers have a cone shaped lip for the TJ they were intended for and this is removed from all 4. The original factory coil insulators are retained top and bottom and remain attached to the coil (that BASF one is the factory original) . Both top and bottom new spacers sit between the original spacer and the vehicle. The bottom one just needs a small hole drilled to fit the locating lug of the original insulator.

I have not tested yet but since I will be doing mine on my own I may remove the rear sway bar link to make lowering the arm to get the coil back in easier (since it will be 20mm longer than when it was pulled out!)

Reactions: davidevo50

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hi everyone, one thing I did forget to add. The only modification to the vehicle that is not reversable is the enlargement of a normally hidden and normally unused 10mm hole to 12mm on the front strut locating tab.

This means returning to stock is simply a matter of removing the front strut pinch bolt and pushing the knuckle back up the strut then replacing the bolt. On the rear simply remove the two spacers each side. Done.

What I am getting at between the lines here is this could be also seen as a temporary lift until a 'better' or different version arrived if you were not keen on it being a permanent solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. The OME spacers have a cone shaped lip for the TJ they were intended for and this is removed from all 4. The original factory coil insulators are retained top and bottom and remain attached to the coil (that BASF one is the factory original) . Both top and bottom new spacers sit between the original spacer and the vehicle. The bottom one just needs a small hole drilled to fit the locating lug of the original insulator.

I have not tested yet but since I will be doing mine on my own I may remove the rear sway bar link to make lowering the arm to get the coil back in easier (since it will be 20mm longer than when it was pulled out!)

Thanks for clarifying. Looking forward to your results.

41 - 60 of 1059 Posts