2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1059 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At an Admins request, I came back to have a look.

The misinformation in this thread by people with underhand motivations is amazing. I dont give a flying rats arse if you dont like it, my online time if is for fun and jeeping, if it aint that im moving on!

Our front lift uses no spacers of ANY kind. Let me repeat, NO SPACERS of ANY kind. Get that mfc? If you can see any of those abominations you posted in my pics you are smoking something I don't want to know about.

The rear uses modified off the shelf spacers - in fact modified TJ coil spacers.

We are lifting 2 more this weekend, we wheeled ours last weekend, and towed the trailer with the Teej on it for about 600km on corrugated roads with no issues. Its now been in for 3000km.

Lift heights at the front flare (with 245/70 tyres and lift) are in the pics. last pic is a stock TH versus our 2' total lifted TH

I have been contacted on FB and have informed a couple of US folk how to do it the way we have. Feel free to contact me there for any more information.

Apologies to Admins.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thank you for coming back Valpacer, your contribution to this forum is much apreciated.

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why not posting a pictures of all the parts involved?

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
@Valpacer Welcome back. All ideas are important. Thanks for sharing yours.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome back. I'm also interested more in the mechanics of your lift -- it is possible there is more than one solution that will work long term and not over stress parts, so can't wait to hear from any with on the road parts/lifts.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Arguers gonna argue... is there an impact to handling or MPG - yes. Is it significant or dangerous - no. Is it the drivers choice - yes. Now back to the discussion of the now 2 lift options on the table. Separate thread for MFC details, still looking for more detail from OP. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
While I can appreciate the hard work & dedication that has gone into making these DIY lift kits...I worry about the safety and possible warranty issues. Major companies have R&D and safety testing budgets, along with lawyers and insurance. If Jeep makes a lift then doesn't release it because it's not really feasible without changing major components of the suspension...I can't really see how anyone else, especially someone who isn't an engineer of some sort, who has worked on this vehicle, is gonna make something they haven't thought of. Plus $600 is a hard sell for 4 spacers that only net you an inch and a half...I'd rather wait for a reputable company to put out a product that's tried, tested and offers more value for the money. Just my opinion, but common sense things people need to think about.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Weight of the bigger tires makes a difference, but people often lift vehicles so they can put on bigger tires. The increase in drag at highway speeds is undeniable.

And there is a subtle effect from larger tires: the gearing is partly chosen with the size of tires in mind. This shouldn't be so bad for a car with 9 gears, but still exists.

·
Super Moderator
4,190 Posts
I think we need to reel this thread in. A lot.

Currently, there are two different garage designed lifts. If you want to discuss the merits of lifts in general, or @myfirstcherokee's lift specifically, we should continue that conversation in other threads.

I think it's safe to say the resulting conversations in this thread are exactly why @Valpacer left in the first place.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Competition is always good in working to build a better mouse trap. I thanks all of you entrepreneurs for devoting time and money to our KL's to make them better. TY all...

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mopar development executives posted a video of their Trailcarver design, promoting the installation of a larger tire over stock. A larger tire approved from jeep? You don't say.
They have 245/70R17s in the video I saw; I also have 245/70R17s.That's not a big change, and gives at most 0.5" of lift. I was willing to accept small performance issues to gain tougher sidewalls.

I'm glad to see the video, as it might help if Jeep tries to make the larger-than-stock tires an issue if there are problems with the suspension. The larger tires have already been mentioned as a cause of the bushing noise in cold weather (which is also happening in vehicles with stock tires).

I haven't heard much about the trail carver lately. It wasn't a consumer vehicle, so we won't have any record of its issues. Concept cars probably have special programming. But judging by the rather dramatic changes FCA made cavalierly in the transmission programming, any change for tire size is probably a wash.

I am sorry to correct you also. I am an engineer, just not a full time job paid one. I design, read up on limitations and attributes of the design, correct master and finish the results and then develop product. I have been engineering since I was 13 years old. I have 20 years in.
I don't mind at all, because I didn't really see any "correction."

I've always admired and (at the same time) felt sorry for engineers, because they are left with the ball if something goes wrong. Concepts are nice, but it takes a lot of real world testing to uncover gotchas. I'm sure the engineers at FCA are very bright; but they did screw up some, or this forum would not have so many followers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
In regards to warranty.... What would be so different about their aftermarket product from mine that would keep a factory warranty valid? Nothing. Aftermarket viewed by dealerships is viewable as a warranty Voiding possibility regardless of name brand or brand x.

In regards to safety...what would be so different from a safety stand point of my coil spacers and name brand coil spacers? Coil spacers have been used for years. Longer than both you and I have been around. Pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed to be used if there was a safety concern.
I just called my dealer and he said there shouldn't be a warranty issue with your type of solution!

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Strangely enough I was going to post a screen shot of my message to Valpacer to give closure to the community that it wasn't from me. However, it seems he may have deleted his response. It was something to the effect that he is removing the posting. But here's my conversation with him for any of those who may have thought it was me trying to censor his idea to self promote mine.
All of this message deleting worries me when issues like this surface. It kinda throws a huge cloud over everything, you know ?

Now I'm going to say something that isn't directed at you (@myfirstcherokee), but rather a general observation based on my many years on different forums in many differnt capacities, including root admin with the kind of access to a database that can settle situations like this... but anyway. Here it is : generally speaking, a forum *member*, in my eyes, is not a person, it's an account. Let me clarify : I'm well aware that 99+% of members of any given forum are registered with one account and when they say "I", it's usually true. I've seen the ugly side of forum identities *tweaked*, for different reasons. Let's just say one person may have more than one account, and more than one IP to avoid suspicion.
Again let me be clear I am NOT implying anything like that is happening here, I'm just saying I've learned to view forum *members* differently and always leave the door open for possibilities... Food for thought if you will.

And like you said, the OP is halfway around the world so exporting that solution overseaes may not be possible anyway, considering the extra costs.

There is ample room for two or more lift solutions on our big planet ;)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Spot on with the halfway round the world issue. With Aussie $ and US freight it would be over $1000 for us to get it here.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Holy crap that was painful. I'm not sure if I'm done cleaning up this thread or not. Keep it on topic. I can't believe how far off the rails this thread got.

There's going to be bickering/different trains of thoughts on a forum, and all of the mods know that. But come on, pretty sure we're all adults here. It'd be nice if people could all act like it more often than not.

If this thread gets derailed again, it'll be locked and deleted, and no one will know how this lift was actually achieved. I really can't blame Valpacer for never wanting to come back, this thread was completely a waste for him.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Nice work @ptrudel. Lets see if we can keep it on track for a little while longer!!

Two more have just been completed this weekend. Nice work Valpacer.

Mine goes up next weekend all going well.

Reactions: gravitywell

·
Registered
496 Posts
Nice work @ptrudel. Lets see if we can keep it on track for a little while longer!!

Two more have just been completed this weekend. Nice work Valpacer.

Mine goes up next weekend all going well.

How is the lift accomplished while keeping the alignment in spec? Any pics of how it's installed?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
This thread makes me really excited, and really sad. A 2" lift is exactly what I would want for my TH, and seeing actual picture of the lift, bigger tires, and compared to a stock is marvelous. But then, it fades away with little actual info about it. I would love to know more about this lift, the method, and how to potential make it happen for some of us north americans.

Reactions: thebigler
21 - 40 of 1059 Posts