2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I currently have a 3” lift in the front and a 3.5” in the back of my 2000 xj. I am going to install Bilstein shocks all around and am wondering if I need To extend the bump stops? I don’t run huge tires and my rear leaf springs are super stiff. I’m worried that if I don’t do bump stops, when I hit a rock or a pit on the trail I will damage the shocks. Any help is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Jeep KLs don’t have leaf springs. This forum is for 2014+ Jeep Cherokees, you have a different vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
I currently have a 3” lift in the front and a 3.5” in the back of my 2000 xj. I am going to install Bilstein shocks all around and am wondering if I need To extend the bump stops? I don’t run huge tires and my rear leaf springs are super stiff. I’m worried that if I don’t do bump stops, when I hit a rock or a pit on the trail I will damage the shocks. Any help is appreciated, thanks
You have to get that thing on a jack and compress / flex your suspension to see what you need. There's no universal answer.

Watch your shocks for over extending or bottoming out.

Watch your tires for getting into your fenders.

Do all four corners, and see how much (if any) extra bump stop you need.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only thing I occasionally feel is a deep bong or 'gong' sound from the front left. Usually after a decent bump in the road. Sounds like a solid axle or sway bar vibration, if I had to guess.

Other than that I don't hear anything besides a little bit of tire noise and some Iron Maiden ;-) 9apps app

Regards, cartoonhd

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wrong website - this is for the KL Cherokee (2014 - present) and not the XJ Cherokee (until 2001).

I owned an XJ Cherokee purchased new in 2000 and parted with it in '15 for the KL, but I do not know the answer to your question as that is quite a lift there, but try an XJ website and you'll have better luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts