1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Dig those yellow highlights sweet ride

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
Aren't yellow fuel tanks colored that way to indicate they're carrying for diesel?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Reactions: OhareFred

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Aren't yellow fuel tanks colored that way to indicate they're carrying for diesel?

Yes, but I don't think it really matters. Chemically, regular gasoline isn't going to destroy the container or anything. And if it's for his sole use, as long as he knows what it's for and doesn't get things mixed up, then no harm, no foul. Only consideration is the legality of it, which I don't know. But if a person isn't free to use their own container to carry whatever legal substance they want, at no risk to anybody else, then I can no longer believe this is America.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
Yes, but I don't think it really matters. Chemically, regular gasoline isn't going to destroy the container or anything. And if it's for his sole use, as long as he knows what it's for and doesn't get things mixed up, then no harm, no foul. Only consideration is the legality of it, which I don't know. But if a person isn't free to use their own container to carry whatever legal substance they want, at no risk to anybody else, then I can no longer believe this is America.

It would matter for general identification.

Unless of course is some weird diesel Cherokee ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
Identification by whom though?

I guess the word "general" wasn't unspecific enough for you to understand.

Also, Rotopax's own website says they tanks are formulated for their specific contents use. They're not interchangeable.

This is what happens when vanity is used to outweigh utility.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I guess the word "general" wasn't unspecific enough for you to understand.

Also, Rotopax's own website says they tanks are formulated for their specific contents use. They're not interchangeable.

This is what happens when vanity is used to outweigh utility.

I believe they would be the first ever company to use different chemical compounds in their yellow vs. red containers. It almost universally doesn't matter which color container you put fuel in, a fuel container is a fuel container. EDIT: And if it was true, I would seriously lose confidence in Rotopax products that their containers can't stand up to using a different type of fuel. Because any other can can would accept it no problem. What else are they susceptible to?!

And because they're required by law to sell different color containers, doesn't necessarily mean the consumer is required by law to only put in the type of fluid the manufacturer intended.

Sure way to settle it though: OP @RANGER426, let us know if the gasoline begins to eat a hole through your diesel container, or if you get a citation from law enforcement!

·
Registered
502 Posts
OK, I’ll butt in.

The issue becomes important for emergency responders. In the unlikely event of a car fire, as the firefighters approach the car they see the yellow container. They believe that it contains diesel fuel, which is way less volatile than gasoline. Should the container not melt before the pressure in the container builds up, you could have a small explosion, shooting flaming gasoline around. I’ve seen it first hand.

That being said, I always instructed my firefighters to expect every “gas can” to contain gasoline no matter what the color. As was stated, people do what they want.

I also state “smiling,happy, stupid people kept me in a job for over 35 years”.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
OK, I’ll butt in.

The issue becomes important for emergency responders. In the unlikely event of a car fire, as the firefighters approach the car they see the yellow container. They believe that it contains diesel fuel, which is way less volatile than gasoline. Should the container not melt before the pressure in the container builds up, you could have a small explosion, shooting flaming gasoline around. I’ve seen it first hand.

That being said, I always instructed my firefighters to expect every “gas can” to contain gasoline no matter what the color. As was stated, people do what they want.

I also state “smiling,happy, stupid people kept me in a job for over 35 years”.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I was going to say Fred, but it sounds a lot better coming from the guy who's been a firefighter for 35 years. Thanks for your service to your community brother!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
It would matter for general identification.

Unless of course is some weird diesel Cherokee ;)

There are diesel Cherokees available in every market in the world, except the North American market. Wish it was available here, it's actually a great little engine. Way less drama than the current gas engines available here dependability wise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts