2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Maybe I have it right this time. Let's try it again...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running 265 65r17 Falken Wild Peaks with no lift. There is no rub at all and they look fantastic. MFC kit is in the mail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I completely agree with this post. That’s the biggest reason why chose HazardSky over MFC or Dobs last week when I ordered mine. I just couldn’t justify all that extra money for not much more of a lift. Plus it left me some in the wallet for the RRO sliders I’ve been eyeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey guys, I was told recently by a respected off road installer that he won’t lift a Cherokee because you can’t properly align it after lifting. Any experience with alignment issues after lifting? I have a 2015 Trailhawk.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hey guys, I was told recently by a respected off road installer that he won’t lift a Cherokee because you can’t properly align it after lifting. Any experience with alignment issues after lifting? I have a 2015 Trailhawk.
He may be respected, but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's not 100% sure that you will have every measurement perfectly within spec, but the majority of the time, it will align without any issue. The remaining times, most people will only have 1 or 2 measurements barely out of spec.It is exceedingly rare for anybody to have any significant alignment issue. And even then, it's usually when people are lifting it really high (relative to other KLs), combining Dobinsons suspension lift with a body lift.

Personally I am combining lifts. I have 2 things out of spec. One is only 0.1° out, very minor. The other measurement is worse but only because I have a bent sub-frame from taking trail damage.

So this guy either doesn't have a clue, or he's just being spiteful and hating on the KL platform, which happens.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Sounds like he's full of ****, those were the kind of statements made 6 years ago when the platform was new. Not even close to the case now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like he's full of ****, those were the kind of statements made 6 years ago when the platform was new. Not even close to the case now.
Thank you Tyler. That was the first I’d heard that. He did indicated that he lifted a Cherokee some time ago and never got the alignment close. I’ll move on to the next installer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He may be respected, but he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's not 100% sure that you will have every measurement perfectly within spec, but the majority of the time, it will align without any issue. The remaining times, most people will only have 1 or 2 measurements barely out of spec.It is exceedingly rare for anybody to have any significant alignment issue. And even then, it's usually when people are lifting it really high (relative to other KLs), combining Dobinsons suspension lift with a body lift.

Personally I am combining lifts. I have 2 things out of spec. One is only 0.1° out, very minor. The other measurement is worse but only because I have a bent sub-frame from taking trail damage.

So this guy either doesn't have a clue, or he's just being spiteful and hating on the KL platform, which happens.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk
Thank you Rhino, this helps me in making a lift decision. I’m moving on to the next installer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just finished having the HS 1 1/2" lift and the shop noticed nothing unusual with the alignment. This is a place that specializes with extreme lifts on Jeeps and trucks, so they have a lot of experience even though the Jeeps are typically Wranglers. It likely has a lot to do with how much experience the shop actually has, like the other more experienced folks here have mentioned. You need the right people.

·
Registered
120 Posts
...Non TH: 245/65r17-no lift needed
Non TH Lift: 245/70r17-in the back you will want to tie up the liner better, rubs a bit on the side, cut it...

So, if I want to fit 245/70r17, I'll need the 1.5 lift, not just the level kit?
Would the 2" kit be better?
Guess I'll need the centering kit, too.
Any pics of yours?

EDIT: found this on the site...
"For all models of KL Cherokee 2014-2019+, this kit provides 1.5" of lift. The lift is achieved by adjusting the strut and mount in the front of the vehicle, and adding spacers to the rear spring. This allows for a 1.5" lift, and allows for larger tires. most 30.5" tires will fit with no other modifications...

For FWD or Active Drive I vehicles, the Rear Wheel Centering kit may be needed if tires larger than 30" are used."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe I missed it... is the dealer the only place to adjust speedo after putting larger tires??

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very good information in this thread, however I haven't seen anyone talk about bigger tires and lift while towing. I assume the extra weight might cause rubbing, no? I was looking into 275/55/19 tires (30.9" diameter) in combination with the Aussie/hazard sky lift but I think I might have problems if I was towing something.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I seen somewhere that someone was running 255/70r17 KO2

Did anyone ever find out if there were issues fitting that into the spare tire compartment?

Someone also said that they were running. 265/65r17 KO2 and were able to fit it in there too.

I thought 245/70 was the max size?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
245/70 fit, 265/65 are same diameter but wider and hold the floor cover up about 15mm.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
After about a month of intense research I have decided on getting Goodyear Duratracs in 265/65/17, and one 245/70/17 for the spare. I am hoping they will fit without rubbing. I won't know for sure without putting them on since all the anecdotal evidence on this forum says it is a grey area. Some people have said it is fine, others say it was rubbing. That might be because some got the LT tires and some did not. The LT tires have an extra 2/32" of tread (not sure if that matters) but I am getting the P (normal load) tires. I planned on having them installed prior to lifting with the hazard sky 2" lift kit, since my research tells me that the lift kit makes no difference in terms of whether or not the tires will fit (at least when comparing between 245/70/17 and 265/65/17).

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did some tests with my new 265/65/17 nitto ridge grappler tires without any wheels on (I have been waiting 6 weeks so far for my wheels to be shipped from Canada) so I assume that this will only be worse with wheels, but here is a before/after of the rear deck lid. As you can see the lid with the 265 the deck lid does stick up at least 0.5 inch. I'm not so sure I would care about this 0.5 inch as long as I can still get the tire out, and the deck doesn't rattle around or anything. It wasn't too bad to get it unwedged, but I assume it would be harder with another 30+lbs added for the wheel. The smaller strip of the deck lid does sit flush for some reason. I could probably get a fraction more space if I cut out the carpet lining.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did some tests with my new 265/65/17 nitto ridge grappler tires without any wheels on (I have been waiting 6 weeks so far for my wheels to be shipped from Canada) so I assume that this will only be worse with wheels, but here is a before/after of the rear deck lid. As you can see the lid with the 265 the deck lid does stick up at least 0.5 inch. I'm not so sure I would care about this 0.5 inch as long as I can still get the tire out, and the deck doesn't rattle around or anything. It wasn't too bad to get it unwedged, but I assume it would be harder with another 30+lbs added for the wheel. The smaller strip of the deck lid does sit flush for some reason. I could probably get a fraction more space if I cut out the carpet lining.

View attachment 210826

View attachment 210827
View attachment 210828
View attachment 210829
Pretty sure that's probably going to be a little different when you get it all mounted, and aired up. Those sure are a sweet looking tire though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Pretty sure that's probably going to be a little different when you get it all mounted, and aired up. Those sure are a sweet looking tire though.
I expect it to be different, I just don't know until I get my wheels. The nitto tires have two different sides to them. The side in my picture is the less agressive side. This is the other side:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I expect it to be different, I just don't know until I get my wheels. The nitto tires have two different sides to them. The side in my picture is the less agressive side. This is the other side:

View attachment 210830
Those are badass!!! I think I'm still going with the 245/70/17. That should fit in the hole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can confirm that the 245/70 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's fit just fine in the spare tire well. Like a glove, as they say. Yeah I would imagine you might have to do a little bit of modifications to get the 265/65 to fit since it is a wider tire.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts