2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way to limit how high the lift gate raises? When parked in the garage with the garage door open, the lift gate stops right at the garage door. I would like to stop the lift gate about 2 inches short of the garage door. Not sure if it is possible, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to limit how high the lift gate raises? When parked in the garage with the garage door open, the lift gate stops right at the garage door. I would like to stop the lift gate about 2 inches short of the garage door. Not sure if it is possible, but I thought I would ask.
You can try this approach:
User Manual: Jeep Cherokee Power Lift Gate System
"3. Height Adjustment
CAUTION: If you feel resistance when manually adjusting liftgate, do not push further.
With the liftgate open, manually adjust to the preferred height. Once adjusted, press the INSIDE button for 3 SECONDS, until you hear the system beep TWICE and then release the button. Cycle the Power Liftgate System to verify height adjustment."

Also, my previous vehicle (a Ford) allowed adjustment of the power liftgate height by manually stopping the liftgate at the desired height as it was opening. It would then "remember" that height on future openings.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The dealer forgot to put the manual in the vehicle, and it is in transit now. This will be tonight's project along with a couple adult beverages.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks. The dealer forgot to put the manual in the vehicle, and it is in transit now. This will be tonight's project along with a couple adult beverages.
Well, the material I quoted is not the standard Cherokee owner's manual, but rather a separate document. I'm not sure if it covers factory liftgates or aftermarket power units, but again, it's worth trying. The Jeep owner's manual doesn't say anything about liftgate opening height.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Get an account on jeep.com. Then you can download the latest Owner's Manual as a PDF.
I prefer it to paper, easier to read and to do searches.
2019 is up to: 2019-Cherokee-OM-4th.pdf that I am aware of.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
909 Posts
FYI, the max height adjust isn't in the OM. My last vehicle had it, so I did look it up. Would be interesting if @3Rivers suggestion works, let us know!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
2019 is up to: 2019-Cherokee-OM-4th.pdf that I am aware of.
Actually, 4th Edition Version 1. There was a 4th Edition but it was superseded rather quickly.

The earlier editions (1st Edition, 2nd Edition Revision 1, 3rd Edition Revision 2, and all the gaps in between) were full of errors. Rest assured the 4th Edition Version 1 is error-free!

Well, mostly.

If it makes you feel any better, 2020 is up to 4th Edition, Version 2 and 2021 is up to 5th Edition. I have a 2020 4th Edition (no version) so I'm assuming they start from 1st Edition? That's a LOT of revisions to a "stable" vehicle!!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I learned quickly to not open the lift gate in my car port.
Just go to the rear, push the long button and then before it hits the car port just push the long button again, then manually push it up as far as it would go.
Haven't needed a power lift gate for 50 years, so why do I need one now.
Still don't have a "smart" anything or an "I" anything and am doing just fine.
Jeep life is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts