2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went on trip across northern Manitoba to northern Saskatchewan that I normally take in my truck. The roads are broke up in places with some of the stretch threw logging roads. Had freezing rain and snow/ice covered areas but as getting closer to the city the salt was horrible. The red Jeep turned white and dust tan colours. Also had a chance to go off-roading in gravel pits. 9 hr drive there and back but well worth it, had a lot of fun.
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

This is the first time I've had the Jeep to myself and have to say she handled the drive very well. Came back a bit loaded and didn't notice the load at all, but I think that is due to the new suspension we installed. The 2.4 impressed me after all the dissing I did to it, but still not fan of that 9 speed. Averaged 11 Liters per 100 Kms round trip. I'm not a fan of the so called 4X4 system that is an AWD if asked otherwise but it is well suited for driving cross country. Sure is easier drive the KL in the city as compared to my truck but was limited to shopping list items. The fuel tank is such a horrible design, I highly recommend not letting it go below 3 bars and when going cross country make sure you have a jerry can and survival gear. ( first aid kit, fire ext, shovel, tow strap, candles, winter gear, sat link, some tools ). All in, I give the JL 3.5 stars out of 5.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
554 Posts
I think you mean KL (JL is the newest wrangler). It looks like you have the ADI 4x4 system. You are correct, it is an awd system. The AD2 is a 4x4 system when put in 4 low, and truly adds to the capability. That being said though, even then ad1 is plenty capable. I'm also not a fan of the 9 speed, but it does ok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you mean KL (JL is the newest wrangler). It looks like you have the ADI 4x4 system. You are correct, it is an awd system. The AD2 is a 4x4 system when put in 4 low, and truly adds to the capability. That being said though, even then ad1 is plenty capable. I'm also not a fan of the 9 speed, but it does ok.
Yes .. KL maybe I wish I had a JL... lol
Once during the trip going down hill the 9 speed went into 8 th gear otherwise 7th is were it stayed, could not get the RPM's to drop below 2 grad at Highway speeds and conditions. As the roads got worse the gears kept dropping, one section I was in 5th so would have to say it knows what it needs to survive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you had ADII or a trailhawk your experience would be much different. You basically drove a base model with the least powerful engine and least sophisticated awd system.
That makes sense... I know that I can't compare this to my truck but I took it in areas where most would not so I'm happy with how well it did.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
That's what sold me on the 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk...I flew into Edmonton on a sunny day, next morning it was -6C and snowing...I had to drive some 4 hours North up to Wabasca...There I had to call ahead to the compression station (Isolated and no Cell Service) that I was now on the gravel road running through a Pine Forest/Logging Road...The Trailhawk on both slippery snowy roads and a pot hole ridden gravel road did exceedingly well..so much so, that one month later i bought the Elite Version

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Yes .. KL maybe I wish I had a JL... lol
Once during the trip going down hill the 9 speed went into 8 th gear otherwise 7th is were it stayed, could not get the RPM's to drop below 2 grad at Highway speeds and conditions. As the roads got worse the gears kept dropping, one section I was in 5th so would have to say it knows what it needs to survive.
yeah my 4 banger will go down to 5th on the highway, sometimes, if I'm loaded up w/ ppl & gear, on steep highway hills, like route 84 in CT

·
Registered
489 Posts
yeah my 4 banger will go down to 5th on the highway, sometimes, if I'm loaded up w/ ppl & gear, on steep highway hills, like route 84 in CT
I hate 84, I'm in Connecticut 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what sold me on the 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk...I flew into Edmonton on a sunny day, next morning it was -6C and snowing...I had to drive some 4 hours North up to Wabasca...There I had to call ahead to the compression station (Isolated and no Cell Service) that I was now on the gravel road running through a Pine Forest/Logging Road...The Trailhawk on both slippery snowy roads and a pot hole ridden gravel road did exceedingly well..so much so, that one month later i bought the Elite Version
I have a cell link to my phone .. live without service a lot. But speaking of rough potted roads, that was very impressive how well the Jeep smoothed the road out. Thompson to Saskatoon and back is a tough drive in these conditions.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I hate 84, I'm in Connecticut 🤦‍♂️
lol for more reasons that the hills, I'm sure. like the all the lanes changes, the speed changes & the traffic! ugh. the antithesis of that road, is route 89 in Vermont. just set the cruise to 70mph & sit back & enjoy

·
Registered
869 Posts
I went on trip across northern Manitoba to northern Saskatchewan that I normally take in my truck. The roads are broke up in places with some of the stretch threw logging roads. Had freezing rain and snow/ice covered areas but as getting closer to the city the salt was horrible. The red Jeep turned white and dust tan colours. Also had a chance to go off-roading in gravel pits. 9 hr drive there and back but well worth it, had a lot of fun. View attachment 217221

This is the first time I've had the Jeep to myself and have to say she handled the drive very well. Came back a bit loaded and didn't notice the load at all, but I think that is due to the new suspension we installed. The 2.4 impressed me after all the dissing I did to it, but still not fan of that 9 speed. Averaged 11 Liters per 100 Kms round trip. I'm not a fan of the so called 4X4 system that is an AWD if asked otherwise but it is well suited for driving cross country. Sure is easier drive the KL in the city as compared to my truck but was limited to shopping list items. The fuel tank is such a horrible design, I highly recommend not letting it go below 3 bars and when going cross country make sure you have a jerry can and survival gear. ( first aid kit, fire ext, shovel, tow strap, candles, winter gear, sat link, some tools ). All in, I give the JL 3.5 stars out of 5.
With the V6 in my 2019 Trailhawk, even when loaded down its happy to cruse on the highway below 2k RPM. It did that loaded to the gills helping a friend move. And loaded with campaign gear too. In 2019 the v6 was standard on TH but it would be my only choice, as I had a 2.4 in my old 06 AWD caliber (largest engine in that) and it was decent in it but there where times it felt under powered. And the cherokee was over 1,500lbs heavier

Reactions: N55RedJeep

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the V6 in my 2019 Trailhawk, even when loaded down its happy to cruse on the highway below 2k RPM. It did that loaded to the gills helping a friend move. And loaded with campaign gear too. In 2019 the v6 was standard on TH but it would be my only choice, as I had a 2.4 in my old 06 AWD caliber (largest engine in that) and it was decent in it but there where times it felt under powered. And the cherokee was over 1,500lbs heavier
Ya I wish we had the V6, mostly because from what I'm hearing is that it does the same or better in fuel mileage plus for me the passing power that the 2.4 doesn't quite have. I find myself lurking behind slow traffic waiting for the right amount of passing lane more then my truck and my truck is 7000lbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took a road trip in my new-to-me (at the time) 2016 Trailhawk. I hadn't done the lift or had the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in 245/75/17 on yet but I had a basket and added a front bar light and took off on a 3 day one way adventure to Radisson, Quebec (from central Ohio). For some strange reason I got the best gas mileage the vehicle has ever seen, 26 mpg. I have the so called under powered 2.4L. She drove great all the way and I too got a little side tracked on some logging and hydro dam roads while up there scouting for bear and moose, etc. Amazing trip. I took a decent sized tent but the weather was so bad the last 2 nights I slept in the car. Love those fold down seats. First night Bracebridge. Second in Matagami. several days at the campground in Radisson.

This weekend we are hitting the trails for the first time since I have had this vehicle. I previously had a JK 4-door, for 11 years. Lift, wench, all that. I love my KL TH. The ride is that of a car but it scampers like a Billy goat. Check out the various Trailhawk and other KL videos on Youtube. I'm glad you had a positive experience. If we all went by the posts on these forums I doubt anyone would ever buy one of these with all the horror stories about transmissions and PTUs dying etc. Mine has been great so far.

Enjoy your KL,
Sean
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I took a road trip in my new-to-me (at the time) 2016 Trailhawk. I hadn't done the lift or had the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in 245/75/17 on yet but I had a basket and added a front bar light and took off on a 3 day one way adventure to Radisson, Quebec (from central Ohio). For some strange reason I got the best gas mileage the vehicle has ever seen, 26 mpg. I have the so called under powered 2.4L. She drove great all the way and I too got a little side tracked on some logging and hydro dam roads while up there scouting for bear and moose, etc. Amazing trip. I took a decent sized tent but the weather was so bad the last 2 nights I slept in the car. Love those fold down seats. First night Bracebridge. Second in Matagami. several days at the campground in Radisson.

This weekend we are hitting the trails for the first time since I have had this vehicle. I previously had a JK 4-door, for 11 years. Lift, wench, all that. I love my KL TH. The ride is that of a car but it scampers like a Billy goat. Check out the various Trailhawk and other KL videos on Youtube. I'm glad you had a positive experience. If we all went by the posts on these forums I doubt anyone would ever buy one of these with all the horror stories about transmissions and PTUs dying etc. Mine has been great so far.

Enjoy your KL,
Sean
very cool! I'd consider a 4cyl TrailHawk! personally I'd stick w/ highway tires for my lifestyle, as are on my Limited. when I visit parents, a 400 mile round tripper, I avrg 29mpg for the day

1 - 17 of 17 Posts