2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited 3.2 with a Bunch of Options
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that dont know, I bought my buddies 2015 Limited 3.2 just last August. He was the second owner and told me he only took it to Jeep Dealership for any service always having the oil change done at 3000 miles. He did try to replace a HID himself ( and screwed it up) story here somewhere. With the help of some of the People here I was able to figure it out.
On to the battery…. My friend said the battery was replaced sometime when he still owned it But could not remember when.
about 2 weeks ago I got my First start stop not available battery charging message, the engine did start but I could tell the starter wasn’t turning fast.

my Jeep is a “ sitter “ only put 4 K on it last year.

I went on a 400 mile trip just after that( brave or stupid) didn’t have any issues. Came back last Sunday, car sat…all week. Just tried to start it. Battery Dead. Picked up an AGM Duralast Platnuim from AutoZone. Changed out the battery all good. It started right up. Didn’t loose any settings except for HVAC resetting back to Defrost. See pictures…( I need to find out WHO switched out that 2nd battery).

Attachments

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
For those of you that dont know, I bought my buddies 2015 Limited 3.2 just last August. He was the second owner and told me he only took it to Jeep Dealership for any service always having the oil change done at 3000 miles. He did try to replace a HID himself ( and screwed it up) story here somewhere. With the help of some of the People here I was able to figure it out.
On to the battery…. My friend said the battery was replaced sometime when he still owned it But could not remember when.
about 2 weeks ago I got my First start stop not available battery charging message, the engine did start but I could tell the starter wasn’t turning fast.

I went on a 400 mile trip just after that( brave or stupid) didn’t have any issues. Came back last Sunday, car sat…all week. Just tried to start it. Battery Dead. Picked up an AGM Duralast Platnuim from AutoZone. Changed out the battery all good. It started right up. Didn’t loose any settings except for HVAC resetting back to Defrost. See pictures…( I need to find out WHO switched out that 2nd battery).
Is that an AC Delco ? Not that it matters, I'm just curious :

Anyway, you are right, they screwed it up. Unfortunately, this happens quite a bit because some battery guides have it wrong, for Cherokees, even some large auto parts chains have it wrong. Just checked the O'Reilly guide and it does show it doesn't fit a 2015 V6, so they have it right, but... they may have fixed it since your battery was replaced, or it was purchased somewhere else (not at O'Reillys).

At least now you have a proper battery...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that an AC Delco ? Not that it matters, I'm just curious :

Anyway, you are right, they screwed it up. Unfortunately, this happens quite a bit because some battery guides have it wrong, for Cherokees, even some large auto parts chains have it wrong. Just checked the O'Reilly guide and it does show it doesn't fit a 2015 V6, so they have it right, but... they may have fixed it since your battery was replaced, or it was purchased somewhere else (not at O'Reillys).

At least now you have a proper battery...
AC Delco it said on the side, I couldn’t find Any stickers telling me the age, I even asked the AutoZone people to have a look….

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
AC Delco it said on the side, I couldn’t find Any stickers telling me the age, I even asked the AutoZone people to have a look….
It doesn't really matter in this case because you don't have a proof or purchase, and... guessing you left it with Autozone for the core charge refund ?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Glad you were able to make it through the trip without any issue and are back up and running!

My battery died on me yesterday (2019TH, 3.2) and I ended up picking up the same battery from AutoZone. I called them on the way to make sure they had something in stock and they didn’t even recommend the AGM. They had two others they quoted me. When I asked about the AGM they said “you don’t need that for your vehicle” - wild! Seems a lot of these places need to update their systems.

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Glad you were able to make it through the trip without any issue and are back up and running!

My battery died on me yesterday (2019TH, 3.2) and I ended up picking up the same battery from AutoZone. I called them on the way to make sure they had something in stock and they didn’t even recommend the AGM. They had two others they quoted me. When I asked about the AGM they said “you don’t need that for your vehicle” - wild! Seems a lot of these places need to update their systems.
8 years into the KL model, 7 years with the AGMs, and an outfit like Autozone still hasn't updated their fitment guide... and I assure you many customers have returned batteries for this very reason, so no excuses on their part.

Autozone now sells a premium 94R AGM as well (for 2 years now). It's the Odyssey 94R-850 (name has been updated to ODP-AGM94R but Autozone hasn't caught up tp that yet) :

Now... it's a 94R, a perfect fit for Cherokees, yet their fitment guide says no match for V6 KLs ! :mad:
I wrote Odyssey and Autozone about this a couple years ago, and they never replied.
They now also sell an Optima Yellow Top H7 AGM, which they list as a match for the Cherokee (it is a match of course), but it's overpriced and underwhelming when compared to Northstar or Odyssey batteries.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
349 Posts
8 years into the KL model, 7 years with the AGMs, and an outfit like Autozone still hasn't updated their fitment guide... and I assure you many customers have returned batteries for this very reason, so no excuses on their part.

Autozone now sells a premium 94R AGM as well (for 2 years now). It's the Odyssey 94R-850 (name has been updated to ODP-AGM94R but Autozone hasn't caught up tp that yet) :

Now... it's a 94R, a perfect fit for Cherokees, yet their fitment guide says no match for V6 KLs ! :mad:
I wrote Odyssey and Autozone about this a couple years ago, and they never replied.
They now also sell an Optima Yellow Top H7 AGM, which they list as a match for the Cherokee (it is a match of course), but it's overpriced and underwhelming when compared to Northstar or Odyssey batteries.

It's nice that their website still says that this battery isn't compatible with my TH.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m still thinking about changing the clamps on both terminals, those stock clamps really suck. I had to “ mckiver “ the negative side….I pounded flat a galvanized roofing nail opened up the clamp with a screwdriver, placed the clamp back over the terminal and lightly tapped in the nail, then tightened it. Without the nail it would not tighten enough without coming off. The positive side is a different type of clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
I’m still thinking about changing the clamps on both terminals, those stock clamps really suck. I had to “ mckiver “ the negative side….I pounded flat a galvanized roofing nail opened up the clamp with a screwdriver, placed the clamp back over the terminal and lightly tapped in the nail, then tightened it. Without the nail it would not tighten enough without coming off. The positive side is a different type of clamp.
Yikes. And yes, the connectors are flimsy. First time I see such a 'fix' though. Just to be safe, you should snip that nail so it's flush with the connector. Not critical as it would be on the + side (high risk of short circuit), but to be safe. If you don't have snips for that, maybe grab some electrical tape and cover it up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yikes. And yes, the connectors are flimsy. First time I see such a 'fix' though. Just to be safe, you should snip that nail so it's flush with the connector. Not critical as it would be on the + side (high risk of short circuit), but to be safe. If you don't have snips for that, maybe grab some electrical tape and cover it up.
I’m thinking about replacing both clamps, I saw some on autozones website a little overkill ( gold plated?)… 15 bucks each. There has to be a better way

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
I’m thinking about replacing both clamps, I saw some on autozones website a little overkill ( gold plated?)… 15 bucks each. There has to be a better way
Somebody in here had both replaced some years ago, I forget the specifics other than they had it done my a mechanic.
Negative side in more complex because of the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) right there.

How about some post shims ? (disclaimer : I have no experience with these) :

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Somebody in here had both replaced some years ago, I forget the specifics other than they had it done my a mechanic.
Negative side in more complex because of the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) right there.

How about some post shims ? (disclaimer : I have no experience with these) :
$6.99 for the pair at autozone. I was thinking of something like that yesterday…

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
$6.99 for the pair at autozone. I was thinking of something like that yesterday…
And just FYI : I don't know if you use them or not, but felt washers are to be avoided with these connectors ; reason is the posts are conical and you need to lower the terminals as far as they'll go, to allow maximum tightening. Felt washers prevent you from pushing/twisting the terminals all the way down on the posts...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
LOL. I laugh because I did the same exact 'fix' with an old winter beater I once owned. Worked like a charm!

But yes, if you google 'battery shims' you'll find them available not only on Amazon, but also NAPA, Autozone, etc.

Reactions: Oldguyhavingfun

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can in many cases with loose battery clamps use large slip joint pliers and when the clamp is off the battery use your pliers to squeeze around the round part of the clamp. That way when you reinstall on the battery post the metal makes a nice tight friction fit. Cover the clamp with a rag if worried about marking it up with the pliers. Works like a charm on my 2014 over the years.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,467 Posts
Another hint to remember is to never twist on the clamps, push them on, and then tap staight down if necessary before tightening the bolt.

Posts and termanals are mostly lead/lead alloys, so they are very soft.

Learned that (too) many years ago, and it has never failed me... :cool:

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,467 Posts
More like they need to update the brains of the morons behind the counter with proper training...LOL!!!😬😎
Maybe they transferred from/to Microsoft! :ROFLMAO:
Font Gas Asphalt Automotive exhaust Nickel

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Another hint to remember is to never twist on the clamps, push them on, and then tap staight down if necessary before tightening the bolt.

Posts and termanals are mostly lead/lead alloys, so they are very soft.

Learned that (too) many years ago, and it has never failed me... :cool:
Noted. I mention twisting somewhat often, but not everyone 'twists' with the same torque...

I'm also really uncomfortable telling people over a forum to tap down on a battery connector ; this can go wrong in different ways too.
Post shims just might be a valuable and safe addition to help solve this flimsy connector nightmare.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts