2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
When the time comes I'm going to install the northstar 27F 94Amp Hour battery.
92Ah, but I'm nit picking :p

Whopping 930CCA and 195 minute RC. Kick butt battery ;)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
2018 2.4 KL battery died after 2 years with in warranty. We had the dealer
replace it for free. My 2019 gets a SS not ready all the time, until I stretch
it's legs on a road trip. Then poof it works then I have to push the button.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
I actually just found a place local to me selling these for 277$ or $297 CDN without returning an old battery, probably going to pick a few up for a solar project i'm working on.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
I actually just found a place local to me selling these for 277$ or $297 CDN without returning an old battery, probably going to pick a few up for a solar project i'm working on.
Which model ? I bought mine from Saskbattery (near you).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Mark, I haven't had a need yet to think about a new battery for my 2019, but besides Northstar, does East Penn make any batteries of similar quality? I've had great luck with East Penn batteries, never had one let me down yet. Out of an abundance of caution I replace them every 5 years and then use them a few more years in a lawn tractor or something.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
Sask Battery!

edit actually it's not, my bad, it's Prairie Battery
Yeah, when I phoned them up in January 2019 the 94R Northstar wasn't listed on their site, still isn't today, but the nice girl told me they had them in stock. Problem was... the price : she told me it was something like $369, or $399, I forget... said they had just upped most of the Northstars. I tried to negociate telling her some battery sites in Ontario had them for $329, but she wouldn't budge. That's when I decided to buy the 27F from them, at $399 (CDN). Same price or close to their 94R, free shipping which the Ontario sites did not offer.

If you can get a 94R Northstar for $297 CDN, that's a huge bargain. Just make sure it's the Pro (grey case) and not the Elite. They didn't make a 94R Elite last time I checked, but that was a while ago. Elite is their lower performance line, black case with yellow top.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
Hey Mark, I haven't had a need yet to think about a new battery for my 2019, but besides Northstar, does East Penn make any batteries of similar quality? I've had great luck with East Penn batteries, never had one let me down yet. Out of an abundance of caution I replace them every 5 years and then use them a few more years in a lawn tractor or something.
Hey,

As far as I know, East Penn / Deka's automotive line has been assimilated, like most of the big brands. They formed a consortium (low key) and Johnson Controls has the bigger share in it. If you search for an East Penn 94R AGM, you get the Deka Intimidator : Intimidator 9A94R Group 94R AGM Battery

Look at it : case and specs, same as all the other Johnson Controls 94R clones. It's rated at 800CCA while some other clones show 850CCA, but they have wiggle rooom on that number.

Yeah... battery shopping isn't what it used to be. East Penn probably manufacture some of their own lines still, but not in this automotive AGM segment, that's for sure...

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
That's roughly $215 USD. How can they sell it this low ?? Wow..
Man I remember when I could get a battery $79 with out the core charge!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Man I remember when I could get a battery $79 with out the core charge!
It seems that once you get into the AGM type batteries is when the price goes way up. I'm very familiar with AGM power-sports batteries, but my Jeep is my first car which required an AGM type battery. I was shocked when I first saw the prices for them.

I assume that the robustness of an AGM battery is required for the stop/start system. Since I always disable that I'm curious to see if my stock battery lasts longer than those who leave stop/start enabled. Time will tell!

Reactions: XJ99

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
It seems that once you get into the AGM type batteries is when the price goes way up. I'm very familiar with AGM power-sports batteries, but my Jeep is my first car which required an AGM type battery. I was shocked when I first saw the prices for them.

I assume that the robustness of an AGM battery is required for the stop/start system. Since I always disable that I'm curious to see if my stock battery lasts longer than those who leave stop/start enabled. Time will tell!

Yeah that's a thought! Also this was back in the early-late 2000's when I owned my XJ.
Optima had the same 3 year warranty as a cheap (most likely Johnson Controls) Walmart
battery. EverStart Yellow had the 3 year warranty on them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just checked the resting state of my wife's '16 TH after setting for 24 hours. 12.0 volts. :rolleyes: This is on an Interstate battery that was purchased in November of last year. When I bought it, they told me it was AGM, and at $150, I believed them. It's not. It's going back, and I'll trade up for the actual AGM which is $175. Also on order is an Auto StopStart module.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
I just checked the resting state of my wife's '16 TH after setting for 24 hours. 12.0 volts. :rolleyes: This is on an Interstate battery that was purchased in November of last year. When I bought it, they told me it was AGM, and at $150, I believed them. It's not. It's going back, and I'll trade up for the actual AGM which is $175. Also on order is an Auto StopStart module.
Yikes. They actually said it was AGM ?... So this is the one you're getting, I guess : Interstate Batteries | MTX-94R/H7

Just curious : any other symptoms with that non AGM battery ? ESS not available battery charging ?

With the battery cover we have, it's impossible to read the labels once the battery is in there... so only paperwork can confirm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They did. They charged me for the flooded one, though, so I didn't really get cheated. ESS shows charging more often than not, and I noticed that starts are just a little slower than they should be. Honestly, if not for having been through this before, I probably wouldn't have noticed. The last time, though, the battery was bad enough that it might start the vehicle once or twice in a row, but would fail on the next attempt. Being my wife's DD, I drive it very little.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
They did. They charged me for the flooded one, though, so I didn't really get cheated. ESS shows charging more often than not, and I noticed that starts are just a little slower than they should be. Honestly, if not for having been through this before, I probably wouldn't have noticed. The last time, though, the battery was bad enough that it might start the vehicle once or twice in a row, but would fail on the next attempt. Being my wife's DD, I drive it very little.
Gotcha. Thing is, we've seen some places where the fitment guides actually lists flooded H7/94R batteries for ESS equiped KLs ; Autozone (or Advanced Auto Parts ? I forget..) was one of them for a long time, I think they've corrected it now. So you can imagine many, many... have been sold wet batteries instead of AGMs. What probably confused some vendors are the 2014 V6 KLs : they don't have ESS.... so OEM battery was flooded.

ESS discharges the battery at high currents repeatedly and the charging system conmpensates with high current pushes ; flooded batteries don't do well with high current discharges/charges. Even if you disable ESS, high current charging still occurs so you'd cook a flooded battery sooner than if it was in a 2014..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Replaced my battery with a Bosch Platinum 94R ,AGM. Ordered On-line, they installed it free, very good $ deal from the Pep Boys.
Siggy

Reactions: TrickVert
21 - 40 of 43 Posts