2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 2.0T. The car was purchased used in March 2019 with 21k miles, original in service date was June of 2018, and currently has 70k miles. For the past month or two I have been getting alot of "start-stop unavailable, battery protection mode" messages as well as when ESS does work I would get the occasional ding on restart which if you were not looking at the cluster you would miss a power steering fault that quickly cleared. This past Friday I went to start it and it just clicked once and nothing. Dash lights stayed on and when I tried to start again I was met with the high temp alert. Put it on the charger and got it to fire up with no issues. Tested with a resistive battery tester and dropped to about 10 volts so time for a replacement. Ended up replacing with a DieHard Platinum from Advance Auto. So far all seems good. So for anyone noticing weird issues with ESS I would starting planning for your battery replacement.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I have a 2019 2.0T. The car was purchased used in March 2019 with 21k miles, original in service date was June of 2018, and currently has 70k miles. For the past month or two I have been getting alot of "start-stop unavailable, battery protection mode" messages as well as when ESS does work I would get the occasional ding on restart which if you were not looking at the cluster you would miss a power steering fault that quickly cleared. This past Friday I went to start it and it just clicked once and nothing. Dash lights stayed on and when I tried to start again I was met with the high temp alert. Put it on the charger and got it to fire up with no issues. Tested with a resistive battery tester and dropped to about 10 volts so time for a replacement. Ended up replacing with a DieHard Platinum from Advance Auto. So far all seems good. So for anyone noticing weird issues with ESS I would starting planning for your battery replacement.
Yikes, just over 2 years. Lots of miles though. But still...

Do you live in Nevada or Florida ? Hot climates kill these KL batteries quick. So does driving short distances all the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Similar here, as OP: 2019 Cherokee, 2.0T and battery went wonky at 24 months since purchase (Sept 2018). Dealer replaced under warranty @ no cost to me. Next dealer replacement would be pro-rated @ 36 (?) months. However, at that point, the battery will be replaced with quality aftermarket battery. I have a jump start battery so I don't get stuck somewhere.

Desert Hiker

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Similar here, as OP: 2019 Cherokee, 2.0T and battery went wonky at 24 months since purchase (Sept 2018). Dealer replaced under warranty @ no cost to me. Next dealer replacement would be pro-rated @ 36 (?) months. However, at that point, the battery will be replaced with quality aftermarket battery. I have a jump start battery so I don't get stuck somewhere.

Desert Hiker
I'll just go ahead and assume you live in a... hot zone. Yep next time, find yourself a thin plate pure lead AGM. Underhood heat will still kill it early, but hopefully not as early... and they do come with 4 or 5 year replacement warranties.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Live in New Jersey so not a hot zone. I do probably 90% highway driving (hence the high mileage) so it is not a short trip issue. The Die Hard was the best I could find at 6:30 on a Friday. It does have a 3 year warranty so if it does go quick again I should be good. I wonder if the extra heat from the turbo is cooking them faster. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Live in New Jersey so not a hot zone. I do probably 90% highway driving (hence the high mileage) so it is not a short trip issue. The Die Hard was the best I could find at 6:30 on a Friday. It does have a 3 year warranty so if it does go quick again I should be good. I wonder if the extra heat from the turbo is cooking them faster. Only time will tell.
We've seen faulty batteries in 2019 V6s too ; emphasis on faulty though : bad cells. It is possible that batteries in 2.0Ts experience higher underhood temps and, if so, they will die sooner.

The DieHard Platinum is an exact copy of Autozone's Duralast Platinum and many others including the Bosch, Mopar, Energizer, Duracell AGMs, etc... They are lead-calcium AGMs made by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's funny, just before I clicked on this site I was pricing batteries such as the Northstar AGM from Batteries Plus. I'm around two years and wondering if mine was going to go at the magic three year mark.

I'll probably upgrade sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
It's funny, just before I clicked on this site I was pricing batteries such as the Northstar AGM from Batteries Plus. I'm around two years and wondering if mine was going to go at the magic three year mark.

The X2 Power 94R at Batteries+ (it's a Northstar) is awesome. If you have an Autozone near you, check out the Odyssey 94R-850 ; it's priced a bit lower than Northstars but it is a thin plate pure lead (premium) AGM.

I've just checked pricing : the Odyssey has gone up a bit to $259, I think it was $229 not long ago. The X2 Power is $299 but there is a 10% rebate right now, so $269.

Edit to add : one big difference I've just noticed... The X2 Power has a 5 year replacement warranty while the Odyssey is only 3... I think it was more before, not sure, but for a $10 difference the X2 Power has way more appeal right now...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

Order online and pickup at the store. There should be an online rebate. This should get you the best price.
Note and record the manufacture date, CCA and serial number. (The manufacture date is a bit obscure so have the sales person figure it out.)
The really good battery testers use the manufacture date and CCA to calculate the battery "state of health".
Make sure whoever installs the battery gets the clamps on CORRECTLY.
This is a good opportunity to put on a better insulation wrap.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Mine is a 2019 TH Elite with a V6 and 22K miles, I live in Ohio...Wife makes daily trips to the stores and we go on at least two long excursions to Savannah Ga. twice per year...Battery is original and no signs of becoming defective...I wonder if all stock batteries come from the same supplier, and is the battery for the V6 same as the battery for the 2.0 turbo?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Mine is a 2019 TH Elite with a V6 and 22K miles, I live in Ohio...Wife makes daily trips to the stores and we go on at least two long excursions to Savannah Ga. twice per year...Battery is original and no signs of becoming defective...I wonder if all stock batteries come from the same supplier, and is the battery for the V6 same as the battery for the 2.0 turbo?
Yes, same battery. OEM and most of the aftermarket 94R/H7 AGMs are made by Johnson Controls.

When I said defective batteries earlier, that was exactly that : defective, not dead because of high heat or short drives. Early failure rate on 2019 batteries appears to be higher than on other model years, but that is just anecdotal.

Your wife's driving habits make me think you should consider a smart charger at home : charge the battery overnight a couple times a month. This could extend battery life quite a bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Order online and pickup at the store. There should be an online rebate. This should get you the best price.
Note and record the manufacture date, CCA and serial number. (The manufacture date is a bit obscure so have the sales person figure it out.)
The really good battery testers use the manufacture date and CCA to calculate the battery "state of health".
Make sure whoever installs the battery gets the clamps on CORRECTLY.
This is a good opportunity to put on a better insulation wrap.

I don't want to sound like a dunce, but I prefer that to ignoring good advice. Other than it looks right, what am I looking for to see if the clamps are on correctly?

Also, are there particular products that make for a better wrap? Is this something that's available or would I have to home-brew my own?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Make sure when you try to twist the clamp by hand it does not move.
I have not actually tried to tighten the clamps, I let my Jeep dealer do it.

I prefer a closed cell foam that is aluminized on both sides.
That way the insulation does not hold water.
Make sure the aluminum surface does not touch the positive post.
I bought some 1/8 inch thick insulation but I haven't seen it recently.
I think it is some sort of house insulation. I haven't found anything recently, you will need to do some research.
Grainger seems to have good insulation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had to repave my batter about a month ago. Ended up getting a Autozone platinum agm. Hard to beat with the free 3yr replacement, and pretty much there is at least one autozone in every major city. So if something were to happen and it needs replaced i am not searching for a hard to come by store.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When the time comes I'm going to install the northstar 27F 94Amp Hour battery.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reactions: Mark_
1 - 20 of 43 Posts