2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey everybody!
My Cherokee did an odd thing this morning after I got gas. I left the station and went to make a left turn. While slowing down to the red light, it was downshifting and then started stumbling and died out at the light. I threw it in park and it fired right back up. I continued my drive and went to pull into a parking lot about 500 feet away and as I entered the parking lot it did the same thing. I was again able to restart it and it’s been driving absolutely fine ever since. I checked the oil level and it’s right in the middle of stick. I have no check engine light. The only thing I noticed was my voltage seems a bit high while driving around. It bounces between 14.4 and 14.6 V. When I parked and got back in 5 minutes later I noticed the voltage was a little low with KOEO. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,481 Posts

Hey everybody!
My Cherokee did an odd thing this morning after I got gas. I left the station and went to make a left turn. While slowing down to the red light, it was downshifting and then started stumbling and died out at the light. I threw it in park and it fired right back up. I continued my drive and went to pull into a parking lot about 500 feet away and as I entered the parking lot it did the same thing. I was again able to restart it and it’s been driving absolutely fine ever since. I checked the oil level and it’s right in the middle of stick. I have no check engine light. The only thing I noticed was my voltage seems a bit high while driving around. It bounces between 14.4 and 14.6 V. When I parked and got back in 5 minutes later I noticed the voltage was a little low with KOEO. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before? Thanks!

Time for a new battery, it looks like to me. Get it tested. Sometimes you don't get much warning, and that appears to be the case on yours...😎

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
That’s what I was thinking. It’s a trip what these things do with a bad battery. Thank you for the reply.

Kind of piss poor timing huh??? Your luck is like mine, I usually always break down on holidays and weekends...LOL...😎

·
Registered
513 Posts
Did you top off or overfill the gas tank? These Cherokees do have an issue where gas easily overflows into the evap system if you have a gas station pump that doesn't cut off and the tank gets overfilled it will cause a stall out condition until the excess fuel is used up that got into the evap system. If the stalling goes away after driving for a bit than an overfill was the issue most likely.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts

Hey everybody!

Sorry... what does KOEO mean ?

14.4-14.6V sounds normal. Your pic with 12.1V : that was with the engine Off, right ?

Funny how this happened after fueling up. Makes me wonder if fuel supply could at fault here (clogged fuel pump/filter ??)

Reactions: 2020AltitudeKL

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Did you top off or overfill the gas tank? These Cherokees do have an issue where gas easily overflows into the evap system if you have a gas station pump that doesn't cut off and the tank gets overfilled it will cause a stall out condition until the excess fuel is used up that got into the evap system. If the stalling goes away after driving for a bit than an overfill was the issue most likely.
This is a 2020, IIRC the evap situation only occured on early 2014 builds. But who knows...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry... what does KOEO mean ?

14.4-14.6V sounds normal. Your pic with 12.1V : that was with the engine Off, right ?

Funny how this happened after fueling up. Makes me wonder if fuel supply could at fault here (clogged fuel pump/filter ??)
Yes the engine was off. Sorry KOEO is abbreviated for Key on engine off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I filled it up from 1/4 of a tank. I always stop at the first click. I never go over that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kind of piss poor timing huh??? Your luck is like mine, I usually always break down on holidays and weekends...LOL...😎
Haha I know right! I always keep my mph in the center screen, but I'm gonna monitor my voltage over the next couple of days to see what happens. I noticed after driving it more this afternoon (15 miles or so) the voltage finally settled back down to around 13.7 volts. I do a lot of city driving and I'm in stop-and-go here in Los Angeles every day which i know is not the best for battery longevity. I also always turn off ESS because I can't stand it. I think I'll bite the bullet and get an AGM battery.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Haha I know right! I always keep my mph in the center screen, but I'm gonna monitor my voltage over the next couple of days to see what happens. I noticed after driving it more this afternoon (15 miles or so) the voltage finally settled back down to around 13.7 volts. I do a lot of city driving and I'm in stop-and-go here in Los Angeles every day which i know is not the best for battery longevity. I also always turn off ESS because I can't stand it. I think I'll bite the bullet and get an AGM battery.
Just know that if your Jeep has ESS, you need an AGM battery even if you don't use the feature.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just know that if your Jeep has ESS, you need an AGM battery even if you don't use the feature.
It possibly could be a fuel or EVAP related quirk, but that resting voltage says battery. X2 Power 94R thin plate AGM is what most of us recommend. Get them while you can. I'm not sure what Optima has planned for the good ol reliable Northstar/X2 Power group Mark. I'm curious to see what their "Flagship" premium thin plate AGM is going to be...😎

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
It possibly could be a fuel or EVAP related quirk, but that resting voltage says battery. X2 Power 94R thin plate AGM is what most of us recommend. Get them while you can. I'm not sure what Optima has planned for the good ol reliable Northstar/X2 Power group Mark. I'm curious to see what their "Flagship" premium thin plate AGM is going to be...😎
12.1V in the center display is not resting voltage, because the ignition is energized (ACC or On), so there is a power draw and 12.1V is an unreliable number in that particular circumstance.

Having said that : neither that voltage nor the running voltage is any indication of battery health, so... only a load test can be useful here.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
what does an engine need to run? fuel, ignition & air?

unrelated I'm sure, our Son has come home for a few days & the '94 Camry he inherited from my Dad is acting up. stalls after cold starts. I know what it is. every cpl of years I have to clean the idle air control valve inside the throttle body to bring back the idle. a little carb cleaner down the little front port should do the trick. I'll wipe down all of the throttle body that I can reach as well

got it done & got the high idle back. gonna rain tomorrow so ... Thanksgiving morning ... looks like it could use more cleaning but the air intake port is good enough for now
Light Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

probably shouldn't be using a metal screwdriver to open butterfly valve, oops. but the scratches don't seem too harmful
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

I'll do a cold start test again when we get back home later

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
646 Posts
what does an engine need to run? fuel, ignition & air?

unrelated I'm sure, our Son has come home for a few days & the '94 Camry he inherited from my Dad is acting up. stalls after cold starts. I know what it is. every cpl of years I have to clean the idle air control valve inside the throttle body to bring back the idle. a little carb cleaner down the little front port should do the trick. I'll wipe down all of the throttle body that I can reach as well

got it done & got the high idle back. gonna rain tomorrow so ... Thanksgiving morning ... looks like it could use more cleaning but the air intake port is good enough for now
View attachment 217317
probably shouldn't be using a metal screwdriver to open butterfly valve, oops. but the scratches don't seem too harmful
View attachment 217318
There is no separate removable IAC valve in the Cherokees throttle body, it is built into the inside of the electronic throttle body.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
gave it a test start & let it run on it's own for 5-7 minutes. the cold Camry started & kept running on it's own, then the high idle kicked in on it's own, then settled back down after a cpl minutes on it's own. never had to throttle it to keep it going. my work is done here. apologies for the digression

1 - 19 of 19 Posts