2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. On a Jeep cherokee 3.2 Limited 2016 car with front-wheel drive - is there a function for shifting the gearbox into sport mode? In versions 4x4 there is for sure, but in this I can not find. I read the instructions - it’s written about the 4x4 version, but not about this. Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
if you have it, it will be a dial at the front of the center console. If you cannot figure it out ask a jeep dealer to show you. One thing ive learned is the owners manual is designed for all versions. Many things in the manual will say "if equipped" before optional or upgrade components

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Good afternoon. On a Jeep cherokee 3.2 Limited 2016 car with front-wheel drive - is there a function for shifting the gearbox into sport mode? In versions 4x4 there is for sure, but in this I can not find. I read the instructions - it’s written about the 4x4 version, but not about this. Thank you all in advance!
Hi there, welcome to JCC :)

Sport Mode is part of Selec Terrain and that is only available on AWD models. In the case of this Cherokee, Sport Mode alters not only shift points, but it changes front-rear torque bias too, so just for AWD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for answers. I want to say that the car is just coming to me. I'm from Ukraine. I was just very interested in this question. Is it possible that on a car with such a gearbox ZF there is not even a front-wheel drive, there is no mode switching? I have a photo of the car, in it the place for switching modes is an empty place. I’ve thought maybe there is a “sport” button or something, but I also seem to be unable to find it. Thanks for the help.

The instructions say: "Sport mode - if available"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answer (It will be a big difference with those who have this mode?

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Thanks for the answer (It will be a big difference with those who have this mode?
The different modes are essentially all wheel drive algorythms for different driving conditions. Each mode, basically, has different stability control parameters, different shift points and different torque split for front and rear axles. So for AWD only.
Are the different modes really noticeable when driving ? Relatively speaking, sure, to a point. If you don't off-road, Auto is probably going to be used a lot more (if not exclusively) by most drivers. The AWD system does a great job in Auto mode, adapts to most conditions. Other modes can be fun, but they'll cost you in fuel consumption too.
The ZF9s were created for both FWD and AWD platforms, with a transverse mounted engine of course. AWD applications get a power transfer unit (PTU) to send power to the back wheels.
BTW the Jeep does not go faster/quicker in Sport Mode, compared to Auto. Last I heard anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like it to accelerate faster, because in sport mode the engine should have higher speeds before shifting gears

Do I need to update the gearbox software?

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I would like it to accelerate faster, because in sport mode the engine should have higher speeds before shifting gears

Do I need to update the gearbox software?
As far as I know, Sport Mode does not make the Jeep quicker, it just makes it feel quicker. Your FWD Cherokee is quicker than AWD Cherokees with the same engine, on high friction surfaces, because it is lighter (and a little lower to the ground).

As far as tuning the transmission (TCM), that's a game I don't play. Search for TCM tuning on this forum, you might find a topic or two. And good luck...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know, Sport Mode does not make the Jeep quicker, it just makes it feel quicker. Your FWD Cherokee is quicker than AWD Cherokees with the same engine, on high friction surfaces, because it is lighter (and a little lower to the ground).

As far as tuning the transmission (TCM), that's a game I don't play. Search for TCM tuning on this forum, you might find a topic or two. And good luck...
Thank you very much. Now I understand everything. The topic can be closed. I will read about the gearbox)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts