2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Cherokee TH 2Litre Turbo
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Club members,

I just got a new 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk with a 2 litre turbo. It took a lot of efforts to find this vehicle. Now the plan is to use MFC 2 inch kit. People say every Jeep is different. So, here I need some advice.. I would love to put 32s or under ..even after pinch weld modification, many say there is some more cutting/grinding required on front fenders (front wheel well). pls suggest if someone has updated their 2020 TH 2 litre turbo. Also, any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Puni

Attachments

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hello Club members,

I just got a new 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk with a 2 litre turbo. It took a lot of efforts to find this vehicle. Now the plan is to use MFC 2 inch kit. People say every Jeep is different. So, here I need some advice.. I would love to put 32s or under ..even after pinch weld modification, many say there is some more cutting/grinding required on front fenders (front wheel well). pls suggest if someone has updated their 2020 TH 2 litre turbo. Also, any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Puni
I have a 2019 which is exactly the same, and I have the MFC lift, and 245/70/17 Toyo A/T III's (30.6). I think it's the perfect setup, and no cutting, trimming, or grinding required. It definitely requires a bit more of that on ours, than the pre 2019 models due to the slightly different front fender shape, if you want to go any larger tires than that. As for the 2.0T, my opinion is that it's clearly proving to be one of the best Jeep engines available in probably a couple of decades. So far, no reported major failures that we've heard of yet. Can't say that about the other available powerplants...Congrats on the new Trailhawk, and welcome from Utah...馃槑

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
You will have to trim the lower part of the front bumper in addition to pinch weld. The 19+ have a slightly steeper angle on the front of the wheel well and it slightly decreases the clearance in that area vs the 14 -18.

Registered
Cherokee TH 2Litre Turbo
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will have to trim the lower part of the front bumper in addition to pinch weld. The 19+ have a slightly steeper angle on the front of the wheel well and it slightly decreases the clearance in that area vs the 14 -18.

Thanks, also if you can share any picture for reference, I was thinking to get 245/75/R17 or 255/75/17

Registered
Cherokee TH 2Litre Turbo
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2019 which is exactly the same, and I have the MFC lift, and 245/70/17 Toyo A/T III's (30.6). I think it's the perfect setup, and no cutting, trimming, or grinding required. It definitely requires a bit more of that on ours, than the pre 2019 models due to the slightly different front fender shape, if you want to go any larger tires than that. As for the 2.0T, my opinion is that it's clearly proving to be one of the best Jeep engines available in probably a couple of decades. So far, no reported major failures that we've heard of yet. Can't say that about the other available powerplants...Congrats on the new Trailhawk, and welcome from Utah...馃槑
Yeah you right Turbo rocks and there are many things we can do to modify this from blow off valve to cool air intake .. Acceleration is sure fast if compare to 3.2 on top it give more MPGs

Registered
Yeah you right Turbo rocks and there are many things we can do to modify this from blow off valve to cool air intake .. Acceleration is sure fast if compare to 3.2 on top it give more MPGs
LOL...they're pretty much identical in acceleration numbers...

Reactions: Puni and MikeR.

Registered
You can do the things you mentioned, but you won't be able to distribute any extra HP or Torque to the wheels as you're limited in that by the PTU. It sucks, but there's not much we can do to our 2.0Ts because of that.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
There's none of those things that are model specific to our engine currently available, as of yet...馃槑

Registered
Cherokee TH 2Litre Turbo
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can do the things you mentioned, but you won't be able to distribute any extra HP or Torque to the wheels as you're limited in that by the PTU. It sucks, but there's not much we can do to our 2.0Ts because of that.
What is PTU ?

Registered
it鈥檚 7.5 vs 8.1 seconds to be precise
All test I've read put it more like max 0.5 of a second difference 0-60 and the times are all over the map. It will depend heavily on the driver as well.
See this thread for more info...real world numbers are VERY close, not the pie in the sky "they should be this" BS. Tyler will chime in eventually and give you the lowdown...

Premium Member
All actual tests show the turbo either slightly faster or slower than the V6,
The V6 actually makes more torque at lower rpms sooner than the Turbo
The turbo does make more torque than the V6 but does so higher in the RPM range.
The turbo is restricted from making its maximum torque in 1st gear due to programming.

Long story short the turbo has horrible tuning and is not anywhere nearly as fast or as powerful as it should be due to it's terrible tuning from the factory which can't be changed.

The PTU is not limiting anything when it comes to performance, transmission is rated for 354 ft/lbs.

Again the tuning is the issue limiting performance and nothing can be done about that.

Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Hello Club members,

Thanks,
Puni
Alright鈥ack to your original question鈥 have a 2019 with a 3鈥 lift. Getting 32鈥 tires under it is a no go. The required cutting and grinding for an extra 1.5鈥 is silly stupid, IMHO. Stay with 245/70 in life will be good. That鈥檚 what I run and it鈥檚 the best, really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts