2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Gen X so I grew up with the CB being a really cool thing. "Breaker-one-nine", "10-4", "You got your ears on?" And all that stuff. Is there any real need for a CB offroad today or is all GMRS radio out there?

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,646 Posts
I'm Gen X so I grew up with the CB being a really cool thing. "Breaker-one-nine", "10-4", "You got your ears on?" And all that stuff. Is there any real need for a CB offroad today or is all GMRS radio out there?
Quite a few people do still use CB's. Good for riding in a close group, and fairly inexpensive comms. I do most of my extensive offroading in my Can Am, and I've set it up with a Rugged Radio setup. It uses multiple bands for different circumstances, and most everyone in my UTV group now uses them...😎
Light Automotive design Telephony Telephone Vehicle

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Mostly it depends on what everybody else is using on your particular 'ride'. CB on the highway for traffic reports seems to be useless.
Apparently truckers don't use GMRS.
I have CB, GMRS and Family Radio. My CB is handheld and can be connected to a magnet mount antenna.
Using handheld anything inside the vehicle has really limited range.
2M seems to be popular out West where there a greater distances.
My guess is everybody is using waze. I don't use it so I don't know.
My GMRS is stuffed between the passenger seat cushion and the center console if I need it, which is seldom.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,082 Posts
I have both, but it depends on what people in your area use. GMRS is far superior to CB, but the group I run with primarily uses CB. We use gmrs/frs for people who don't have a cb, and for when the group gets larger, so we can talk reliably from the front to the back if people fall behind.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4
1 Posts
I do a lot of Highway Milling and Paving in my Street Sweeper and I always communicate with the Dump Trucks using a CB. It's definitely the easiest way to find out who is empty so I can dump or need to call a truck back to stay with me for easy dumping.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check with your local groups. For example, we use 16 when on the trails.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
54 Posts
I got a CB on my jeep as we speak comes in handy. Do yes a cb would be useful

·
Registered
935 Posts
My Jeep group all use GMRS on the trails.

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Canada has their own version of the FCC. See what they have to say.
When I drove from the USA into Canada in the Dark Ages I applied for and received a Canadian CB license so I would be 'legal'.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
dunno about your offloading requirements but FWIW

CB has a dying popularity, even on the highways. but I've been racking up the highway miles the past cpl months due a to family emergency. there's a lot less "chat" but when the highway shuts down & you need info form the other side, it's there

I suppose if I were venturing into more remote parts I'd want as many radio options as possible. right now I have a handheld ham no license, handheld marine & hard wired CB. got a cpl FRS walkies that we played with just a little over the years. those little guys sure are useful when traveling with buddies nearby, even on the highway if you're following ea other. I suppose I'd get a GMRS too if I were where they'd be a nice extra option

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
My guess is everybody is using waze. I don't use it so I don't know.
waze is pretty sweet. nice knowing where the safety cameras & traffic light cameras are! on the highway you get many more useful bits of info from other users in realtime, like stopped vehicles, cops & accidents. but someone with a CB, that just drove by a scene, can verbally describe, in detail, what is going on. then you also get the leap-frog game of "telephone" meaning one person hears something from way up ahead, shares it, then you can pass it on. only thing is, sometimes the story changes/morphs as each person interprets it & passes on what they think they heard

& sometimes in traffic jams, it's nice to shoot the breeze w/ other drivers, stuck out in the heat. misery loves company

when I replace my KL, I'm gonna have to decide if I want to keep a hard wired CB on board ...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes gmrs is good on trails but having various methods of communication is great. I have a cb and I’m currently looking at getting my ham license
I went with my ham for the same reason. We have a very good offroading facebook group, so just need someone to get a message out for me if I'm out of cell coverage. I run a cb in the woods with the group. Some of the group also have frs, with even fewer using gmrs, (though they usually stay on the 5 watt lower channels for the frs people). In our area, cb is good up to about a mile. GMRS at 5 watts, we have run out to 2 or 3 miles with not problem. However, if I'm by myself, or if we have a medical emergency while out, I can 100 percent get someone with the ham as their are repeaters that cover the entire forest, and are linked with the entire state. Just depends on what's in your area, but more options are never a bad thing.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
54 Posts
My Jeep group all use GMRS on the trails.
Yes gmrs is good on trails but having various methods of communication is great. I have a cb and I’m currently looking at getting my ham lic
waze is pretty sweet. nice knowing where the safety cameras & traffic light cameras are! on the highway you get many more useful bits of info from other users in realtime, like stopped vehicles, cops & accidents. but someone with a CB, that just drove by a scene, can verbally describe, in detail, what is going on. then you also get the leap-frog game of "telephone" meaning one person hears something from way up ahead, shares it, then you can pass it on. only thing is, sometimes the story changes/morphs as each person interprets it & passes on what they think they heard

& sometimes in traffic jams, it's nice to shoot the breeze w/ other drivers, stuck out in the heat. misery loves company

when I replace my KL, I'm gonna have to decide if I want to keep a hard wired CB on board ...
i definitely would keep the cb the only province you need a license for cb is Ontario ham you need a license and any other radio besides walk-in talkies need a license I believe. Not to mention if you and buddies are out and about it’s easier to tune in on cb on on of the 40 channels if you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts