2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title shows, i’ve been hearing a fast muted clicking sound seemingly coming from underneath the dash in the center. my immediate theory was a valve train issue. i know the pentastar engines had issues with their rocker rollers. but it sounds much more quiet and less sharp than the other bad rocker bearings i’ve heard before. and what really throws me off about this issue is that it seems completely random. i can’t nail down any variable that seems to recreate this issue. it happens in any gear when the engine is idling but when I accelerate; it goes away which makes me even more skeptical about my rocker roller theory. even in park it is totally random. if i am sitting idle the noise will randomly start and continue for a couple minutes and then suddenly stop for a couple minutes before repeating this process. on top of that the idle feels rough and i feel a lot of vibration.

any theories would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
the 2.4l tigershark does have a bit of a rough, sewing machine sound when it is idling.

As far as I know, the valvetrain on this engine has very good reliability. The rocker roller issue is exclusively to the pentastar family of engines.
The tigershark uses a "Multiair" system on the intake valves, which means there is no mechanical link between the camshaft and the intake valves. Between the rockers and the valves, there are oil-filled solenoids that are used to control intake valve timing and lift.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts