2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its a pet peeve, the manual mode is annoying too.
I see no reason to run the A/C 90% of the time so I dislike the auto system.

Its the worst when temps are between 50-70f and rain doesnt help.
manual mode:
You set temp to 70f, well thats what it assumes you want the air in the car to be.. it wont blow 70.. so now it blows 75f, meanwhile the a/c kicks off and windows fog up..
a couple mins later it kicks the A/C on and air is 60f or lower out of vents and it wont defrost worth a crap.

You can make it more stable by forcing the A/C on with button.

I'd like to set it for 70f and it blows 70F air. but that never happens 70F might be 45F air or 80F depending on what it thinks conditions in the car are.

The base version I like better.. I set it middle of the heat setting and it blows if I get hot I bump it down a notch.. if I get cold I bump it up a couple notches.

The auto version even on manual reacts like a crackho chasing her next fix.. I can make it do what I want mostly.. but its more adjusting than the base climate control.

It works best when its either cold or hot. not so great inbetween.. I'm just not sure how this auto system is an improvement over the base climate control where I set a temp and it blows that temp. I am capable of telling it what temperature I want the air out of the vents to be.. I have adjusted what I do to compensate for it though.

I was also annoyed when my ford ranger ran the A/C in every setting except floor or vent, yes if you put it on floor/vent it ran the A/C
I agree. It seems like a software error in version 18.45.01 in my 2016 Trailhawk with dual zone HVAC. Do you have the same software version? There is definitely a problem that prevents the system from blowing warm or cool air. It only blows very hot or very cold air. Prior to software update 18.45.01 it worked fine. I have a long post about this in the topic called "Poor HVAC performance. Blend Doors?".

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Enlighten me. Version 18.45.01 is the latest Uconnect update I think?
I have a 2014 V6 TH. I usually use 'auto' and it seems to be ok. Actually it seems to work better than me making manual selections.
Does Uconnect control how the HVAC system works? I thought it just gave you soft keys to make personal selections.
Somewhere in the past there was a HVAC update that was done by the dealer. Should I find what it was?
It was: TSB 24-007-16 Update HVAC. Superseded by TSB 24-007-18 which should be done if needed.
i.e. if the customer doesn't guess the symptom it doesn't happen.
I had it done.
With the pandemic going on I don't drive anywhere so maybe I just haven't noticed yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I think it's the latest. The Uconnect site says it's the only one available for my Jeep when I put in the serial number.
When you do the update, it goes through 15 modules. One of them must be HVAC related. Picture below. It takes about 25 minutes or so.
The biggest problem is that when the temperature inside is about the same as the temperature outside, the AC blows out extremely cold air OR the heater blows out hot air. It used to blow medium air, but it won't with this software. And I don't like to turn off the AC and open the windows when it's raining.
I don't want to go to the dealer during the pandemic either.
I'll call them (again) to see if there's an update just for the AC.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Just to make sure, determine if you really installed 18.45.01 I would bet you did.
Look on the thumb drive you used and there should be a file called swdlLog.txt
It is 43kb. Tells everything that was done. I didn't understand it but maybe you can determine if something in the install didn't work correctly.
I have a chart that lists your pre 18.45.01 version and what you need to do to update to 18.45.01.
If you provide your old version I will tell you what my chart says.
The chart is in the instructions, I don't know where I got them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes! Mine does the same thing. It blows cold air when it should be blowing cool or slightly warm air, so I shut mine off too. Do you have software version 18.45.01? I have a long post about this problem in the post called "Poor HVAC performance. Blend Doors?"
No updates are available for mine so I have the latest version, whatever that is

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm thinking the Uconnect falls into the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!" category...I can deal with outdated maps. I don't mind the GPS showing me in the middle of the Hudson River when crossing the Tappen Zee Bridge since they moved it a couple hundred yards away from where the old one used to be...You New Yorkers know what I'm talking about...No big deal...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Friends,

I purchased a used Jeep Cherokee few months back. I noticed that when I run the climate control heater/AC in Auto mode then it sucks air from outside instead of circulating the inside cabin air. So what I did when I press the interior air circulation button while the Auto mode heater is running the yellow light on the interior air-circulation button blinks and then goes off and it does not get activated.

However I noticed that when I use the AC mode instead of the Auto climate control then after the interior air circulation mode is enabled and yellow light comes on when I press that button.

I found this whole thing very confusing and difficult to use because I personally want to shut off outside air(containing pollutants and smoke) on highway driving . But I am used to the auto mode climate control where we set the temprature and just forget. is there a way we can enable the interior air - circulation in the Auto mode running. Please advise. Thanks!!
I don’t understand your confusion AUTO mode is just that it takes care of everything AUTOMATICALLY meaning adjusting the fan speed , then temperature to what is set at and directing the air to where it’s needed and where it comes from meaning inside or outside.
MANUAL mode works manually and you can choose fan speed , where the air is directed to , the heat or cool setting and where the air comes from. You answered that yourself when you said you put in MANUAL mode and could choose recirculating air.
You can’t have it both ways cause then it’s not AUTOMATICALLY controlled if your changing settings on your own.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don’t understand your confusion AUTO mode is just that it takes care of everything AUTOMATICALLY meaning adjusting the fan speed , then temperature to what is set at and directing the air to where it’s needed and where it comes from meaning inside or outside.
MANUAL mode works manually and you can choose fan speed , where the air is directed to , the heat or cool setting and where the air comes from. You answered that yourself when you said you put in MANUAL mode and could choose recirculating air.
You can’t have it both ways cause then it’s not AUTOMATICALLY controlled if your changing settings on your own.
I'm glad we got that straightend out...😎

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hi I’m not on here all the time and I’ve been meaning to ask did you pick the name flybynightcru cause your a Rush fan or is it just the name of the vehicle delivery service I think I saw you mention in another post. 😀
LOL!!! It's actually a combination of our business names, and a couple other things thrown in. It never had anything to do with the Rush song, although I am a Rush fan. One of the greatest live shows ever...😎

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to make sure, determine if you really installed 18.45.01 I would bet you did.
Look on the thumb drive you used and there should be a file called swdlLog.txt
It is 43kb. Tells everything that was done. I didn't understand it but maybe you can determine if something in the install didn't work correctly.
I have a chart that lists your pre 18.45.01 version and what you need to do to update to 18.45.01.
If you provide your old version I will tell you what my chart says.
The chart is in the instructions, I don't know where I got them.
I just figured out how to get email alerts when someone replies to my post. I saw your post tonight, but unfortunately I reformatted the thumb drive earlier today. So I don't have the swdlLog.txt. Sorry.

This is the third time I've installed the same software, and you're right, I'm sure it's the right version.

I've been having an email discussion with FCA/Jeep. I have an appointment with the local dealer tomorrow morning. I'll update my posts if I go through with the service appointment.

The service manager told me over voicemail that even if the problem is in their software, I would be charged for the diagnosis. That doesn't seem right.

I went to two local Air conditioning garages last week, and they both hooked up their diagnostic equipment, and they both think the problem is software. So I have to go to the dealer.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts