2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I purchased a used Jeep Cherokee few months back. I noticed that when I run the climate control heater/AC in Auto mode then it sucks air from outside instead of circulating the inside cabin air. So what I did when I press the interior air circulation button while the Auto mode heater is running the yellow light on the interior air-circulation button blinks and then goes off and it does not get activated.

However I noticed that when I use the AC mode instead of the Auto climate control then after the interior air circulation mode is enabled and yellow light comes on when I press that button.

I found this whole thing very confusing and difficult to use because I personally want to shut off outside air(containing pollutants and smoke) on highway driving . But I am used to the auto mode climate control where we set the temprature and just forget. is there a way we can enable the interior air - circulation in the Auto mode running. Please advise. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The HVAC system has a mind of its own. I don't pretend to understand how it works.
Would a BOSCH HEPA Premium cabin air filter solve your concern for pollutants and smoke?
The key term being HEPA. The part number is 6084C.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Recirculation Button
Press and release this button on the touchscreen, or push the button on the faceplate, to change the system between recirculation mode and outside air mode. Recirculation can be used when outside conditions, such as smoke, odors, dust, or humidity are present. Recirculation can be used in all modes except for Defrost. Recirculation may be unavailable if conditions exist that could create fog- ging on the inside of the windshield. The A/C can be deselected manually without disturbing the mode control selection. Continuous use of the Recirculation mode may make the inside air stuffy and window fogging may occur. Extended use of this mode is not recommended.

The above was copied out of the manual so yes it can help your situation. The downside is your reusing the air inside and I don’t think it’s a good idea to recycle used air very long especially if multiple people in vehicle.

As suggested above upgrade filter and Change it more frequently for quality air will be much healthier.
The auto mode is pretty smart and figures it out pretty close for fan speed temperature and vents to be used but have manual over ride for any setting.
I probably use Auto 99% of the time summer and winter.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
753 Posts
The auto system is complicated any annoying. its working as intended.. why it was intended to work that way is another story.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The auto system is complicated any annoying. its working as intended.. why it was intended to work that way is another story.
Why is it complicated? Set the temp you want and forget it. Haven’t used mine any other way. What’s the big deal? You can always use the manual mode if that’s less annoying....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why is it complicated? Set the temp you want and forget it. Haven’t used mine any other way. What’s the big deal? You can always use the manual mode if that’s less annoying....
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its a pet peeve, the manual mode is annoying too.
I see no reason to run the A/C 90% of the time so I dislike the auto system.

Its the worst when temps are between 50-70f and rain doesnt help.
manual mode:
You set temp to 70f, well thats what it assumes you want the air in the car to be.. it wont blow 70.. so now it blows 75f, meanwhile the a/c kicks off and windows fog up..
a couple mins later it kicks the A/C on and air is 60f or lower out of vents and it wont defrost worth a crap.

You can make it more stable by forcing the A/C on with button.

I'd like to set it for 70f and it blows 70F air. but that never happens 70F might be 45F air or 80F depending on what it thinks conditions in the car are.

The base version I like better.. I set it middle of the heat setting and it blows if I get hot I bump it down a notch.. if I get cold I bump it up a couple notches.

The auto version even on manual reacts like a crackho chasing her next fix.. I can make it do what I want mostly.. but its more adjusting than the base climate control.

It works best when its either cold or hot. not so great inbetween.. I'm just not sure how this auto system is an improvement over the base climate control where I set a temp and it blows that temp. I am capable of telling it what temperature I want the air out of the vents to be.. I have adjusted what I do to compensate for it though.

I was also annoyed when my ford ranger ran the A/C in every setting except floor or vent, yes if you put it on floor/vent it ran the A/C

·
Registered
701 Posts

manual mode:
You set temp to 70f, well thats what it assumes you want the air in the car to be.. it wont blow 70.. so now it blows 75f, meanwhile the a/c kicks off and windows fog up..
a couple mins later it kicks the A/C on and air is 60f or lower out of vents and it wont defrost worth a crap.

I'd like to set it for 70f and it blows 70F air. but that never happens 70F might be 45F air or 80F depending on what it thinks conditions in the car are.

The base version I like better.. I set it middle of the heat setting and it blows if I get hot I bump it down a notch.. if I get cold I bump it up a couple notches.

The auto version even on manual reacts like a crackho chasing her next fix.. I can make it do what I want mostly.. but its more adjusting than the base climate control.

It works best when its either cold or hot. not so great inbetween.. I'm just not sure how this auto system is an improvement over the base climate control where I set a temp and it blows that temp. I am capable of telling it what temperature I want the air out of the vents to be.. I have adjusted what I do to compensate for it though.

I was also annoyed when my ford ranger ran the A/C in every setting except floor or vent, yes if you put it on floor/vent it ran the A/C
Wow. Yours is clearly defective! I'm with @OhareFred... Auto. Done. No drama. And the A/C is only on when it needs it (hot or too humid out).

Reactions: idonbro

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wow. Yours is clearly defective! I'm with @OhareFred... Auto. Done. No drama. And the A/C is only on when it needs it (hot or too humid out).
FWIW my 2017 was nearly the same so I figure its more like operator error. I like manual. I might try the full auto mode more.
I basically dislike that the manual mode isnt really manual.
you arent telling it what to do.. you tell it what you want a significant difference.

I'd like to tell it hey send me 74F air.. but what it gets is "make air in car 74f"

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That's what we're saying. Isn't that the whole point? Kinda like setting the thermostat in the house. The HVAC in most homes is exactly the same, set and forgot...LOL!!!🤔

I'd like to tell it hey send me 74F air.. but what it gets is "make air in car 74f"
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
52 Posts

manual mode:

That sounds like me and my wife every time she rides with me. She turns up the temp all the way down, and then sets the fan at 2, so then my stop/start won't work. I'm like just put it at what you want, and it will figure it out. It doesn't just blow out 70, it turns it all the way down until it gets where its needed and then holds it there. Auto is also so much better in winter. No need to guess when the engine has enough heat to turn on the heater.

·
Registered
753 Posts
That's what we're saying. Isn't that the whole point? Kinda like setting the thermostat in the house. The HVAC in most homes is exactly the same, set and forgot...LOL!!!🤔

[/QUOTE]

Right but you have to understand when you tell it you want air in the car thats 74f, it might give you 90f or 50f air.. or air thats 74f depending on what it thinks you need.

I'd rather just tell it give me air thats 74f boom done.. I'm not even a grumpy old guy 😉

·
Registered
304 Posts
Overall I'm happy with the performance of my hvac system. I set the temp and leave it on auto and all is good.

However, with the right moderate outside temp, sometimes no warming or cooling is needed at all, but the system will still try and maintain its set temp. On those occasions it may start blowing some cool air on me that I don't appreciate, so I just turn the system off completely instead of messing with the controls.

I've owned cars with no air conditioning at all, or heaters which would take a half hour to really warm the car up in the winter, so I REALLY appreciate the systems they have now days even though they may not be perfect.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the days of getting into a friends car on a brutally cold winter day and they would turn the fan up to high right away, so it was blowing freezing air for the next several minutes, just making things colder inside. Grrrrr.... Thankfully the auto hvac systems in cars now are smart enough to hold back on the high fan setting until there is actually some damn heat to blow into the car. A pity I could never convince some of my friends of that simple logic. ;)

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
143 Posts
I must have cheap version 2017 TH . All I have is a blue to red line with an arrow that goes up and down for temp setting . More red more heat more blue more cool, middle perfect most times

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Let's not forget those heated and cooling seats!!! I love the fact, on those cold winter mornings, within 10 minutes, the cockpit is pretty cozy, and the seat, and the steering wheel are always nice and warm!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I must have cheap version 2017 TH . All I have is a blue to red line with an arrow that goes up and down for temp setting . More red more heat more blue more cool, middle perfect most times
Yep that’s what my great great grandpappy had. Think they discovered auto air in 60’s. So you might have a antique model which could be worth a whole lot of money!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
304 Posts
Let's not forget those heated and cooling seats!!! I love the fact, on those cold winter mornings, within 10 minutes, the cockpit is pretty cozy, and the seat, and the steering wheel are always nice and warm!!!
No doubt!

And I would put the joy of heated steering wheels over that that of the heated seats. My butt has plenty of insulated padding already, but my hands, not so much. lol

·
Registered
753 Posts
Btw guys I am trying "AUTO" out for the winter :).

I'm not afraid of change.. I didnt think I would ever use the power liftgate but its my favorite feature now.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Btw guys I am trying "AUTO" out for the winter :).

I'm not afraid of change.. I didnt think I would ever use the power liftgate but its my favorite feature now.
You're going to learn to love that just as much!!! LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Overall I'm happy with the performance of my hvac system. I set the temp and leave it on auto and all is good.

However, with the right moderate outside temp, sometimes no warming or cooling is needed at all, but the system will still try and maintain its set temp. On those occasions it may start blowing some cool air on me that I don't appreciate, so I just turn the system off completely instead of messing with the controls.

I've owned cars with no air conditioning at all, or heaters which would take a half hour to really warm the car up in the winter, so I REALLY appreciate the systems they have now days even though they may not be perfect.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the days of getting into a friends car on a brutally cold winter day and they would turn the fan up to high right away, so it was blowing freezing air for the next several minutes, just making things colder inside. Grrrrr.... Thankfully the auto hvac systems in cars now are smart enough to hold back on the high fan setting until there is actually some damn heat to blow into the car. A pity I could never convince some of my friends of that simple logic. ;)
Yes! Mine does the same thing. It blows cold air when it should be blowing cool or slightly warm air, so I shut mine off too. Do you have software version 18.45.01? I have a long post about this problem in the post called "Poor HVAC performance. Blend Doors?"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts