2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee North
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post.

I just ordered a dual dash cam and was wondering if anybody ever installed the rear camera under the spoiler on the outside. It seems like it would be a perfect place (away from the elements, outside so not dimmed by the tint, etc).

If it works, any idea how to route the wiring? I was thinking of having it pass through the grommets on the top of the lift gate, but then, how would I get the wiring outside?

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,409 Posts
I just ordered a dual dash cam and was wondering if anybody ever installed the rear camera under the spoiler on the outside. It seems like it would be a perfect place (away from the elements, outside so not dimmed by the tint, etc).
That definitely would be out in the elements. I think you would need a camera designed for outdoors. Not sure anyone has ever tried that before with a dash cam. Good luck, and welcome from Utah!!!😎

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee North
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, the rear cam is for the outdoor. I got the Wolfbox G900. The install videos mostly put it outside. To install it, I will have to see if I can leave my Cherokee in the shop of my school where I work for most of the day since we are in freezing temps until spring in frozen Northern Ontario Canada. :p I will write up my install if it works.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
Not a bad idea, but my Trailhawk gets mighty dusty under that back spoiler. I think it's how the slipstream makes a vacuum under it - it literally sucks dust up there. The rear camera by the license plate doesn't have that problem. It stays quite clean considering the amount of dust everywhere else.

I put my camera on the inside, just below where the top of the rear window wiper makes its pass. That way when things get dirty, a quick pass of the washer/wiper and all is clear.

Of course, if you don't travel dusty roads that isn't a problem!

Reactions: Ronin38

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee North
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a bad idea, but my Trailhawk gets mighty dusty under that back spoiler. I think it's how the slipstream makes a vacuum under it - it literally sucks dust up there. The rear camera by the license plate doesn't have that problem. It stays quite clean considering the amount of dust everywhere else.

I put my camera on the inside, just below where the top of the rear window wiper makes its pass. That way when things get dirty, a quick pass of the washer/wiper and all is clear.

Of course, if you don't travel dusty roads that isn't a problem!
Yeah.. dust is not really a problem here, but slush, snow, salt (from the roads) are, that's why I'm looking at something up high. The back up camera on the Gladiator was essentially useless for me in winter.

· Registered
49 Posts
You can mount it on the window just below the spoiler with double sided (high strength) adhesive tape. That will give a little more coverage from the elements. You can also make a small hole in the spoiler to run the wiring along with the wiring already there for the brake light. A little silicone sealant will keep the entry hole sealed.

I did a similar install on another car 7 years ago and it's still going strong without any issues. I just run my finger across the camera lens every month or so and the lens stays pretty much clean.

I just wonder if the glare from the brake light will impair visibility for the camera. My camera was shielded from the brake light.

Edit: I just looked up your camera and saw that it will mount to the spoiler instead of the rear glass because of how it's wired. This shouldn't be a problem. I'd suggest experimenting with placing tape on the lower side of the brake light if you get glare. This shouldn't affect it's visibility to drivers behind. Nor sure if there are legal issues with taping part of the brake light.

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
107 Posts
First post.

If it works, any idea how to route the wiring? I was thinking of having it pass through the grommets on the top of the lift gate, but then, how would I get the wiring outside?
It’s a good idea but the spoiler has no support and is only held in with a few small bolts it’s also not really out of the elements as I have mud and road sleet pool underneath it

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee North
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies. After looking at what the spoiler looks like, I think that it will work without any problems. I don't think that the weight of this tiny camera would be a problem. I will tape it on first to see if glare is a problem, I didn't think of that since the light is really completely at the back of the spoiler. As for problems with mud and road sleet, it can't be worst than the backup camera I had on my Gladiator :p

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
107 Posts
Thanks for your replies. After looking at what the spoiler looks like, I think that it will work without any problems. I don't think that the weight of this tiny camera would be a problem. I will tape it on first to see if glare is a problem, I didn't think of that since the light is really completely at the back of the spoiler. As for problems with mud and road sleet, it can't be worst than the backup camera I had on my Gladiator :p
Can confirm it gets nasty and is difficult to clean

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee North
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed my rear camera this morning. I wanted a clean install, and I think I got it. :) Here is what I did:
1. I first had to take off the spoiler. There are 6 nuts that you have to take of first:
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
After taking of the trim around the window of the rear gate, the nuts are easy to see, except for 2 that are behind a closed grommet, on either side.
2. Then. I unhooked the spoiler (there are three body clips to force so that can happen).
3. I found the grommet that passes through the hose for the spray nozzle. There is an extra nipple, I guess to pass through something like a backup camera. I cut that open to pass the wire from the camera.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Rim Vehicle door

4. I then put the spoiler back on and place the camera where I wanted.
5. I stuck it on with the 3M tape that came with it and stuffed the extra cable underneath the spoiler.
Atmosphere Hood Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire

6. I then passed the other cable (the one coming from the front of the vehicle), through the grommet/accordion that brings all of the wires and tubing to the rear gate.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel

Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber Automotive design Trunk

7. I connected both wires and Bob's your uncle. Done!

I still have to route all the wiring inside to the front and connect the hardwire kit when it arrives next week.

Time will tell if it holds up and if I have to clean it all the time.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Window Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Hood Camera lens Camera Sky

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts