2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing this with three "bullet" LED's but have questions.
I'd like the LED's to light up only when the ignition is "on".
I don't want to have to run a separate on/off switch to the cabin.
I'm thinking of tapping into the fuse for the power outlet - center console ( F60 in the under hood fuse box panel ) using "fuse taps"
Do you guys think there will be a problem with this idea ?
Would using a fuse location marked as "not used" be preferable, as long as I can find a "hot only with ignition" ?
These are what I plan using == Product Line Font Tool Parallel

I'd appreciate any help from your collective wisdom - thanks.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
This is what I did to install driving lights:
Refer to this: Headlight Options Post #2.
F65 is only hot when the ignition is ON. Use a Bussman add a tap.
The Pilot remote can control 4 circuits, so you can independently control grill lights, driving lights, whatever you want.
Have you confirmed F60 is ignition switched? I have a 2014 TH so it may be different.
I never tried using a fuse location marked as "not used", do they work?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sanghill. The Bussman I can get at my local Autozone (y)
Your TH fuse box may be different than my 2018 ?? .
F65 I show as "Temperature sensor/Humidity sensor/Driver assist/Park assist" I'll check that location.
I haven't yet checked on any of the "not used" locations yet.
I'll re-check on F60 again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
WTH though !! My fuse box downloaded/printed diagram is a little different than what I see under the hood :cautious: - go figure huh !
Although I now know that none of my "no used" locations are hot -- too bad.
Seems I have two obvious options -- F65 as Sanghill mentioned in post #2, and F66 (HVAC Instrument panel cluster)
If anyone thinks otherwise please, please let me know :unsure:

·
Registered
137 Posts
make sure the fuses are in the right slot on the tap and that the tap is the right way for your fuse place.

You can get the fuses wrong, you need to have the one fuse protect the other but reverse will expose the draw through a different size fusefor the originalcircuit then through the added. which is not good lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
make sure the fuses are in the right slot on the tap and that the tap is the right way for your fuse place.

You can get the fuses wrong, you need to have the one fuse protect the other but reverse will expose the draw through a different size fusefor the originalcircuit then through the added. which is not good lol
Good info. Thank you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grill lights installed and working.
An FYI for anyone wanting to do this - this just my 2018 TH with it's fuse box that didn't exactly fit the diagram under the fuse box lid.
All fuse locations that said "not used" were not factory wired up connections - nothing in that location for a fuse to connect to.
Not wanting to tap into a fuse that protected anything I thought important to the vehicle safe running was giving me a headache :( . -- I eventually found F75 (Cigar Lighter if equipped), which fortunately had only the hot side wired and ready to accept a micro fuse. If it was purposely wired like that from the factory it worked great for me as it was only hot when "ignition on" and the negative side went nowhere.
Soooooo, Bussman fuse tap inserted, using only the top of the "tap" and a 15A fuse.
I hope this scribbling makes some sense.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts
Grill lights installed and working.
An FYI for anyone wanting to do this - this just my 2018 TH with it's fuse box that didn't exactly fit the diagram under the fuse box lid.
All fuse locations that said "not used" were not factory wired up connections - nothing in that location for a fuse to connect to.
Not wanting to tap into a fuse that protected anything I thought important to the vehicle safe running was giving me a headache :( . -- I eventually found F75 (Cigar Lighter if equipped), which fortunately had only the hot side wired and ready to accept a micro fuse. If it was purposely wired like that from the factory it worked great for me as it was only hot when "ignition on" and the negative side went nowhere.
Soooooo, Bussman fuse tap inserted, using only the top of the "tap" and a 15A fuse.
I hope this scribbling makes some sense.
Let's see a frontal pic of the "Rapcoma" at night...LOL!!!😉😎

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pics
Three 1/4" flush mounted bright white LED's
Fuse tap location - right side of pic.
Where I grounded to the chassis.
View attachment 220940 View attachment 220941 View attachment 220942
I know you already scratched the paint, but are you able to get a copper crimp end from the auto store, crimp on the wire, then attach UNDER that piece of sheet metal, and maybe tucket the wire and route nicely along or something? Just thinking for your future. Plus corrosion sucks, and that would help mitigate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know you already scratched the paint, but are you able to get a copper crimp end from the auto store, crimp on the wire, then attach UNDER that piece of sheet metal, and maybe tucket the wire and route nicely along or something? Just thinking for your future. Plus corrosion sucks, and that would help mitigate.
Hmmmmm - Good thought, I may look into that later on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts