2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here use Inreach? It looks like a great tool to have when off-road with no cell or radio service. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This is about the Inreach Mini? There is also a larger more expensive unit.
Looks like what I need because I am always off road at my Tree Farm with my 2014 Trailhawk which could break-down at any time. When I am on top of my hill my cell phone works. When I am at my cabin you have to find a good spot and not move.
Found this review: https://www.clevertraining.com/garmin-inreach-mini-gps-satellite-communicator?sel=010-01879-00&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=je6NUbpObpQ&utm_campaign=program_level&ranMID=43627&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-cipbbTXA9d1_qsM1X6U_Sg
Does the person you send a text message to need an Inreach Mini also?
Apparently it doesn't do well under tree canopy so that is a "show stopper" for me.
Where does the SOS message go?
I am not sure my local rescue squad could find me on my hill.
Maybe the off-road club I belong to has more information.
I let somebody know where I am going when I go off road so the rescue party will be able to find my body.
The best solution is to go off-roading with a group but that rarely works.
When I get up in the morning I look at the Wisp Resort web cam and if I can see my hill I am gone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been doing a lot of research on the Mini. It appears you can send a txt message to any phone and receive txt messages from any phone. SOS messages go to a central location and are directed to the area the message came from. Once contacted the Mini will allow you to tell emergency services what the nature of the problem is. Looks like cheap insurance if you have an emergency out of cell phone range. It also pairs to your cell phone allowing you to use maps on your phone and control the Mini with your phone. Just have to be careful with battery life. I'm almost sold as I can see myself doing some off-roading by myself.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered the thing. I'll post any observations in this thread. Seriously doubt I"ll be able to test the SOS feature, but I'll definitely see how the text messaging goes. It also works as a GPS, links to maps on your cell phone and leaves a breadcrumb trail for you and your friends, family. I"ll also try it under a tree canopy and see how that works.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Use inReach for backcountry hiking - most recently the Unita Mountains in Utah. We really like it, especially the tracking and text features. We have not used it for off-roading. Note: REI/Garmin just started selling a unit that combines Garmin (Topo, etc) with inReach in the same unit. Thinking about checking it out.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I plan on picking one up within the next year. My wife and I are selling our home and going to buy a 40+' sailing catamaran. One key thing we'll be having as part of our communication suite is an InReach. This is perfect for us on our long sailing passages to let friends and family know everything is OK, even if we were in the middle of the Pacific ocean :wink:.

There is and SOS feature (with would be in addition to our EPIRB), but for those non-critical emergencies, 2-way texting for assistance is a big plus....say if you have to do an impromptu appendectomy, haha!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use inReach for backcountry hiking - most recently the Unita Mountains in Utah. We really like it, especially the tracking and text features. We have not used it for off-roading. Note: REI/Garmin just started selling a unit that combines Garmin (Topo, etc) with inReach in the same unit. Thinking about checking it out.
The Mini will connect to your phone giving you maps and making it easier to txt. I think you can just leave the mini attached to your pack, belt, etc. and use your phone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like the ideal off-road safety device. I played with it a bit today. Sends and receives txt messages easily, very easily if paired to your phone. Lots of features for hiking, off-roading. Main feature for off-roaders is the SOS button that will bring help if you need it. You can even communicate with rescuers which a lot of emergency SAT devices will not let you do. Another plus is Garmin Earthmate you can download to your phone/touchpad. My iPad has GPS and since the maps are downloaded you get a lot of detail off-road unlike Google Maps and in-car NAV systems. Lots of YouTube videos on the Mini so check it out for some peace of mind off-road.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So you need to buy the unit itself, and then additionally you need to subscribe to get satellite service? Is that right? How much is the satellite service?

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you need to buy the unit itself, and then additionally you need to subscribe to get satellite service? Is that right? How much is the satellite service?

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk
Go here: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/ProductDocs/inReach-Data-Fees-USA.pdf

I did a lot of research before buying the Mini and the combination of price, services and reliability made the Garmin an easy choice. The plans remind me of the old cell phone plans where you have to decide how much you will use your device. I got the cheapest monthly plan as I will only be off-roading in the summer months and will probably use it for emergencies only. I can probably answer any questions you have as I've been playing with the thing all day.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just ordered the thing. I'll post any observations in this thread. Seriously doubt I"ll be able to test the SOS feature, but I'll definitely see how the text messaging goes. It also works as a GPS, links to maps on your cell phone and leaves a breadcrumb trail for you and your friends, family. I"ll also try it under a tree canopy and see how that works.
We'll be looking forward to your observations/report on the device.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My son's scout troop takes an older inreach device on our backcountry trips. We haven't had an emergency yet, so I can't comment on the rescue side of things.

We do a week long trip each spring and summer, so we activate the service for a month around the trip dates.

It's a nice bit of backup when we are 2 days from a road, and are responsible for other people's kids.

Sent from my HP 38

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more thing. I said I would try the thing under a tree canopy. Well, it works in my living room. I do have a lot of windows and I live at 8000', but that's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread but just saw it now. I have been using the InReach Mini since December of last year for hiking and trail running in Colorado where there are no cell signals. It's great for the family to track where I'm and I can also load my intended route so they can see how much further I need to go. I can send quick text to my wife, and she can text my InReach as well. Once my wife texted me on the InReach to alert me when I went off the the intended route LOL. I also confirmed the battery does last 50 hours on the 10 minutes tracking without logging mode.

Testing the SOS function is impossible though but I have read of quite a few SAR missions in Colorado backcountry this year that were triggered via InReach, so it works for that for sure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I also have the inReach mini. I got it back in January but haven't had a chance to go anywhere to use it yet. Hopefully in the next few months before winter comes again.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Had the inReach Mini for about 4 months now. Every time I'm out 'wheeling I turn it on during our picnic breaks, especially when there's no cell service (which is just about everywhere worthwhile to 'wheel in AZ). I'll send myself a pre-canned message just to see that it works. Of course, I don't know for sure until I get back into cell range. Good way to tag the spots we stop at.

Most of the time it works just fine, even when in the woods. The only time it didn't work was when we stopped in a narrow canyon that had a good tree canopy. Couldn't get a satellite fix at all.

The inReach is really just for emergencies. If I ever need it I hope I'll have a adequate view of the sky! Hate the thought of having to figure out how to get to a clearing if I had a broken leg (or worse).

...and yes - I sometimes 'wheel alone. Good idea? Of course not. Good for the soul? Absolutely!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...and yes - I sometimes 'wheel alone. Good idea? Of course not. Good for the soul? Absolutely!
Me too. I have trouble finding others with or without Jeeps who want to go out so that Inreach is my 4-Wheelin buddy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts