2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Latitude Plus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To catch anyone up, We have a 2021 Latitude plus with the 2.4l and AD1, No factory tow package.

Had the dealer install the factory hitch and facia, I know I could have done this but wanted to make sure it was covered under warranty. The cost was $695 with a coupon, no wiring included. I then ordered the Tekonsha 118779 T Connector wiring harness from amazon. Here is the reasoning behind that.

Most if not all Cherokee's with the tow package are AD2, 3.2L. They also include an extra fan for cooling and a higher output alternator. This is due to the larger tow capacity the 3.2l gives. It needs extra cooling as well as the higher output alternator for the 7 pin aux power connection. I would assume for battery charging or what have you. I researched the compass which only comes with the 2.4l and CAN come with the tow package. The tow package on the compass only comes with the hitch and wiring. It does not come with the extra cooling etc.

That all being said I got the wiring harness installed with no issues. Now we have towed our little tent trailer GVWR 1800lbs around our foothills and up a pretty long incline. I have been towing in "Sport" mode only as I read that would be closest to a "Tow" mode. I have to say even with the 2.4l it does great. Granted I'm not winning any speed contests but I have no issues getting up to speed and held 50-55 in 4th up the incline. Tranny temp never went above ~190 and the engine was steady at ~210. It shifts very well in sport when towing, it never was "Searching" and downshifted when needed. All in all pretty happy. I would love to hear if anyone else tows with the 2.4l and their thoughts.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I tow a small folding utility trailer with my 2.4L AD1 Cherokee, but I have only loaded it up to ~1000lb.
I use it to take furniture up to our cabin in the mountains (~5200ft elevation) and my experience closely mimics yours, except I don't use SPORT for towing, and instead I utilize the ERS to control downshifts and to limit the transmission to 5-6 gear max on the freeway.
My temperatures are in line with yours, except I have seen the coolant go up to 234 max before the fan kicks in and the temp goes down to 190 quickly.
Transmission only got warm when I was in stop and go traffic on a long incline, and like your experience, only got up to ~190.

With the AD1, you already get the upgraded brakes, identical to the tow package, and every Cherokee with the 9 speed transmission has the same auxiliary transmission cooler, so I think in terms of towing, we are only limited by the power output of the 2.4L.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1,800 pounds is pretty darn good for the 2.4 engine and an aftermarket hitch. The Ford Bronco Sport Badlands, with the standard 2.0 EcoBoost and the factory towing package, has a max towing capacity of only 2,200 lbs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1,800 pounds is pretty darn good for the 2.4 engine and an aftermarket hitch. The Ford Bronco Sport Badlands, with the standard 2.0 EcoBoost and the factory towing package, has a max towing capacity of only 2,200 lbs.
Funny, I was looking at that exact model when shopping for the jeep. The 9 speed tranny really helps and makes up low power. You almost couldn't tell lol

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
759 Posts
...except I don't use SPORT for towing, and instead I utilize the ERS to control downshifts and to limit the transmission to 5-6 gear max on the freeway...
Important to note that the 2019+ doesn't have ERS, it has AutoStick, totally different beast!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Figured it was kinda the same thing, manual shifting.
Kind of. Think of it as paddle shifters but its done by the shift lever. Fun fact EU KLs have paddle shifters as an option.
Unlike ERS that lets say you set it to 3 it will only upshift through all gears till hit hits 3rd gear, or what ever gear you have it set too. Autostick lets you up shift, down shift on command as long as it does not cause a over or under rev condition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kind of. Think of it as paddle shifters but its done by the shift lever. Fun fact EU KLs have paddle shifters as an option.
Unlike ERS that lets say you set it to 3 it will only upshift through all gears till hit hits 3rd gear, or what ever gear you have it set too. Autostick lets you up shift, down shift on command as long as it does not cause a over or under rev condition.
Oh ok, I guess I have never seen ERS before. Any car I have seen with a manual mode seemed to be autostick.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Important to note that the 2019+ doesn't have ERS, it has AutoStick, totally different beast!
Yup, you're right.
My wife's Renegade has the autostick and I honestly prefer it to the ERS because I drove stick starting at 16, until I got the Cherokee.
(As an aside, my wife's Renegade has the same drivetrain - 9speed transmission and 2.4L tigershark, so I get to compare performance back and forth between the two vehicles going up to and back from the cabin. Cherokee gets better gas mileage overall despite being ~700lb heavier, probably due to aerodynamics)

That being said, functionality and safety-wise, ERS is all you need for towing because it always lets you downshift to a lower gear.
It's not good for trying to get the best gas mileage when you're not towing. There are times that I KNOW, I can cruise or coast in 9th, but it just won't upshift unless I am going downhill for an extended period of time. Once in 9th, I can keep it there for a long time, but I wish I could force it sometimes...

Awesome info, what shift points do you use with the ERS?
On flat terrain, I usually upshift ~3000rpm
In the mountains, it's more like 4000-4500rpm because of the elevation.

The tigershark makes peak torque at 4800rpm, and most of the gear spacing is such that if you hit redline before upshifting, you're back around 4500rpm for the next gear, keeping you at the optimum torque/power band.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts