2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
A white 2021 Trailhawk named Stormtrooper.
79 Posts
It may be a regional thing, but when I was shopping for my TH last fall, there was a good supply of vehicles, but no Cherokees with ADII (ignoring Trailhawk) within 250 miles of me. Since I preferred the TH anyway, I was okay with that. I suspect a great many shoppers aren’t aware or are only dimly aware that the ADII option exists, I certainly don’t ever remember it being promoted seriously. Availability is surely a major driver in scarceness of ADII.

Everybody has to be the judge of what they need in options, balanced by availability and pocketbook considerations. I am completely baffled that anyone would buy a FWD Jeep, but a great many people do. And they are right in making a decision that seems correct for them, without regard to my feelings on the subject. I’m sure many of them would say that if I really wanted a Trailhawk, I should have bought a Wrangler instead! Hooray for freedom of choice!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
We would have bought ad II if it only included getting back to Subaru ground clearance/entry height which is near ideal for these two seniors one of which is rapidly reaching the point of finally saying -ok- to getting a few new parts installed.

our vehicle ad II, paint bump up, cus conv-tow pkg was off the lot at just over 31k according to the Mrs, which was less than pretty much anything else including another crappy Subaru and the Jeep offered so much more.

Are we glad to be rid of Subaru and everything that makes a Subaru a Subaru-cvt and the ever present head gasket problems just to name a few.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't need something like ADII until I moved out to the base of the Sierra's. Up until then I was happy with my Crosstrek for my fishing trips. Once out here tho a lot of the trails out here are at the limit or beyond the Crosstrek's ability to navigate. I could have happily used an ADI Cherokee instead of a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Latitude Plus
27 Posts
"I hate when that happens, but hey, welcome to the OG club. There's like you, me and like two other people that have that color!!! The Diamond Black, Bright White, and Granite owners can't say that!!!😎"

But what about Sting-Grey??:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Absolutely, but I have never ordered a car and had a rebate expire before taking delivery even when the advertised date is before the car will be delivered. The nature of the business today is cars don't sell without rebates. Usually when the rebate only applies to cars in stock it means there is a surplus of inventory or it is the previous year model the manufacturer is trying to clear out and you should be able to negotiate a better deal. Another thing to keep in mind if a rebate is tied to the manufacturers financing you usually don't get the best rate but you only have to keep that loan for 3 months before you can refinance for a better rate.

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk 2.0L Turbo Tow Package Flat Towed
10 Posts
Our requirements when we were looking for a new vehicle to replace our cruise ship (GMC Yukon) was four wheel drive for snow and mountain safety, tow package for landscaping needs and the ability to flat tow behind our motorhome. Last fall, there were maybe two Cherokees in the Denver metro area other than Trailhawks with ADII available. The wife liked the look of the TH better, so we played off dealerships to get the best price and trade-in. We got a TH pretty much loaded from a dealer 50 miles away. We had never really went off-road prior to acquiring it. But we find the TH tows 3,000 pounds easily, flat tows behind our motorhome (though you really have to follow the process precisely to keep the battery charged) and goes off road. We attended the Jeep Academy Off Road class at SMORR (Southern Missouri Off-Road Ranch) in April and put the ADII through its paces, using all of the modes - rock, snow, hill descent, etc. Though the cruse ship was luxurious, the TH is much more practical, gets better mileage, and is more fun to drive. We can't wait to go off roading again!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Our requirements when we were looking for a new vehicle to replace our cruise ship (GMC Yukon) was four wheel drive for snow and mountain safety, tow package for landscaping needs and the ability to flat tow behind our motorhome. Last fall, there were maybe two Cherokees in the Denver metro area other than Trailhawks with ADII available. The wife liked the look of the TH better, so we played off dealerships to get the best price and trade-in. We got a TH pretty much loaded from a dealer 50 miles away. We had never really went off-road prior to acquiring it. But we find the TH tows 3,000 pounds easily, flat tows behind our motorhome (though you really have to follow the process precisely to keep the battery charged) and goes off road. We attended the Jeep Academy Off Road class at SMORR (Southern Missouri Off-Road Ranch) in April and put the ADII through its paces, using all of the modes - rock, snow, hill descent, etc. Though the cruse ship was luxurious, the TH is much more practical, gets better mileage, and is more fun to drive. We can't wait to go off roading again!
Great point about battery drain when flat towing, this feature is one of the reason we opted for ad II but the procedure one has to follow to get into this mode is - bizarre, no its well beyond bizarre.

The size of the Cherokee was another plus , perfect on road and perfecter off-Grand Cherokee was just too big-ditto Explorer-Highlander-Sequoia and Land Cruiser. The fact that Jeep uses a real transmission rather than a snowmobile clone AND that you can still get a non direct injection normally aspirated 6 cyl made it a no brainer for us.

·
Registered
790 Posts
When you consider the vast majority of cross-over SUV market does not have off-road capability of any significance, it seems not getting AD2 is more a function of what people perceive their use will be for the vehicle. Those that anticipate using the rig for more than casual off-road would be looking more for a JK or pickup alternative, versus the rest of the buyers who simply were shopping for a new cross-over and liked the KL style and features. Even the posts on this site show that that the folks asking about questions on flat-towing mostly had no idea that there was a difference between AD1 and AD2. They simply liked the KL and later asked questions that perhaps they felt sorry for not asking sooner. Most of us who have AD2 either were looking for expanded off-road or flat tow capability, so we were specifically looking for the AD2.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
Great point about battery drain when flat towing, this feature is one of the reason we opted for ad II but the procedure one has to follow to get into this mode is - bizarre, no its well beyond bizarre.
It's not that complicated!!! Lots of people around here flat tow their Cherokee with great success...😬

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I bought my 2015 AD1 Sport back in 2014, I had just totaled my old car (2004 VW GTI 1.8t) coming home from Reno due to losing control in a sudden snowstorm when I cleared a ridge and ran into a different weather system at 55mph.
I had to suddenly replace my daily driver, and I knew that I wanted something with stability control, and All Wheel Drive.

Of course, I wanted the Trailhawk, or at least AD2, but honestly I did not have that kind of budget.
If there had been a Sport trim with only AD2 added as an option, or maybe AD2 and tow package, I could have made it work, but of course there were no Sport trims to be had with AD2 despite it being an option specifically for 2014 and 2015 model years.
The only AD2 vehicles at the dealerships in my area at the time were Limited trims, all with V6, leather, and a bunch of other features and were in the 38-40k price range.
I was able to get mine for $21600 with a dealer discount, and it had alloy wheels, which was a very much appreciated bonus.

I did spend ~$900 to add factory tow hitch and wiring after the fact though.

The dealer had one Sport AD1 with V6 for $24,600 and maybe I should have gone for it, now having dealt with the anemic power/weight ratio of the 2.4l equipped 4000lb Cherokee for 6+ years, but I decided $3000 was a lot to spend on something I didn't strictly "need"...

Honestly, the 9 speed transmission makes the most out of the poor Tigershark, and it's silent cruising on flat highways at 1.8-2k RPM, so overall I can't complain. Only reason I am, is that there is a +100hp option. Had the V6 not been offered, I'd probably be perfectly content with the Tigershark, which is in theory a really cool and stout little 4 cylinder engine that should last a long time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Here is a question for all-if you have a model with the pano roof but not ad II would you give up the glass for the drive?

·
Registered
A white 2021 Trailhawk named Stormtrooper.
79 Posts
Here is a question for all-if you have a model with the pano roof but not ad II would you give up the glass for the drive?
This is super hypothetical, and depends on the individual preferences of each owner, but since I bought a Trailhawk, nobody should be surprised that I’d take the ADII over the roof. Each person will give a different answer based on their uses and goals for the Jeep.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
759 Posts
Easy one for me, 1st vehicle I ever owned without a opening roof (of any kind, ragtop, sun/moon/pano) Here in the wet south, giving it up was an easy choice. Out west, would have been another story.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
790 Posts
What's a Pano??? A type of Italian bread, or a smallish piano? ;):D

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk 2.0L Turbo Tow Package Flat Towed
10 Posts
The Pano(ramic) Roof is a much larger version of the sun roof. We also have both and as noted the Pano is great out here in the West! It is fun to have it opened and to stand up and watch the Jeep in front do something spectacular while off-roading with the ADII (see how I tied the discussion back to the original intent?).

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
134 Posts
Panoramic sunroof was one of my wife's three must-haves, the others were "Black" color and with High Altitude trim/package. She really wanted everything blacked out, with those dark 19 inch rims, and all the creature comforts of Limited+, High Altitude was basically made for a person like her.

Short of waiting 8+ weeks for a factory order, she understood that we could tell our sales person up to three requirements and anything beyond that was going to be a mess to get a quick turnaround on a dealer trade. So she asked for "A black High Altitude with the pano. sunroof." Bring one hither, and we shall buy. They did, so we did.

She kinda would have liked to have had the additional capabilities of ADII, but honestly ADII would not have even been 4th on her list, 4th on her wish list would have been "Factory Tow Package" (we settled for a home-installed Curt setup), 5th on her wish list would have been "Advanced Technology with Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise", and not till 6th place on the wish list would you find ADII (for her).

This was primarily a car for her. If it were my turn to get the "new" one, my priorities would be different. As of today, I would be flexible on color, but I would insist on the pano sunroof (now that I have seen how great it is). I'd be Trailhawk trim for sure, because those rims and that style is more up my alley. I don't have a justifiable need for AD-Lock or even ADII but I would get justifiable use out of the skid plates and increased approach angle. I'd have to have factory tow package, as I do a lot of light trailering on a regular basis. Ultimately I'd probably land in Trailhawk Elite territory to still have the creature comforts I've come to enjoy in my Limited trim Compass.

I would actively avoid tech like lane keep assist and self-braking if at all possible, though. Until I'm old and slow I will insist on being fully self-responsible for every movement my car makes. As a professional programmer and robotics team coach I have seen enough to know I don't care to even ride in something with self-driving, adaptable cruise, lane keep, none of it. I was grateful that lane keep / adaptive cruise was not high enough on my wife's wish list to make her top 3 requirements. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the tech exists, for other people. The millions of bad drivers on the road are what has brought this era of awful nanny-tech down upon us. I feel better driving around other cars that have this tech, since I believe the tech is better than the average idiot driver these days, I just happen to shamelessly believe that I am not dumb enough or old enough to benefit personally from that tech yet. I still believe I can do consistently better at driving than a computer, and I accept the responsibility to do so. I don't trust the tech as far as I can throw it, therefor I'm incapable of synergizing with it (at this time). I'm not willing to get lazy about keeping the car centered in the lane myself. For someone like my elderly grandmother with degenerative eye disease, however, I feel great about the idea of assistive tech helping her get safely to the store and back and retain her independence. Its just not for me (yet).

·
Registered
790 Posts
I was joking about the Pano thing. Yes, I am aware of it, but like others, I have had moon roofs and even a JK and the reality is.....rarely if ever used them. So I was not shopping for the Pano roof, nor am I missing it. In my mind (not based on fact or truth) I was a bit concerned that the Pano roof would take away from structural integrity.....at least that is what I convinced myself of.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts