2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I will disagree and post the the TH does not have a little more but most probably significantly more capability its just a matter of who will ever use it-we can get in plenty enough trouble with ad II.

If we did not have to invest in the 'brass' market who knows-we very well may have ended up with one of each.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I paid 27.5k for my 2017 trailhawk in december 2016 v6, cold pkg, nav, electronic mirror, black wheels.(11k off)
28,500 for my 2019 trailhawk in june 2018 2.0T,with cold weather pkg,Nav, convenience package (10k off)

Disclaimer: numbers from memory might be a little off.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
es me the V
The Upland is a cosmetic platform only there is nothing mechanical from a TH or ADII in an upland model.

It has Active Drive 1 and therefore doesn't get trailhawk suspension. It doesn't have skidplates. It has bumpers and tow hooks

The complexity of ADII doesn't make it less reliable all models sometimes have issues, if the model fits your needs that's fine but you can't downplay the upper models because you don't have one. ADII (low range) is a HUGE difference when it comes to offroad situations. I say this because even ADII and trailhawk models function exactly Active Drive 1 vehicles from a drivetrain perspective until you put it in to 4-low. I don't wheel hard but there are lots of times when low range is needed.

The cost to replace PTU's and transmissions does not vary drastically between ADI and ADII.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The least expensive TH was just over $4500 more and really it had things which we both have absolutely no need or desire for.

I would be interested in knowing just how well the model sells-anyone?
I don't believe Jeep regularly releases sales figures by trim level. I'm sure that buyer preferences vary by region; my guess is that the Cherokee Trailhawk enjoys its best sales in the west, particularly in mountainous and/or desert areas. There are actually some parts of the country (e.g., Florida, Southern California), where FWD Cherokees sell better than the 4x4's, so obviously Trailhawks won't do well there.

One thing you can do to estimate popularity by trim is to look at dealer inventories. You can't buy what's not available, and most buyers do not special-order. I live in the northeast, with snowy winters and lots of hilly and mountainous terrain, so there are hordes of Jeeps on the roads, almost all of them 4x4's. I see the occasional Cherokee Trailhawk, but they're greatly outnumbered by other trims. Inventory levels in general are low these days, due to production problems, but my Jeep dealer currently has 24 new Cherokees in stock; three are Trailhawks. Another dealer in the area has 10 Cherokees, with 0 Trailhawks. A third dealer has 13 Cherokees, with 0 Trailhawks. Finally, a very large, multi-site Jeep dealer has a whopping 87 Cherokees in stock, with six Trailhawks.

So, that's nine Trailhawks available out of 134 Cherokees. Less than 7% of inventory in this area.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
There is less than $1000 CDN price difference MSRP between a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and a Active Drive 1 Altitude model.......

At that pricing unless you didn't like the look of a TH i'm not sure what reason there would be not to buy it

·
Registered
859 Posts
There is less than $1000 CDN price difference MSRP between a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and a Active Drive 1 Altitude model.......

At that pricing unless you didn't like the look of a TH i'm not sure what reason there would be not to buy it
TH is the only way to go....plus it looks better than ones with painted bumpers...

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is less than $1000 CDN price difference MSRP between a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and a Active Drive 1 Altitude model
Interestingly, the Canadian Altitude is really different from the U.S. Altitude. Here, the Altitude is essentially a blackout and wheel package for the Latitude Plus. It has the 2.4L engine, cloth seats, and the 7-in. Uconnect screen. But black badges and grille trim! The Canadian Altitude is like the American Latitude Lux, with the V6 and leather (8.4-in. display optional).

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
my Jeep dealer currently has 24 new Cherokees in stock
My Jeep dealer has two high optioned JLU Rubi's, and one Gladiator, and a big empty lot. There's maybe ten or twelve preowned mishmash of which none are Jeeps on a lot that's normally 80-100 vehicles...😎

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I got my 2014 limited used in 2016 there were not many AD2's within my price range or they had very high miles. Being in the south and forest roads and light snow ad1 is more than capable. I am actually glad I got ad1 now seeing even how complex the ad1 system is ad2 is even more complex with more to fail such as the failure to engage low range folks report often and the weak splines that can shear off causing loss of power. Sometimes simpler is better. My next vehicle will be something more basic for sure. The Cherokee is more complex than its own good and expensive to repair.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
When I got my 2014 limited used in 2016 there were not many AD2's within my price range or they had very high miles. Being in the south and forest roads and light snow ad1 is more than capable. I am actually glad I got ad1 now seeing even how complex the ad1 system is ad2 is even more complex with more to fail such as the failure to engage low range folks report often and the weak splines that can shear off causing loss of power. Sometimes simpler is better. My next vehicle will be something more basic for sure. The Cherokee is more complex than its own good and expensive to repair.
The ADII system does not fail any more than the ADI system and parts to replace components are not any more expensive, I get it though most people try to justify what they have is the "better" option because they didn't buy the superior drivetrain

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is picking the features you want really a thing? I've never had that experience at any dealership. Yes, that's how I always envisioned it before I bought my first new vehicle. I envisioned going in, picking the options I want, and they order it from the factory. But no. They always give me the first available car they have and don't let me choose any options (or at least don't tell me I have options).

For example the 2021 Cherokee Limited I got, I told the salesman I wanted a limited in Green Pearlcoat. They didn't have any and said they had to trade one from another dealership. A week later they said they found one, and I bought it. my chances were already bad trying to get one in the color I wanted, let alone one with the exact features I wanted.

I only learned after I bought it that there's a Lux package with ventilated seats, GPS, and Hands free liftgate, which, I would have liked to have. Certainly didn't know AD2 was an option, though I heard of it, I thought it was a trailhawk thing and didn't know you could get it on the limited.

As far as why I didn't get the trailhawk, well because if I was going to do hardcore off roading, I would have got a wrangler. I suppose AD1 will be sufficient for my needs, though I would have liked to have AD2 just in case. Oh well.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
Is picking the features you want really a thing? I've never had that experience at any dealership. Yes, that's how I always envisioned it before I bought my first new vehicle. I envisioned going in, picking the options I want, and they order it from the factory. But no. They always give me the first available car they have and don't let me choose any options (or at least don't tell me I have options).

For example the 2021 Cherokee Limited I got, I told the salesman I wanted a limited in Green Pearlcoat. They didn't have any and said they had to trade one from another dealership. A week later they said they found one, and I bought it. my chances were already bad trying to get one in the color I wanted, let alone one with the exact features I wanted.

I only learned after I bought it that there's a Lux package with ventilated seats, GPS, and Hands free liftgate, which, I would have liked to have. Certainly didn't know AD2 was an option, though I heard of it, I thought it was a trailhawk thing and didn't know you could get it on the limited.

As far as why I didn't get the trailhawk, well because if I was going to do hardcore off roading, I would have got a wrangler. I suppose AD1 will be sufficient for my needs, though I would have liked to have AD2 just in case. Oh well.
I hate when that happens, but hey, welcome to the OG club. There's like you, me and like two other people that have that color!!! The Diamond Black, Bright White, and Granite owners can't say that!!!😎

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Active Drive II gives the owner the off road suspension which includes a 1" lift-a true low range, hill descent and the ability to put the vehicle in flat tow-if one is able to follow the complicated procedure.

The size of the ad II community is quite small, from our experience about 4% of the vehicles we see have this transforming option. Am curious as to why those who have purchased a Cherokee did not opt for the ad II, cost-availability-unaware or didn't care?
I would guess that most buy off the lot. This can include dealer searches for specific options that other dealers might have.
Not sure if many would consider AD2 a everyday option like leather seats, sun roof, upgraded sound ect.
Its also an expensive option to say the least. The 2021 its $1195 for AD2 plus $695 for 19" wheels! AD2 requires the 19" wheels.
I would further guess that many dealers do not order it as to the increase in sticker price it would cause. The other options valued at $1900( the AD2 package value) that are more desirable to the buying public.

Now from my perspective, I have had AD2 on my prior 2014 Cherokee, my 2004 Grand Cherokee SE, and 2001 Cherokee Sport (off road package).
My new 2021 Cherokee Limited has it also. Shopping for this 2021 there were more AD2's out there this time around. In fact the dealer I looked at had several Latitude plus's with that option.
The dealer found my Limited with my options hundreds of miles away though, because of the AD2 and Tow package.

It is still a not very common every day option. I still go back to the cost vs everyday options. When you start getting into the 40+ range for a Cherokee it drops out a lot of the prospective market buyers.
That is assuming you also want other options like leather and heated seats ect also.
My 2014 Limited was factory ordered because of the AD2 issue, but also the Tow group availability issue not being available on the lots.
I would further say Tow group is in the same boat as AD2 for availability. Its hard to find specially if you are looking for specific options in addition.

I do as you do, see the value in AD2. Most do not see that value in the least, sad to say.
Actually my need for it is not common buy the need is there occasionally. My 2021 got its workout all ready when I had to make a U-Turn on a narrow country road that was blocked off.
I landed up going mostly off the road into a corn field to make the turn. A regular Cherokee would likely have bottomed out or at a minimum scraped the front bumper into the mud/dirt.

Reactions: activedriveII

·
Registered
27 Posts
The ADII system does not fail any more than the ADI system and parts to replace components are not any more expensive, I get it though most people try to justify what they have is the "better" option because they didn't buy the superior drivetrain
It is only superior if you intend to use it, otherwise it is just different and more costly.

I have owned 3 4x4 pickups over the past 25 years and all of them have been used extensively on the beach. Other than trying out low range to confirm it works I never have had an occasion to have a need for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Picking features is absolutely a thing. Over the past 45 years of buying new cars about 75% of them were factory orders optioned exactly the way I wanted them. It takes about 8 weeks (shortest for me was 6 weeks) to order and take delivery. In the past few years the dealer has searched other dealer inventory and gotten me what I want a few times. It is seldom that I will buy what they have in stock. The 2021 80th Anniversary Edition we just got is one of those rare occasions where we got it off the lot. This Cherokee checked all the boxes but one for my wife, it doesn't have factory nav but she was willing to give Carplay a go. They biggy for her was the color, Spitfire Orange, you seldom see a bright in your face color like that on the dealer lot.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Picking features is absolutely a thing. Over the past 45 years of buying new cars about 75% of them were factory orders optioned exactly the way I wanted them. It takes about 8 weeks (shortest for me was 6 weeks) to order and take delivery.
As long as the buyer is patient, a factory order (at least for American cars) is the best way to ensure that the car precisely matches the buyer's wish list. However, there's one potential caveat: You should confirm that any available incentives, such as rebates, will apply to your transaction. This is especially important for manufacturers like Jeep that jack up the MSRP and then go heavy on the rebates. Sometimes there are "must take delivery from dealer stock" restrictions, meaning that the incentives might not apply to a factory order. Or, it might be a simple question of timing. If the incentives will expire between the time you place the order and the time the car arrives and the sale is closed, make sure you know whether you'll get the benefits or not. You can agree to any deal that's satisfactory to you, but there shouldn't be any ambiguity about whether that $4k of Chrysler cash on the table will be available to you or not.

Reactions: tcballinger
21 - 40 of 146 Posts