2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Active Drive II gives the owner the off road suspension which includes a 1" lift-a true low range, hill descent and the ability to put the vehicle in flat tow-if one is able to follow the complicated procedure.

The size of the ad II community is quite small, from our experience about 4% of the vehicles we see have this transforming option. Am curious as to why those who have purchased a Cherokee did not opt for the ad II, cost-availability-unaware or didn't care?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The size of the ad II community is quite small, from our experience about 4% of the vehicles we see have this transforming option.
Why does this sound like a commercial? At any rate, I would assume that there are quite a few KL owners that never plan to go offroad with their Cherokees, thus ADII is an unnecessary expense for them. Personally, I wouldn't have given the Cherokee a second glance if it wasn't for the Trailhawk, but to each their own.

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Latitude Plus
27 Posts
in my area, to get the ADII i had to get a vehicle with the v6, which is fine but also that meant 7k more in price. I paid 27k for my 2021 Lattitude plus. the cheapest option with ADII was 34k.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why does this sound like a commercial? At any rate, I would assume that there are quite a few KL owners that never plan to go offroad with their Cherokees, thus ADII is an unnecessary expense for them. Personally, I wouldn't have given the Cherokee a second glance if it wasn't for the Trailhawk, but to each their own.
are you going to put a red catch can under the hood to go with the red hooks maybe red stitching also ?

The Cherokee with the 3.2 and ad II is far more than 98% of us will ever need.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in my area, to get the ADII i had to get a vehicle with the v6, which is fine but also that meant 7k more in price. I paid 27k for my 2021 Lattitude plus. the cheapest option with ADII was 34k.
we were able to find two Cherokees with the v6- and really the sensible/practical options; V6- adII and just trailer tow and conv pkgs for quite a bit south of what you found off the lot In fact I think the ad II was just about $200 less than the pano roof which makes absolutely no sense to -us - for a vehicle which will be used for even only soft roading.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Active Drive II gives the owner the off road suspension which includes a 1" lift-a true low range, hill descent and the ability to put the vehicle in flat tow-if one is able to follow the complicated procedure.

The size of the ad II community is quite small, from our experience about 4% of the vehicles we see have this transforming option. Am curious as to why those who have purchased a Cherokee did not opt for the ad II, cost-availability-unaware or didn't care?
I had a 2014 Trailhawk.

The most off road use it saw was to drive on gravel as I pulled it into indoor storage during the summer.

In 2020, I decided to purchase a Cherokee and there were no Trailhawks available and since I never used the off road capability before I decided on a Limited.

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
134 Posts
We are one of those families who knowingly bought an AD1 Cherokee (last year).

We basically knew ourselves and our use cases well enough to understand that we would not get significant use out of the AD2 system for the extra cost. We were already maxing out our comfortable budget and we simply prioritized the creature comforts and other features over the extra off-road goodies. We also knew from experience that an AD1-esque system was plenty adequate for our needs since we'd had our Compass for 3 years at that point, not exactly and apple-to-orange but the Compass proved to be a fiercely capable winter/bad weather machine despite the lack of low range and diff lock, and it had taken us down many fun forest roads and gravel trails with ease, pulled our boat and utility trailers no problem.. We were getting all that and more with a V6 AD1 Cherokee, so basically the rest of our budget went to getting the comfort items in the High Altitude package knowing that was stuff we would get much more use and enjoyment out of.

Just like how the Subarus and similar AWD vehicles get around better than you expect and pop on trails you wouldn't maybe plan to see them, the AD1 Cherokees are highly capable and what it boils down to is that for 99% of people you rarely actually need the locking diff or the low range. Its fun stuff to have, but not really that useful depending on where you live and what the roads and trails are like. I had an S10 Blazer for about 10 years... never used the low range of the transfer case once, and I did go mudding and had all sorts of fun with it. There's really no rocks to crawl around this part of the country.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Personally, we did not need the extra capability of Active Drive II. But more broadly, I think that most Cherokee buyers interested in that capability will just go all the way and buy the Trailhawk trim. ADII provides many, but not all, the features of a Trailhawk, so while maybe it's a nice compromise for a small segment of buyers right in the middle, probably most of us are in one of the two bigger camps.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
759 Posts
I got AD II because I am used to having a low range available in case I need it. But to each his own, just like why many Cherokees are Front Wheel Drive (and why many of their owners are totally happy with their choice)...

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee 80th Anv 3.2 V6 AD1
30 Posts

I was looking at a Latitude + witth AD2 and a 80th Anv with AD1, I do not do any real off road, venture off into the desert and thats about it. The 80th anv was about $700 more but came with so many more options (panoramic sunroof, 19" rims, tow pkg, power liftgate, dual power seats, leather interior) that I cared about. Did significant research before pulling the trigger and happy with my choice. I added a HS 1 1/2 to it already, when the tires wear down I will go to a size higher, good enough for how I drive it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I like ADII because it's kinda like having a tire jack - you don't need it until you do. If I'm venturing into the unknown, I like the peace of mind it brings knowing I can low-range and locker out of most trouble.

I've used it much more than my wife would like. :)

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
ADII is rare, not many were produced and when you factor in the price of the ADII option getting a TH sometimes was the better deal for basically no extra money.
When I got my 2014 ADII my friend bought a 2014 TH and it actually cost less money. I ended up with the ADII 2014 because it was the first Cherokee KL to end up at the dealer back in the fall of 2013 didn't want to wait for a special order so got the ADII. Again its a rare option and not many are made in comparison to other models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like ADII because it's kinda like having a tire jack - you don't need it until you do. If I'm venturing into the unknown, I like the peace of mind it brings knowing I can low-range and locker out of most trouble.

I've used it much more than my wife would like. :)
I might be confused here, but I think our Trailhawks actually have what Jeep calls Active Drive Lock, which adds the rear locker and Rock mode. Regular ADII is missing those. It just has the other modes and 4 low.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We were not aware of ad II when we first started looking but it sounds as though many/most were.

The least expensive TH was just over $4500 more and really it had things which we both have absolutely no need or desire for.

I would be interested in knowing just how well the model sells-anyone?

·
Registered
10 Posts

I purchased a 2020 Cherokee Upland, which is basically a Trailhawk platform with AD1. It gives me the V6, TH suspension, tow hooks, 245/65/17 Firestone Destination tires, but with the AWD capability that meets my actual needs. I've spoken with some other AD1 owners and watched a lot of videos and AD1 is quite capable for moderate wheeling but without the complexity of AD2Lock...ie AD1 less expensive to fix if it breaks. It's gotten me through 10" snow storms this spring without a hiccup, and some moderate wheeling in the Shawnee National Forest without any fear of getting stuck. As such, a good choice for me as I'm not a hard-core rock crawler, but do enjoy an occasional off road foray.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts