2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on placing an order for a Gobi stealth rack very soon and wanted some clarification on a few things beforehand. Overall I didn't get clear answers to my most important questions so I still have concerns about installing this rack. Here is what I learned:

Are the load ratings (static and dynamic) for the rack itself or with the rack attached to the vehicle?
- support says that it is for the rack attached to the vehicle, but I didn't get a very warm and fuzzy vibe from her answer. Still sort of a grey area if you ask me.

were the load ratings independently certified?
- support didn't know the answer so I think I am safe assuming they are not independently certified.

Can you attach an awning and a roof top tent to the rack at the same time?
- yes you can but not all combinations will fit together

Does Gobi provide a warranty for damage to your vehicle due to weight that is within the load rating they state the rack can take?
- support didn't know the answer to this so I think I am safe assuming you get no warranty for this and Gobi is not going to pay for any damage to your vehicle from using the rack, even if you were using the rack properly. However she said that if there was an issue that I should contact them and get management involved.

Do the standard cross bars work for a roof top tent?
- support says yes they should work but sometimes the wider bars are needed for some tents. She said the wider bars mainly are best for thule boxes because of how they want to be attached, and also for people who want to carry more stuff like canoes and many bikes. Still sort of a grey area but I think I will go with the standard bars

Can I run a multi-light setup with the 40" light bar version of the rack?
- support says I should not do that because the extra supports keep the light mounting platform from flexing too much. They recommended to get the multi-light version which can still accommodate a 40" light bar except it would need to stick out more since it would go in front of the extra front supports. I can't decide which way to go. I think the light bar looks cooler but the multi lights are more practical.

The website doesn't allow you to order a panoramic sunroof option where all the basket mesh is removable?
- support was not aware of this and said it should be supported. I got the same response (it should be supported) from their director of marketing so it is probably a website issue. She was going to talk to somebody about it. For now she said I can make my order and Gobi follows up with each order anyway to confirm all the options are what you want. The price will probably be different than what is stated online though. The regular stealth rack kit is up to $1695 USD online (without the front sunroof plate). I saw that the WK2 had the option and it costs $2095 USD (also without the front sunroof plate, sold separately).

As of right now the decisions I still need to make are:

• front riser or no front riser? The only reason I see for the riser may be to help fit lights in front, especially the light bar but if you get the multi-light setup with 40" light bar the riser is probably useless.
  • multi-light or light-bar setup in front?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The real decision is, can you wait a year to get it.
Yeah no problem. I am about a month late ordering it though. I think they said lead time was like 30 weeks ish

·
Registered
83 Posts
Might try to get some answers to those questions from rack owners with awnings and tents etc.... I have the stealth rack on my 2019, but have no plans for any tent or awnings up there, just extra fuel, traction boards, and myself for the extra height in some landscape photography situations. I think their load ratings are closely drawn from the Cherokee manual. The rack is 70lbs if I remember correctly.

I would look into the 4Runner forums and maybe the ubiquitous Wrangler community for some real-world user insight into these questions. They seem to be Gobi's most common customer and should prove more valuable than the perhaps cautious Gobi support. The structural design of the stealth rack seems close enough to at least make an educated guess for the Cherokee.

I love this rack. It's one of the best designed things I have ever purchased and used.

Best piece of advice that I missed from rack owners was to wire the lighting before installing the rack.

Reactions: Flechtight

·
Registered
298 Posts
The load the KL ROOF can take is 150 lbs , nothing will change that
150 lbs. that seems very light. I climb around on mine 200 lbs with accessories and no flex. The Gobi feet are 11.5”x4” 46 sq inches per mounting foot. Much more load spreading than than the factory. They are also at the strongest part of the roof line.
i would not be afraid of mounting a roof tent of reasonable size with the awning.
But that is me, more of a risk taker.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
646 Posts
150 lbs. that seems very light. I climb around on mine 200 lbs with accessories and no flex. The Gobi feet are 11.5”x4” 46 sq inches per mounting foot. Much more load spreading than than the factory. They are also at the strongest part of the roof line.
i would not be afraid of mounting a roof tent of reasonable size with the awning.
But that is me, more of a risk taker.
My mistake it was the load the factory roof rails can support😎

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While your waiting , figure out how your going to get the power up to the rack for the lights. I choose the grommet in the lift gate area since I do not have a power lift gate.
The wires run up into the rack in one of many plugged holes provided by Gobi View attachment 217048
View attachment 217047
Yes I need to figure out how to run wiring up there. I also have solar panels that I am mounting to the rack.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I think I am going to get the multi light setup. There should be enough room between the crossmembers that I could still put a mini light bar in there (10-12 inch) and then do positional lights on the side. I still am dubious about their claim that the crossmembers are needed for stability. Wouldn't a large 40 inch lightbar be worse for stability?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI: gobi racks currently ON SALE

I just ordered mine, stealth rack with support for 40" light bar, pano sunroof option, front riser, and regular crossbars (I will be talking with Gobi about panoramic sunroof support as well but that will probably be an extra cost).

I decided on the 40" light bar version because based on today's LED lights, I don't need to worry about the front plate flexing since the lights are pretty light these days. And in the future I could always add a support bracket easily.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I just ordered mine, stealth rack with support for 40" light bar, pano sunroof option, front riser, and regular crossbars (I will be talking with Gobi about panoramic sunroof support as well but that will probably be an extra cost).

I decided on the 40" light bar version because based on today's LED lights, I don't need to worry about the front plate flexing since the lights are pretty light these days. And in the future I could always add a support bracket easily.
I was checking out sliders at Frog Fab and noticed that he states the price of steel has tripled etc...
So I checked Gobi just out of curiosity to see if their prices went up... only to see the sale! It's great timing for you!
I'm excited for anyone to experience that rack on a KL! Worth all the time and all the $$.
FYI I have the shovel/axe mounts and the rachet mount / delta hook setups from Gobi. Let me know if there are any questions about those.

·
Registered
119 Posts

That's awesome! I can only hope they'll have a sale going next spring when i have a little more spending money to drop on a rack.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Roof Rack order confirmed! Total cost: $2225.50
Cost breakdown:

• main rack: $1695.00
  • KL panoramic sunroof custom option: $250
  • KL sunroof insert (x2 because of panoramic sunroof option): $500
  • ladder: free
  • black friday 10% discount: $219.50
  • wind deflector: free
  • shipping: fedex ground free
  • 2x crossbars: free
  • no tax

I personally think the extra $250 for a second panoramic sunroof insert is sort of BS since I am already paying $250 for a panoramic sunroof option, but I have no choice in the matter. At least the black friday sale mostly offsets that extra fee.

Also if you cancel your order after confirmation there is a nonrefundable $500 fee so no going back now! I still have a few questions and this time (now that I have confirmed order) they are putting me in contact with the actual lead engineer/fabricator to hash out any dimensions/details.

Lead time was 16-20 weeks so that puts me sometime between mid march and mid april 2022.

·
Registered
134 Posts
  • KL sunroof insert (x2 because of panoramic sunroof option): $500

Also if you cancel your order after confirmation there is a nonrefundable $500 fee
I think you only need one sunroof insert. Maybe someone that owns one can confirm.

My purchase order says not billed until shipped.

Interesting they're promising an even shorter production time now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think you only need one sunroof insert. Maybe someone that owns one can confirm.

My purchase order says not billed until shipped.

Interesting they're promising an even shorter production time now.
I think what they mean with the custom panoramic sunroof option is they have the whole bottom removable, rather than just the front section as is normally the case. So, they need two inserts, for the front and back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts