2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its my first post on here so be nice... :) I have a 2017 AD1 with about 87K miles and I just put the Hazard Sky 2" leveling kit under her this weekend. It wasn't too much hassle and I managed it in a days worth of effort. I also installed the rear wheel centering kit on the back because the plan is to put some slightly larger tires on her. But.... I'm not sure if the "centering kit" does anything... because my rear tires are pretty close to the front of the fender well and i'm starting to doubt i'll be able to put the tires i want under her without other modifications. I don't want to do other modifications...

Currently i'm running stock 225/65/17 and there is a place where if i'm rubbing my hand along the tire, the back of my hand rubs the inside wheel well. I want to put a set of 245/70/17s under me.

I guess my questions are

A. did I do something wrong on the centering kit install?

B: Do you all think i'll be able to fit the 245/70/17s? I'm shooting for drama free operation.

Thanks in advance.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Its my first post on here so be nice... :) I have a 2017 AD1 with about 87K miles and I just put the Hazard Sky 2" leveling kit under her this weekend. It wasn't too much hassle and I managed it in a days worth of effort. I also installed the rear wheel centering kit on the back because the plan is to put some slightly larger tires on her. But.... I'm not sure if the "centering kit" does anything... because my rear tires are pretty close to the front of the fender well and i'm starting to doubt i'll be able to put the tires i want under her without other modifications. I don't want to do other modifications...

Currently i'm running stock 225/65/17 and there is a place where if i'm rubbing my hand along the tire, the back of my hand rubs the inside wheel well. I want to put a set of 245/70/17s under me.

I guess my questions are

B: Do you all think i'll be able to fit the 245/70/17s? I'm shooting for drama free operation.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 214744 View attachment 214746
It looks about normal to me. The only thing you might have a problem with fitting 245/70's is the offset of your wheels, which is +42. Trailhawk wheels are around +32 which gives you that extra 10mm of INSIDE clearance. Pretty sure 245/65's fit without any inside rubs on ADI, and stock Lat/Sport wheels...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks about normal to me. The only thing you might have a problem with fitting 245/70's is the offset of your wheels, which is +42. Trailhawk wheels are around +32 which gives you that extra 10mm of INSIDE clearance. Pretty sure 245/65's fit without any inside rubs on ADI, and stock Lat/Sport wheels...馃槑
Thanks! It makes me feel better about the install that someone on this forum thinks it looks right. You guys seem to really be on top of everything Cherokee! I'll reconsider my tire choice given your suggestion. I guess i'd need to do some grinding and forming to fit a larger one? Is there any way to fully center the tire backwards in the wheel well?

Registered
I vaguely recall a Post where somebody stacked more washers for the centering kit?
I don't know anything about it so somebody needs to clarify this.

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
I did not have to do any altering of the vehicle using 265/65 tires and a 1-1/2" lift. I thought the only modifications would be the front wheel wells and that would entail the liners and the pinch weld but only for a taller profile tire.

Registered
I did not have to do any altering of the vehicle using 265/65 tires and a 1-1/2" lift. I thought the only modifications would be the front wheel wells and that would entail the liners and the pinch weld but only for a taller profile tire.
His is ADI with +40 offset Lat wheels...馃槑

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Yeah one guy with a 2.5 inch lift stacked washers, but it is my understanding from other posts I have read on here that the non TH trailing arms aren't affected as much by the rear wheel centering kit. Meaning it doesn't help as much. That being said it shouldn't cause any issues it just may affect the more ocd among us that it isn't perfectly centered when sitting level.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
And yes the 245/70 should fit because as the rear suspension compresses in the wheel actually moves back due to the arc the trailing arm moves at. The only time it will move further forward is when there is little to no weight on that tire. Which should not cause an issue. I have 265/65 r17 on my TH and when I'm sitting level like that I only have about and inch to inch and a half in front of the rear tire but I have since been off road and had zero issue with the tires. No rubs at all in the back.

Reactions: Leems

Registered
I just thought though the only thing I can't comment on is the non TH rims with the different offset so I'm not positive about any inside rub with those rims up front. I probably wouldn't risk any wider than 245 on those rims...

Reactions: Leems

Registered
Sorry, I just don't have the patience tonight...馃槷馃

Registered

I guess my questions are

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 214744 View attachment 214746
I鈥檓 running 255x70x17 with no rubbing what so ever, I have cut a lot of plastic away, but only plastic , and I go off road a lot no troubles yet? Happy Jeeping 馃槂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts