2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The humidity sensor in my Cherokee has detached from the windshield. Or at least, based on searching this forum, I'm pretty sure its the humidity sensor. Small black box just to the driver's side of the rearview mirror. The whole thing came off, not just the cover, like shown in this thread:

Not sure if it just dropped off on its own, or maybe the guys at the carwash got a little aggressive cleaning the windshield. I am still under warranty, so I guess could go back to the dealership, but would rather avoid that hassle if possible.

Any suggestions for how to re-mount the sensor? I'm guessing a double sided tape of some sort, but not sure what would be best. I'm in Maryland, so will see everything from outside temperatures around 100F (so interior temps of 140+), down to single digits.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, thankfully under warranty....
There is not approved way to re-mount the sensor. No kidding! I ended up getting a brand new replacement windshield.

I found it hard to believe, but FCA approved the replacement as there was no approved way to replace the sensor.

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Refer to this: Does my vehicle have a Humidity Sensor or Rain Sensor? - Windshield Edmonton
My guess is the humidity sensor has to actually touch the surface of the glass.
Maybe Gorilla tape over the sensor and then stuck to the glass would hold it in place good enough to work?
I just looked at the sensor on my 2014 TH. The sensor is on the passenger side of the rear view mirror.
If it is a humidity sensor then it does not need to be attached to the windshield in any particular way.
Your sensor is on the driver's side, maybe that is a rain sensor, if so then it is probably part of the windshield and can not be reattached.
I don't have a sensor on the drivers side. I did not get the Technology package so that may be why.
Mopar Online Parts: 2014-2018 Jeep Cherokee Shipping Assembly - 30 Lite Glass Windshield 68272881AD | Direct Mopar Parts
Item 2 is on the passenger side, probably the humidity sensor and it is part of the windshield.
This is the part number for my windshield and I do not have a rain sensor.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,317 Posts
An auto glass shop should be able to give you suggestions...
Perhaps the same type of adhesive used to mount mirror tabs... :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,087 Posts
I had my windshield replaced in my driveway, there was no humidity sensor attached to the new windshield. The tech reused my original one so there HAS to be some way to reattach it. Call SafeLite, maybe they will tell you, or even do it cheaply…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just glued on, it ain't rocket science. I'm pretty sure any reputable auto glass shop can fix it in under 5 minutes...😎
Well, my thinking is that, if it works like most sensors for rain-sensing wipers, it's sensing by projecting light and measuring the reflections - so the adhesive layer would potentially affect sensing performance. Not rocket science, but still science.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,317 Posts
Well, my thinking is that, if it works like most sensors for rain-sensing wipers, it's sensing by projecting light and measuring the reflections - so the adhesive layer would potentially affect sensing performance. Not rocket science, but still science.
And an Auto Glass Shop would know that science... :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,314 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I'm going to be making a trip to the dealer. This is actually a company provided car, and they require oil changes every 5k miles. Will post an update with the dealer fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts