2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is all the info you need to tune your Cherokee

Required Items:

1. HP Tuners MPVI2 Module + 2 Credits (Each vehicle you tune requires 2 credits)
https://www.hptuners.com/product/mpvi2/#component_1513038398

If you have a 2018+ Cherokee you will also require a special cable as the PCM's are locked down even more and can't be read without it.
https://www.hptuners.com/product/dodge-2018-smart-access-cable/

2. 2015+ Model Year vehicles will require a spare PCM (2014 Vehicles can skip this step) This Ebay store is a great place to find a spare PCM. Make sure its the same model year and engine as your vehicle. In my case I got a PCM out of a 2016 Cherokee V6 Limited that was FWD but it worked fine.

http://www.ebaystores.com/LKQonline

3. Send your spare PCM (Or your factory one however that isn't always feasible since your vehicle is not drive-able without a PCM) to HP tuners for unlocking

https://www.hptuners.com/product/pcm-modification-service/

4. Choose a company who is willing to tune Pentastar Engines. In my case I chose www.Player3.ca as they are somewhat local to me.

5. Windows Laptop

Once you have the HP Tuners module you can get a read of your stock tune & do data logging with the included software. One thing to note is you do NOT require an unlocked PCM to READ your stock tune file OR do datalogging. The MPVI2 module is also a very good OBDII reader so if you don't want to tune you can just use it as a code reader.

Reading the tuning file is simple. Plug the scanner into the OBDII port and a usb port on your laptop

Put the vehicle to RUN (Do not start it) Connect the computer (and HP Tuners module to the computer) and fire up VCM Editor and read the stock tuning file. This process takes approximately 15 minutes. During this time you will hear some dinging and lots of error messages on the Evic (service park brake, service airbag ect) THIS IS NORMAL. Once done follow the on screen prompts which tells you to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds then back to RUN (without starting) and then ignition off and you are done.

Data logging or code reading is also easy.

Put the vehicle to RUN (Do not start it) Connect the computer (and HP Tuners module to the computer) fire up VCM Scanner. CONNECT to the vehicle. Once that is done start the vehicle and hit RECORD (Red button) you can log as much and as long as you want. Once done you can save the file.

When you have the stock read and data logs for your vehicle you can either tune the vehicle yourself (If you have the knowledge, it is rather complicated) or send the files away to be analysed by a reputable tuner.

Writing the tuned file is very similar to reading it.

Put the vehicle to RUN (Do not start it) Connect the computer (and HP Tuners module to the computer) and fire up VCM Editor and write the tuning file. This process takes approximately 1 minute. During this time you will hear some dinging and lots of error messages on the Evic (service park brake, service airbag ect) THIS IS NORMAL. Once done follow the on screen prompts which tells you to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds then back to RUN (without starting) and then ignition off and you are done. Once done follow the on screen prompts which tells you to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds then back to RUN (without starting) and then ignition off and you are done.

After loading the tuned file, follow the above instructions to data log and provide that info to the person who tuned your vehicle.

This is a bit of a long process but the gains are noticeable. Is this for everyone, absolutely not. If you have a 2014 the cost to do so is less but in any case you will require an HP Tuners MPVI2 or access to one which some companies may lend/rent out.

Tuning a stock Cherokee will absolutely get you gains, any other mods you have (Air intake) just complement the tune and the tune can be custom written to take better advantage of those mods.

This was an adventure and a rather expensive proof of concept but should anyone want to tune their Cherokee I would be glad to help them out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wow Tyler, you've done an outstanding job with this, and provided a real service to JCC and to KL owners. Let me be the first to THANK YOU for all your hard work!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tuning a stock Cherokee will absolutely get you gains said:
I am considering buying this kit and credits, what sort of gain are we talking about. I have 2 problems with my Cherokee 2014 3.2, one is low rpm performance which is pretty bad up to 2k RPM, the other one is annoying problem with transmission especially when moving from 2nd to 3rd gear where it jumps a bit. Do you think with this kit I could improve any of those?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks a lot Tyler, this is an idiot proof guide

As you know from previous posts I have a 2014 TH...
Do I need to buy MPVI2 with Pro Features and link?
Or just MPVI2 + 2 Credits will suffice?

Thanks again

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Tyler,

For my 2014 TH...

Do I need the Pro Feature with Pro Link?

or just the MPVI2 + 2 Credits?

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would buy it for this as well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Can you get 9th gear to kick in ? wouldn't mind having it so I can save some $ on gas

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you want 9th, just use AutoStick. But in fact you probably won’t see much if any difference - almost every time I engage 9th at under 80 mph I either see no change in mpg or it drops slightly.

Believe me, if FCA could get better mileage by using 9th more often, they would. They were fined $77,000,000 a few years ago for not meeting CAFE limits.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine has went into 9th maybe 5 times since 2014 , going down a few hills in Tennessee .

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This thread is for tuning the PCM, not the TCM (separate thread) if you don't have autostick then the vehicle isn't going to go into 9th unless parameter are met, mainly being efficiency. Also remember, his 0.58 and 9th is 0.48 its not even a huge difference so does the difference of 150rpm really mean much? People get so wrapped up in it when in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. I could get 30mpg out of both of my cherokees only using 8th gear.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This thread is for tuning the PCM, not the TCM (separate thread) if you don't have autostick then the vehicle isn't going to go into 9th unless parameter are met, mainly being efficiency. Also remember, his 0.58 and 9th is 0.48 its not even a huge difference so does the difference of 150rpm really mean much? People get so wrapped up in it when in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. I could get 30mpg out of both of my cherokees only using 8th gear.
I guess my only question would be , why did Chrysler make the 9 speed if the 9th gear makes no difference ?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
FCA didn “make” the 9 speed, they just purchased rights to it from ZF just like Honda, Land Rover, Jaguar, etc. did. It was an off-the-shelf transmission close to what they needed, far cheaper than designing a new transmission. The other automakers did the same thing. We had one newbie here who wanted to start a class-action suit because his transmission didn’t go into 9th gear (!). I don’t think he’s still around....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
ah I see

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here is all the info you need to tune your Cherokee

Required Items:

1. HP Tuners MPVI2 Module + 2 Credits (Each vehicle you tune requires 2 credits)
MPVI2 – HPTuners

If you have a 2018+ Cherokee you will also require a special cable as the PCM's are locked down even more and can't be read without it.
Dodge 2018+ Smart Access Cable – HPTuners

2. 2015+ Model Year vehicles will require a spare PCM (2014 Vehicles can skip this step) This Ebay store is a great place to find a spare PCM. Make sure its the same model year and engine as your vehicle. In my case I got a PCM out of a 2016 Cherokee V6 Limited that was FWD but it worked fine.

LKQonline | eBay Stores

3. Send your spare PCM (Or your factory one however that isn't always feasible since your vehicle is not drive-able without a PCM) to HP tuners for unlocking

Dodge PCM Modification Service – HPTuners

4. Choose a company who is willing to tune Pentastar Engines. In my case I chose www.Player3.ca as they are somewhat local to me.

5. Windows Laptop

Once you have the HP Tuners module you can get a read of your stock tune & do data logging with the included software. One thing to note is you do NOT require an unlocked PCM to READ your stock tune file OR do datalogging. The MPVI2 module is also a very good OBDII reader so if you don't want to tune you can just use it as a code reader.

Reading the tuning file is simple. Plug the scanner into the OBDII port and a usb port on your laptop

Put the vehicle to RUN (Do not start it) Connect the computer (and HP Tuners module to the computer) and fire up VCM Editor and read the stock tuning file. This process takes approximately 15 minutes. During this time you will hear some dinging and lots of error messages on the Evic (service park brake, service airbag ect) THIS IS NORMAL. Once done follow the on screen prompts which tells you to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds then back to RUN (without starting) and then ignition off and you are done.

Data logging or code reading is also easy.

Put the vehicle to RUN (Do not start it) Connect the computer (and HP Tuners module to the computer) fire up VCM Scanner. CONNECT to the vehicle. Once that is done start the vehicle and hit RECORD (Red button) you can log as much and as long as you want. Once done you can save the file.

When you have the stock read and data logs for your vehicle you can either tune the vehicle yourself (If you have the knowledge, it is rather complicated) or send the files away to be analysed by a reputable tuner.

Writing the tuned file is very similar to reading it.

Put the vehicle to RUN (Do not start it) Connect the computer (and HP Tuners module to the computer) and fire up VCM Editor and write the tuning file. This process takes approximately 1 minute. During this time you will hear some dinging and lots of error messages on the Evic (service park brake, service airbag ect) THIS IS NORMAL. Once done follow the on screen prompts which tells you to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds then back to RUN (without starting) and then ignition off and you are done. Once done follow the on screen prompts which tells you to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds then back to RUN (without starting) and then ignition off and you are done.

After loading the tuned file, follow the above instructions to data log and provide that info to the person who tuned your vehicle.

This is a bit of a long process but the gains are noticeable. Is this for everyone, absolutely not. If you have a 2014 the cost to do so is less but in any case you will require an HP Tuners MPVI2 or access to one which some companies may lend/rent out.

Tuning a stock Cherokee will absolutely get you gains, any other mods you have (Air intake) just complement the tune and the tune can be custom written to take better advantage of those mods.

This was an adventure and a rather expensive proof of concept but should anyone want to tune their Cherokee I would be glad to help them out.
How much HP gain can be added to the 2014 3.2 engine ? Sorry im new to this process .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will pass on this due to cost. Not the cost of the equipment, but the cost of my divorce after I have "bricked" our car. ;)

Sounds really cool though. I have had the opportunity to see something similar to this in the NHRA. The timers on tuning everything is unbelievable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any idea of what may happen if you run a 2014 PCM in a non 2014 model? Making moves to get this process going on my 2015, and if I could save $250 by excluding the 2015+ PCM modification with HP Tuners, that would be nice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts