2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

How to add Android Auto/Carplay to 2014+ Cherokee (3 Options)

127K views 356 replies 35 participants last post by  Gary Kline 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is a topic that has been tossed around a lot with few REAL answers. I have discovered a few options. So I figured I would post the 3 options to do so here for everyone else who wants to do so.

Option 1 Aftermarket: Go aftermarket with a idatalink maestro (keeps all factory features). If you go after market it will run you about $850 including the maestro and all other parts you need if you get it at BestBuy. Even a new bezel. The install it self is free if you buy head unit from them and yes BestBuy sells parts an option at checkout when buying a head unit. FYI BestBuy price matches crutchfield.

This is what's involved

Option 2: If you want only factory parts? There is an option but its almost 1.7k

Option 3:
This option is what I settled on. See Page 7 of this thread. Teyes CC3 for Jeep Cherokee KL. The only factory feature I lost was heated steering wheel and I dont care about that. Kept all others even heated seats. The unit also has 100% wireless Android Auto.
2014-2018 Cherokee KL Teyes 10.1 Android Radio

5 Pics Here

Hope these 3 options this help some of you!

See less See more
#3 ·
Nope. Replaced it yesterday and I'm not disappointed. I went with a pioneer. I have more features and I have Google Maps in dash. Unlike the factory navigation which is never up to date Google Maps is always up-to-date and shows live traffic. The stock unit was crap compared to this. I think the only person that would regret it is someone who did not want or need Android auto. I don't get your argument there is nothing to miss from the stock unit. I have all the same features of my stock unit plus more. Oh and did I mention it sounds a hell of a lot better?

Whats to miss? The extra 1.4 in on the screen? Not really because 2" of the that screen was constantly taken up by the icons of the bottom so I don't notice a difference of screen size at all. So I ask again what's to miss from the stock unit?

#11 ·
So this is a topic that has been tossed around a lot with few REAL answers. I have discovered a few options because I am adding Android auto to my 2017 Cherokee myself. So I figured I would post the 3 options to do so here for everyone else who wants to do so. I am going with Option 2 just because the Pioneer unit I am getting is faster than stock and sounds better and you get some added features.

Option 1: For $600 provided you already have the 8.4 screen and have a 2016+ Cherokee (this is 100% plug and play no touching any wires or modding your unit of any kind!)

Option 2: Aftermarket: Go aftermarket with a idatalink maestro (keeps all factory features). If you go after market it will run you about $850 including the maestro and all other parts you need if you get it at BestBuy. Even a new bezel. The install it self is free if you buy head unit from them and yes BestBuy sells parts an option at checkout when buying a head unit. FYI BestBuy price matches crutchfield. Doing so brought my order down to $790 FLAT including install!

This is what's involved and how your Cherokee will look after the install with Option 2

Option 3: If you want only factory parts? There is an option but its almost 1.7k (this option is crazy to do IMO Id stick with 1 or 2)

Hope these 3 options this help some of you!
I am very interested in option 1. I’ve contacted the company, who won’t provide installation instructions without buying the unit, but they tell me the entire center council must come out. Not sure I want to remove the entire council and honestly can’t figure out why it would need to come out. The bezel, screen and AC controls I could see, but the entire council?? Has anyone actually done this mod yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
Many videos on youtube of folks with other cars who did it. Including a BMW which is a nightmare electronics wise. Everyone was very happy with it.

When they say the console the mean the radio unit. You have to remember these boys are in china. Although unlike most companies over there these guys speak prefect English, they do have different words for things in their culture. You have to take out the screen and the radio unit to find a place to plug all their wires in and a place to stash their box. The install will be easy peasy because its all plug and play. All the plugs are different sizes so matching to the ports will be easy too.

#13 · (Edited)
There soon may be a cheaper Option 4 too. I pulled the trigger on a 10.2" Dasaita Android head unit to review it that is 100% plug and play. They "claim" their canbus will keep all our factory features. Even AC controls. Its even cheaper! $400-500 depending if you get it from ebay or Aliexpress. They shipped it within 1 hour of me ordering which says LOT about the company. I have always liked their units in the past

Once I fully test it and verify their claims are Valid I will update this post

#14 ·
There soon may be a cheaper Option 4 too. I pulled the trigger on a 10.2" Dasaita Android head unit to review it that is 100% plug and play. They "claim" their canbus will keep all our factory features. Even AC controls. Its even cheaper! $550. They shipped it within 1 hour of me ordering which says LOT about the company. I have always liked their units in the past

Once I fully test it and verify their claims are Valid I will update this post
I would look forward to your review. please start a new thread when you get it. BTW when radio manufacturers say we'll keep all controls, climate is not that impressive. if they can turn off the EVIC, when the MAV is turned off, that would be impressive. does the unit you are geeting have a built in MAV? I just googled a picture installed in a car. wow it's big!

#22 ·
That looks sweet! Watched the UTube review, no one says anything about Sat radio.. Will wait for your review!

Because no one uses SAT radio lol.

Most people on Android units tether their phone and use Pandora/Spotify. If you want SAT radio on an Android unit download the Sirrus XM App from the playstore. This App will work better than having the tuner because it wont need line of sight. AKA you drive into a parking garage, tunnel or car wash you will still have prefect reception

#24 ·
That's a little secret Sirius doesn't want you to know Fred. Yes, it will save you some money. I dropped all services on all three vehicles, and now just tap the aux from the phone, and boom, done. Here's the kicker, the sound quality is noticeably better than the direct sat connection. I think I pay like $14 a month, and have access to Sirius in anything with aux jacks and or bluetooth. It's brilliant!!!😎

#25 · (Edited)
Just a heads up guys look for my review on option #4 The 10.2" Dasaita Android unit I mentioned in an earlier post this weekend. I'm actually blown away by this company and how quick they're shipping the unit to me.

It's coming from China, I ordered it Saturday and it's getting here today "Wednesday". Talk about expedited shipping. But I actually shocked by how good their customer service and shipping has been

After I test it fully if it works as they claim it ought to be one of the best options for just about anybody with a Cherokee that once an Android unit and to dazzle up/modernize their interior.

So expect an update and review soon

#26 ·
I too have been in contact with them. My emails were answered in a couple hours! I’m still waiting for a response from Kenwood I sent Monday.

Anyway, I asked them about using the factory MIC’s as opposed to theirs. They didn’t think the factory ones will work. Bummer, I was ready to buy it but that’s kind of a turn off for me. Please let us know if they are correct.

Looking forward to you evaluation!!

#31 ·
Man, I don't know how we never got lost in the desert back in the day before modern technology??? It's called a compass, UHF, and good old paper maps or an atlas. BTW, you can still get some amazing topographic maps from your local public land bureau, if you younger folks know how to read them...LOL!!!😎

#43 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I wound up canceling with Phoenix and ordering this instead
128GB Tesla Screen Car GPS NavigationFor JEEP Cherokee 2014 2019 Android 9.0 Car Radio Multimedia Video PlayerAutoradio Stereo|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

These guys are obviously the actual makers of these radios. Not a 3rd party seller! They answered all my technical questions with ease and even took pictures of certain features and ports of the unit that I was interested in and sent them to me via chat. They also threw in some freebees.

#46 · (Edited)
Please DO NOT buy it yourself until I verify all our factory functions (aka heated seats, steering wheel, headlight delay, reversing, parking asist and lane departure warnings work with it! That way only I am out the $$ not some of you. I bought this through my work and I test tech products all the time. If its good I will let you know. If its bad I will be straight up and say that. I updated my post above too. I wound up getting a better unit from the ACTUAL maker of the unit

#49 ·
Kind of an update...
I took the plunge and went with the Nifty City module option ($600)

Why them? I looked at replacing everything via the Infotainment system($1500). I specifically asked if the replacement radio would be covered under my MaxCare warranty, they said yes. When I called my dealer about the proxi alignment, my service adviser said if I did go that route they would do the PROXI no charge, BUT had me speak with one of the master mechanics. He said he has been seeing multiple of horror stories from doing this. Car systems not shutting down, multiple radios going bad and not being covered, electrical system issues, issues with UConnect updates. All the radios they use are refurbished units. Also, repairs caused by this swap may or may not be covered by MaxCare. The radio itself would NOT be covered. No thanks,$1500 for a refurb radio, which Infotainment confirmed, I don’t think so.

Started thinking about potential issues with an Android unit($200-600) Figured they would be the same as the Infotainment unit. Maybe in the future though.

I also looked at a add on module from NavTool ($550). Allegedly in the USA. I emailed them, took hours for a reply. The English was obviously not from someone who speaks English as a first language. I was also told the unit they list for 2014-2018 Jeep Cherokees on their website would not work in my 2018 Cherokee because I already have wireless CarPlay. What?!

Nifty City answered my questions within a few minutes. Their add on works with touch screen or knob control, I could get a 2 year extended warranty ($35) bringing the warranty to 3 years. They also gave me a code for 15%off if I ordered within 24 hours.

Should have the unit next week. Once installed I will update again.

#50 · (Edited)
Kind of an update...
I took the plunge and went with the Nifty City module option ($600)
Nifty City answered my questions within a few minutes. Their add on works with touch screen or knob control, I could get a 2 year extended warranty ($35) bringing the warranty to 3 years. They also gave me a code for 15%off if I ordered within 24 hours.

Should have the unit next week. Once installed I will update again.

UPDATE: I think I am going to give up on the tesla style screen. Mainly due to the fact that I would get next to no support if it craps out on me after 6months. I have canceled my order. After a week they still havent shipped it! They also gave me no real answers about why they haven't. So I said F it and canceled my order. Getting my money back was NOT easy!

NiftyCity Customer service is outstanding! They also speak prefect English! I think Im going with the double upgrade since I have the VP3 (non-nav). I am Upgrading to the VP4 then I might get the item from NiftyCity. That way I have factory Nav + Android Auto by hitting a button.

Not 100% sure if I will get the item from NiftyCity yet till I get the Nav unit in. It will be here Monday. If I am happy with factory Nav I will just stick with that. The Vp4 was only 275$ on ebay! They wanted $600 to unlock nav on the VP3. F that!

#51 ·
I have a unit from a 2019 in my 2015 TH. I basically went the infotainment route, but I did it myself. Ordered a radio for just over $400 from LKQ, ordered the Climate Control module, MX+ OBD, and ALFA OBD. Was able to do the PROXY alignment no problem, only bugaboo was that although the proxy alignment was correct and everything worked properly, I still had a flashing odometer. After the latest recall that issue was resolved following the dealership flash. Not sure if they resolved it or if it resolved itself due to the flash. Everything is proper and complete now, however and I also used AlfaOBD to turn off the fog light/high beam and DRL/turn signal dropouts.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#59 ·
Well, I received the unit from NiftyCity. They sent me one for a Grand Cherokee. [emoji2959]. I emailed them, waiting to hear back from them.

As I looked in the kit, there is a circuit board that gets connected. There are zero instructions on where it goes. Hope I don’t have to disassemble the screen. Wanted to avoid that, but maybe it’s because the system is for a Grand....[emoji848][emoji848]

Tune in later.....[emoji2957]

#60 ·
So, after several emails up and back, NiftyCity insists everything is the same and will work. IDK, figured the wire loom would be different, but who knows. One thing I did not know, and is nowhere on their website, is you need to disassemble the screen and add a circuit board. Only on Jeep and Porsche is the circuit board required. Not exactly plug and play. They did agree to a return with full refund. Going to head to UPS tomorrow and see what it will cost and decide if I keep it or return it.

BTW, the return label says JoyAuto on it, not NiftyCity, so likely the same company. The JoyAuto UTube video does show installing the circuit board. Not hard, but if I have a radio issue I need to remove the extra board before I can take it to Jeep, kinda PIA.....

Stay tuned till tomorrow. Same bat time,same bat station.....

#61 · (Edited)
So they basically lied on their website they said it was 100% plug-and-play no disassembling.

Good to know and I hope you don't have any type of extended warranty or anyting because if you do the factory unit is no longer covered the moment you take it apart. There will be stickers and seals you will be breaking when you disassemble the factory unit. Just FYI

If it were me the moment I heard that I had to take apart the factory unit I would have sent it back

#62 ·
That’s the plan. Looking online sending it back will cost me $50 via UPS with delivery in less than 5 days. I have to pay return shipping but they waived the 20%”restocking” fee. I have a MaxCare lifetime warranty which is why I didn’t want to open the screen, which is why I didn’t buy the JoyAuto, or did I???

#63 · (Edited)
Oh no my friend you contact them they practically lied on their website and you get them to pay for return shipping. It's called false advertising you should not pay a dime. You also get them to waive that restocking fee. After hearing this I am removing them as an option from my original post.

Fight with them on this do not pay that

#65 ·
Well, the package was delivered about 11:00am on the 22nd (China time) which is 13 hours ahead of me. So right now as I write this it’s the 23rd in China. So far have not heard a thing, but will give them another day to refund my card before I email them again. I did get stuck for the return shipping. I’ll eat $51 to get my $ 580 back. We will see how this goes, but I have delivery confirmation and can always contest with my card....

#66 · (Edited)
I hope you got your money back their website is a bit of a scam I guess in a way well not really a scam just a really high markup. After doing some research on the unit you said they sent you Joyeauto sells it for 450$. With that being said I still wouldn't use one of these devices and take my radio apart the only way I do it is if I bought a second radio off eBay and did it to that one so I still have my factory radio as a backup.

At the moment I'm happy with the factory navigation on my new VP4 unit upgrade however at some point I'm probably going to upgrade to the carplay unit when I can find one at a decent price off LKQ.

#71 ·
Has anyone found any options other than the 1500 infotainment one? I also saw in another thread people talking about going to crutch field and ordering one, and they apparently have some for 300$ that fit a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I don’t really know much about installing a radio but I’m looking to buy a 2015 soon and I want Apple car play. Every forum I read is like all over the place so I don’t really understand if it is possible.

#77 · (Edited)
^^^ Good to know, on the 4C (in my case the 8.4 4C Nav), there is no Android Auto app, it's part of the kernel, the Phone icon changes to AA when an AA capable phone is plugged in.
You do need the Android Auto app installed on your phone from the Play Store (and you might also want to forget any FCA cars on your phone in it's settings)
On the Projection Manager, you may need to scroll to the next page ( the ">" icon on the uConnect apps screen.) You might also want to do a hard reset on the unit to put everything back to factory, since a prior owner may have moved/hidden some icons. Do you have the part number on the radio? We may be able to tell if it really is a uConnect 4 unit. (or you can just Google the radio part number)

Also, make sure you are using a 'good' usb cable (like a new oem cable), AA can be really finicky with cables!

#78 · (Edited)
The way you know normally if your head unit has Android auto/carplay if it will have an application called projection manager mine does not so I'm assuming they sent me the wrong radio. It seems to have Uconnect4 but not 4c. I was thinking you have to tell your cars ECU that you have Android auto somehow. That's why I was asking the other guy if he had to enable the feature somehow using the alpha OBD.

Lkq has many of these 8.4 inch screens. They don't all have Android auto it's quite easy they could have sent me the wrong part

#79 ·
That's why I was asking for the part number. From what I have seen, only the 5" uConnect 4 radios lack AA/CarPlay.
Android/CarPlay are not configurable (by a dealer or any aftermarket OBDii apps) - the radio either has it or it doesn't.
If it was from a 2019+ Jeep, they all had AA/CarPlay as standard. (I think only the Grand Cherokee had it in 2018)
Another way to tell (LKQ usually supplies this) is to run the vin of the vehicle it came from in the FCA-Jeep Build Sheet: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

Per FCA/Jeep:
Does the Jeep® Brand support Apple CarPlay® or Android Auto?
If your vehicle has a Uconnect® 5 system, Apple CarPlay® support or Android Auto integration is included.
Select Uconnect 4 systems (those with a 7-inch, 8.4-inch or 12-inch touchscreen) also include Apple CarPlay support or Android Auto integration.
Older Uconnect systems (model year 2016 and earlier) do not support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

Any how, best of luck!

#80 · (Edited)
The part number on the part I got sent is 68297446AI. This part does not have the projection manager app at all

So maybe for some odd reason I do have to upgrade my media hub. From everyone I have talked to that is done this exact upgrade they did not have to upgrade the media hub using Android auto. They only had to upgrade the HVAC module.

If you have some way to look up features on parts that's super helpful but that is the part number.

If I have to upgrade the media hub I will have to try and find the part number to a 2019 media hub somehow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.