2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
If you're interested in just replacing your stock uconnect I have a unit from my 2015 with navigation that I would be willing to sell ya. PM me if you're interested
Good man! They sell for $350 on ebay to cut him a deal! Id sell him mine but Im keeping it in case this one breaks one day or I go to sell the car. The original NAV makes it worth more

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good man! They sell for $350 on ebay to cut him a deal! Id sell him mine but Im keeping it in case this one breaks one day or I go to sell the car. The original NAV makes it worth more
I have a unit from a 2019 working in my TH and I figure that if that one ever decides to stop working I can just get another from a junker or go with one of these other units. I don't see any reason to ever go back to stock

Reactions: cwwjr1681

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does this unit work with the stock antenna and Sirius XM and the stock backup camera?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Does this unit work with the stock antenna and Sirius XM and the stock backup camera?
I posted a video about this man did you watch it? Yes factory backup camera works. Ill be honest I dont even know why you would still use Sirius XM on an android unit. No point. Spotify and Pandora are much better. But on an android unit you would use the Sirius XM app. Without the App it wont work on ANY android unit because without the app you would need a separate tuner. So you just download the app onto the unit and then yes it will work. Please watch the video I posted on page 7 and know what you are getting into with an android unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted a video about this man did you watch it? Yes factory backup camera works. Ill be honest I dont even know why you would still use Sirius XM on an android unit. No point. Spotify and Pandora are much better. But on an android unit you would use the Sirius XM app. Without the App it wont work on ANY android unit because without the app you would need a separate tuner. So you just download the app onto the unit and then yes it will work. Please watch the video I posted on page 7 and know what you are getting into with an android unit.
I imagine SiriusXM could come in beneficial in areas with poor cell reception and poor FM. For example going between Las Vegas and Phoenix both cell and radio are spotty in areas.

CWWJR1681 is right, it is not certified for Sirius, so no it will not work. You can use the SiriusXM app or if you want true satellite you could use one of their dock and play external units, and hook up via aux or bluetooth

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,314 Posts
Man, couldn't live without my Sirius XM. Music, news, weather, and sports anytime, and anywhere, unless you are in a tunnel. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio for years...😎

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Got an email back from Teyes. They said their procurement person said they can also do the trim in black or silver. They said to get a different color just send an email to [email protected] after you order to specify what color you would like.
Excellent just follow the things I covered in my video for inital set up. They are IMPORTANT. Also if you have the premium sound system with the factory amp? Let me know and ill share a pic of my DSP settings. I tweaked it for an hour! Maybe ill make another video on it. Some people like to custom set this though. What sounds good to me may be bad to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excellent just follow the things I covered in my video for inital set up. They are IMPORTANT. Also if you have the premium sound system with the factory amp? Let me know and ill share a pic of my DSP settings. I tweaked it for an hour! Maybe ill make another video on it. Some people like to custom set this though. What sounds good to me may be bad to you.
I just found this group and wanted to mention a couple of things about the Teyes chinese head unit for those considering getting one. I just returned my unit, Teyes CC3, which was installed in my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes I know that is group is just for the Cherokee but there are a many things that are the same.

Aside from the aesthetic issues (my unit came with an insert that stuck out about two inches) I had the following problems with Teyes:
1. The Wifi kept disconnecting - every time I started my vehicle I had to reconnect my wifi hotspot (turn off and back on). This could be an iphone only problem but it was frustrating.
2. The volume to was too loud - I had to adjust the canbus settings to "All Jeeps" just so I could control it but for many days I had the sound muted and once I figured it out (Teyes customer support did not help) it still was much louder than factory.
3. Voice navigation is limited - Teyes forces you to use their voice navigation system instead of Google's and it is very lacking. Also I believe that you have to register to get this "feature" active permanently.
4. Regular Over-the-air stations did not always come in clear - this was strange, but I found that a couple of the stations that I liked to listen to would sometimes go in and out or would sound fuzzy at times. And yes I did try USA1 and USA2 they did not help and it did not have HD-Radio either.
5. Bad backup Camera image - I used the factory camera on my vehicle instead of the Teyes one that they shipped to me and the image looked over saturated and dark... even the lines looked over saturated.

Now despite all of this I would say that the Teyes was not a horrible unit. It just did not work well for me and required too much configuring and reconfiguring. It may work just fine with an android phone, if you like loud music and never use voice navigation features. My next step will be just to open my existing radio and use the addon module. I would have preferred to swap out the head unit with a newer one and update the media hub but many of the units I saw were very expensive (maybe I should have checked LKQ first?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
I just found this group and wanted to mention a couple of things about the Teyes chinese head unit for those considering getting one. I just returned my unit, Teyes CC3, which was installed in my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes I know that is group is just for the Cherokee but there are a many things that are the same.

Aside from the aesthetic issues (my unit came with an insert that stuck out about two inches) I had the following problems with Teyes:
1. The Wifi kept disconnecting - every time I started my vehicle I had to reconnect my wifi hotspot (turn off and back on). This could be an iphone only problem but it was frustrating.
2. The volume to was too loud - I had to adjust the canbus settings to "All Jeeps" just so I could control it but for many days I had the sound muted and once I figured it out (Teyes customer support did not help) it still was much louder than factory.
3. Voice navigation is limited - Teyes forces you to use their voice navigation system instead of Google's and it is very lacking. Also I believe that you have to register to get this "feature" active permanently.
4. Regular Over-the-air stations did not always come in clear - this was strange, but I found that a couple of the stations that I liked to listen to would sometimes go in and out or would sound fuzzy at times. And yes I did try USA1 and USA2 they did not help and it did not have HD-Radio either.
5. Bad backup Camera image - I used the factory camera on my vehicle instead of the Teyes one that they shipped to me and the image looked over saturated and dark... even the lines looked over saturated.

I appreciate all your concerns but this is kind of why I left the heavy disclaimer about these units are designed for someone that is tech savvy with technical skills that can kind of provide their own technical support when issues arise. Their best suited for tinkers. It really is unfortunate that these units require so much tinkering and are not much more out of the box ready. However their manufacturers in China and that's just how China is

Literally everything you just mentioned is not set in stone and it is changeable in the factory settings you just have to know where to look. I kind of wish you had waited to return your unit but it's not your fault the tech support you talk to on these units is in China in English is their second if not their third language. So they are borderline useless. I used to build computers and motherboards for a living. I have also worked as a programmer so I have a lot of technical skills that most people do not.

Therefore for everyone who wants to buy one of these units who read your concerns I'm going to tell you how to fix them and I will probably make a video on them. Like I said it's kind of sucks you returned your unit because all your issues were fixable.

1) to fix this issue "static Wi-Fi scanning needed to be enabled" you will find this option in the actual Android system developer options. It is disabled by the fault to save battery life on Android devices however since this device is not powered by battery it won't hurt anything to enable it. It is also an absolute must to attach the included 5g Wi-Fi antenna. Without it you will have chronic connection issues. It is marked 5G Wi-Fi. Without it it's the same as not connecting your antennas to your home router you're going to have crappy Wi-Fi
2) to fix this issue under the device sound settings? There's an option called signal boost and it is set to 60 by default. It needs to be turned down to about 52-55. That will fix that issue after that you need to manually tune the DSP. You also have to turn on the factory amplifier in your DSP settings which is disabled by default. Once enabled it drains the base from your speakers and sends it to your subwoofer in the trunk instead. This is only an issue for people with the factory amplifier and 9 speaker sound system.
3) This is highly untrue you need to change the default GPS system to Google Maps under system settings once that's done you can then uninstall their GPS app which I would highly recommend and I did.
4) the radio itself has never been pretty good at least that I have seen.
5) this is once again completely fixable you can we call these settings once the reverse camera is pulled up you tap the screen in the upper right-hand corner and a settings menu appears that allows you to tweak all these settings. I highly agree that it is oversaturated which is why I turned the saturation on mine down from the default 100 to 5. I set the brightness to 13 and the color which is the third setting to 8.

I'm sorry you had all these issues and I wish customer service for the company spoke better English and was able to explain to this to their customers better.

Again I'm sorry you returned your unit but literally every issue you had was fixable and you have convinced me that I need to make a video on this so I am going to do so.

Expect an update to this thread soon where I will post the video. I will cover all these issues and how to fix them and I will also share my manual DSP settings that you can copy. Manual tuning is required and without it it will always sound like crap. Like I said I will provide my manual settings in the video and you can spend roughly 2 to 5 minutes tweaking it to your liking from there or just leave it. Having manual settings as a starting point should cut your tweaking down to about 2 to 5 minutes because I spent an hour manually tuning everything

·
Registered
5 Posts
I appreciate all your concerns but this is kind of why I left the heavy disclaimer about these units are designed for someone that is tech savvy with technical skills that can kind of provide their own technical support when issues arise. Their best suited for tinkers

Literally everything you just mentioned is not set in stone and it is changeable in the factory settings you just have to know where to look. I kind of wish you had waited to return your unit but it's not your fault the tech support you talk to on these units is in China in English is their second if not their third language. So they are borderline useless. I used to build computers and motherboards for a living. I have also worked as a programmer so I have a lot of technical skills that most people do not.

Therefore for everyone who wants to buy one of these units who read your concerns I'm going to tell you how to fix them and I will probably make a video on them. Like I said it's kind of sucks you returned your unit because all your issues were fixable.

1) to fix this issue "static Wi-Fi scanning needed to be enabled" you will find this option in the actual Android system developer options. It is disabled by the fault to save battery life on Android devices however since this device is not powered by battery it won't hurt anything to enable it. It is also an absolute must to attach the included 5g Wi-Fi antenna. Without it you will have chronic connection issues. It is marked 5G Wi-Fi. Without it it's the same as not connecting your antennas to your home router you're going to have crappy Wi-Fi
2) to fix this issue under the device sound settings? There's an option called signal boost and it is set to 60 by default. It needs to be turned down to about 52-55. That will fix that issue after that you need to manually tune the DSP. You also have to turn on the factory amplifier in your DSP settings which is disabled by default. Once enabled it drains the base from your speakers and sends it to your subwoofer in the trunk instead. This is only an issue for people with the factory amplifier and 9 speaker sound system.
3) This is highly untrue you need to change the default GPS system to Google Maps under system settings once that's done you can then uninstall their GPS app which I would highly recommend and I did.
4) the radio is pretty much crap on all Android units which is why you need to buy an additional accessory if you want to use the regular radio with clarity and the good news is the additional accessory also ads HD radio. Its called the Teyes DAB+
5) this is once again completely fixable you can we call these settings once the reverse camera is pulled up you tap the screen in the upper right-hand corner and a settings menu appears that allows you to tweak all these settings. I highly agree that it is oversaturated which is why I turned the saturation on mine down from the default 100 to 5. I set the brightness to 13 and the color which is the third setting to 8.

I'm sorry you had all these issues and I wish customer service for the company spoke better English and was able to explain to this to their customers better.

Again I'm sorry you returned your unit but literally every issue you had was fixable and you have convinced me that I need to make a video on this so I am going to do so.

Expect an update to this thread soon where I will post the video. I will cover all these issues and how to fix them and I will also share my manual DSP settings that you can copy. Manual tuning is required and without it it will always sound like crap. Like I said I will provide my manual settings in the video and you can spend roughly 2 to 5 minutes tweaking it to your liking from there or just leave it. Having manual settings as a starting point should cut your tweaking down to about 2 to 5 minutes because I spent an hour manually tuning everything
Thanks so much for your feedback about the Teyes unit I think that this discussion and any videos you post will be a great help to others who are interested in installing this unit.

I do wish that I had found out about how to resolve some of these issues before returning the unit because I do enjoy tinkering with electronics and troubleshooting but the tech support issues coupled with trying to teach my wife how to use the system were too much. At the end of the day all she wanted was something that worked without the extra tweeking. I will let you guys know how I make out with the module. I will be installing that this weekend.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for your feedback about the Teyes unit I think that this discussion and any videos you post will be a great help to others who are interested in installing this unit.

I do wish that I had found out about how to resolve some of these issues before returning the unit because I do enjoy tinkering with electronics and troubleshooting but the tech support issues coupled with trying to teach my wife how to use the system were too much. At the end of the day all she wanted was something that worked without the extra tweeking. I will let you guys know how I make out with the module. I will be installing that this weekend.
There is almost nothing about them that is out of the box user-friendly ready to go. It's more okay I got my Android unit now I have to start the 2-hour tinkering process to get it the way I like. This is highly unfortunate because it stresses the general consumer out and it's something they don't want to deal with.

The truth is the initial setup is the only complex part about this because once it's set up it's done. Once your initial setup was done your wife would have a user friendly experience that's the same every time she gets in the car no tinkering. Unfortunately it seems you came across some issues that you couldn't solve and I wish these things were not so complex because some of the settings to fix the problems are buried within menus upon menus on these Android units. So if you don't already know whereabouts to start looking you wind up feeling like it's a lost cause

So I am going to do my best to make a YouTube video of the initial setup of one of these units and everything you need to do. That way folks can go into this unit with a basic knowledge of what they need to do to set it up to get it to their liking and once that's done they are done with the tinkering.

I think the challenge for me since I do have such a technical mindset is going to be making the video to the point where someone who's not tech savvy can follow it. I will do my best to create a very basic walkthrough on everything you need to do and explaining the reasons behind it so that way just about anybody can follow the video

So with all of this long explanation said if you or someone who just cares about Android auto and you want something that's pretty much ready out of the box you need to follow option one in this thread and get the idatalink setup with a Pioneer or Kenwood radio. If you don't mind sinking in the time for just the initial setup then one of these units are great

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
. I will let you guys know how I make out with the module. I will be installing that this weekend.
I really hope you didn't buy that add-on module man there's nothing Plug and Play about it you have to void the warranty on your factory unit and you have to take it apart and attach a separate motherboard to the factory motherboard inside of it. It's one static shock away from making your unit unusable whatsoever and frying the factory motherboard. It was so technical that it was something even I wasn't comfortable doing.

Firehouse Fred in this thread found this out and it took him 7 months to get his money back and if you look back in the thread you will see where he talks about it.

There is no plug-in play at on module. There are six different companies that sell the same product rebranded under their logo. All six companies sell the same product from the same Chinese manufacturer. That's why I specifically made a post in this thread telling people not to buy it.

I remember you saying you're on the Grand Cherokee so there is a small chance things may be different but on the regular Cherokee there is no Plug and Play option. This is mainly because the ECU system in the Cherokee is made by Fiat where the system in the Grand Cherokee is made by Chrysler it's a completely different animal when it comes to computer interface.

·
Registered
14 Posts
4) the radio is pretty much crap on all Android units which is why you need to buy an additional accessory if you want to use the regular radio with clarity and the good news is the additional accessory also ads HD radio. Its called the Teyes DAB+
This is not correct. DAB+ is not HD Radio and is a different standard. DAB+ is used mostly in European countries, Asia, Africa (basically the rest of the world) whereas HD Radio is used in North American countries. They use different codecs and are not compatible with each other.

What may be the problem is the Cherokees likely use an amplified antenna to overcome limitations in their size. The Android units likely are not providing voltage to the antenna, and thus its not getting amplified. I remember a Toyota Camry I once had that I changed the head unit out on required me to provide 12v to the antenna for it to work right.

edit: Just noticed he said his is a Grand Cherokee, looks like the Grand Cherokee does in fact use an antenna amplifier:

CWWJR1681, how is the reception on your KL? I searched but from what I can tell the KLs do not use an amplified antenna.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 · (Edited)
What may be the problem is the Cherokees likely use an amplified antenna to overcome limitations in their size. The Android units likely are not providing voltage to the antenna, and thus its not getting amplified. I remember a Toyota Camry I once had that I changed the head unit out on required me to provide 12v to the antenna for it to work right.
I apologize I never actually use the Radio function on these android units I was relaying information was I was given by a sales rep in the past on one of these units. They explained to me this is what I would need for a better radio experience when they talked about "addons". However that rep was In china so this actually clears up a lot. I have edited my comment to reflect. I am not someone who liked to relay incorrect info.

As for the radio it self? I can not speak on it. I have not used it. Nor Will I use it. I pretty much just use Spotify & Pandora everywhere I go. I didnt even use the radio function on my stock unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really hope you didn't buy that add-on module man there's nothing Plug and Play about it you have to void the warranty on your factory unit and you have to take it apart and attach a separate motherboard to the factory motherboard inside of it. It's one static shock away from making your unit unusable whatsoever and frying the factory motherboard. It was so technical that it was something even I wasn't comfortable doing.

Firehouse Fred in this thread found this out and it took him 7 months to get his money back and if you look back in the thread you will see where he talks about it.

There is no plug-in play at on module. There are six different companies that sell the same product rebranded under their logo. All six companies sell the same product from the same Chinese manufacturer. That's why I specifically made a post in this thread telling people not to buy it.

I remember you saying you're on the Grand Cherokee so there is a small chance things may be different but on the regular Cherokee there is no Plug and Play option. This is mainly because the ECU system in the Cherokee is made by Fiat where the system in the Grand Cherokee is made by Chrysler it's a completely different animal when it comes to computer interface.
Thanks for the info. I read everthing Firehouse Fred said about the unit and I am not the least bit worried. I have over 20 years in computer and customer support so adding and connecting 3 ribbon cables is not a problem for me. I already knew that it was not a simple plug and play unit and I am okay with that. The problem that I had with the Teyes unit was that there were too many little things that I had to tweak to make it work and the support was lacking. I even tried to join a facebook group to get help and they did not approve my access. In the future, I might buy it or something similar again for a different vehicle since there are a few different Chinese manufactures that use the same equipment as Teyes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To answer this, its an iPhone issue. iPhones will not automatically connect a personal hotspot automatically unless the device is part of Family Sharing. Currently Family Sharing is restricted to Apple devices only via iCloud. iPhones, iPads, and Macs will all auto connect, but any other device will not. Its currently just the way it is with Apple. If they made their Shortcuts app more robust, you could automate connecting the hotspot when it connects to bluetooth but as it stands today you cannot connect hotspots automatically with Shortcuts.

With Android, you can use the Tasker app to automate the process. You can tell it when your phone connects to the cars bluetooth to automatically turn on the hotspot and allow connection to the head unit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
The problem that I had with the Teyes unit was that there were too many little things that I had to tweak to make it work
As the case with pretty much all these china android units. I have owned many on many vehicles and installed a lot of them. Never seen one that I didnt need to spend 1-2 hours tweaking to get right. With that said? once its done its done. Its literally boot up and drive and go from that point on.

I think if I make this video on initial set up and settings to tweak it would be helpful to most people

·
Registered
5 Posts
To answer this, its an iPhone issue. iPhones will not automatically connect a personal hotspot automatically unless the device is part of Family Sharing. Currently Family Sharing is restricted to Apple devices only via iCloud. iPhones, iPads, and Macs will all auto connect, but any other device will not. Its currently just the way it is with Apple. If they made their Shortcuts app more robust, you could automate connecting the hotspot when it connects to bluetooth but as it stands today you cannot connect hotspots automatically with Shortcuts.

With Android, you can use the Tasker app to automate the process. You can tell it when your phone connects to the cars bluetooth to automatically turn on the hotspot and allow connection to the head unit.
Since I no longer have the unit I can't test out CWWJr1681's solution but I will say this. If my personal hotspot was already active prior to starting up the car the unit did not see it. It would see all of the other Wifi signals around me but the hotspot would not be listed. When I went to the saved networks it would be there but be listed as "Not In Range" as soon as I turned the hotspot off and back on it would see it and connect.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Not In Range" as soon as I turned the hotspot off and back on it would see it and connect.
Did you connect the external wifi antenna? I had had wifi issues with my android phone till I did and enabling the dev option helped with disconnects on longs drives

141 - 160 of 162 Posts