2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Hey,

Its for cars that aren't pre equipped with Carplay. I would know because I have installed one of them. Its the complete Carplay module for wired or wireless Carplay that don't have it enabled, it mimics the original Carplay with all the features you'd expect. (steering wheel controls, front and back up camera compatibility, etc...).

EDIT: I can see why'd you think it was for cars that were originally equipped with Android auto/carplay. But the line clearly says "This module will fit perfectly into your vehicle like if it was equipped with the original Carplay option."
I contacted the company. I am guessing you work for them. This unit is not Plug and Play. This is the same thing that ArizonaFred ordered and spent over a month trying to get a refund on.

You have to disassemble your unit. Literally take the unit apart and install special motherboard and attach ribbon cables to the screen. Yeah no thank you. I don't even know why you suggested it considering we talked about it earlier in the thread.

You suggested literally the same thing just made by a different company. It's pretty much a lie and false advertising on their website when they call it Plug and Play. Please do not promote your product in this thread. I don't want to see someone else go through what ArizonaFred went through.

Took 25 emails and threats to contact the FTC, but got back everything but the $51 to ship it back. I was also told to never contact them again....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm really sorry you had to go through what you did and I'm glad you finally got your money back. Looks like another vendor is now selling what you ordered man and promoting it in these threads

·
Registered
31 Posts
Small update here for those still following this thread

At some point I will be giving one of these china unit a go still choosing between the two. They claim it works with factory amp, heated seats and heated steering wheel. Even has an app for factory functions
Seicane 9.7 inch HD Touch Screen 2015-2020 Jeep Cherokee
Teyes 2014-2018 Cherokee KL 10.1 Android Radio
Just curious if you ever ended up deciding on and trying one of these options in your vehicle. Debating between repairing my current head unit that the GPS died on, vs buying a Garmin or external GPS (however this wont integrate with controlling the audio in my car when providing instructions to lower my music etc as far as I'm aware which I will hate) or wondering if replacing the unit with one of these might be worth it at all, but also not sure how many more years I will have the vehicle for so not sure if it's worth putting money into a unit that will be limited to staying in this car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Just curious if you ever ended up deciding on and trying one of these options in your vehicle. Debating between repairing my current head unit that the GPS died on, vs buying a Garmin or external GPS (however this wont integrate with controlling the audio in my car when providing instructions to lower my music etc as far as I'm aware which I will hate) or wondering if replacing the unit with one of these might be worth it at all, but also not sure how many more years I will have the vehicle for so not sure if it's worth putting money into a unit that will be limited to staying in this car.
Ordered the Teyes one. I am waiting on it to get to me. I will post an update once I receive it and try it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
UPDATE: so I promised an update once I received my Teyes unit. I have received it and I am very happy with how they shipped it and the care that went into the packaging. Most of these Chinese units are just thrown into the box and arrive broke in half the time.
Not this one.

Here is everything it comes with

Here is it installed

It seems to be a very high-quality unit compared to some of the other Chinese units I have tested which all felt very cheap. This unit has more of a JVC quality feel. So on to the things a lot of you were probably wondering functions do you loose? If you have a fully loaded Jeep Cherokee like me the only function you will lose is heated steering wheel that is it.

As you can see in the images it has a menu for all your factory functions and it also has AC controls.
I know on the AC it says 65C however that is incorrect it is set to 65F. For some reason the unit just does not display the F even though the temperature is in Fahrenheit. I have the factory reverse camera my Lane assist and all that works flawlessly and so do the AC controls. Except for heated steering wheel of course and if that's the only thing I Lose I'm fine with that. The only other minor thing that I wouldn't really call it a loss is I lost the compass (N,S,E W symbol) from the spedomitor. However the outside temperature remains in place and I have changed it to where the inside temperature displays in place of the compass

I still have a lot of tinkering around to do with this unit I have only had it in my car for for roughly about 2 hours before I made this post I just wanted to update you guys ASAP.

As a side note I did not have the tool to remove the hazard button from my original faceplate. What I love about this unit is it uses your factory Hazard button but that's why it's missing in the photos. Also if you plan to invest in one of these if you have a fully loaded Cherokee like me with the amp you have to set the canbus to Cherokee H instead of Cherokee L. Otherwise you won't have sound. Second step is to set the DSP to Rock. Seems to have the best overall sound. In case you were wondering yes you do retain your factory USB ports. All of them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
UPDATE 2
So after fiddling around with this unit I absolutely love it and even more shockingly it is 100% compatible with Android auto Wireless!!!! Since it works wirelessly with ANdroid Auto? I assume it will work wirelessly with carplay too But I have not tested this.

It's not like you need it on an Android unit however it is a great feature to have! It's only two shortcomings or the things I mentioned in my post above which I've already forgotten about. So I have Updated my OP since I have personally tested this unit

Check out these pics

·
Registered
14 Posts
UPDATE: so I promised an update once I received my Teyes unit. I have received it and I am very happy with how they shipped it and the care that went into the packaging. Most of these Chinese units are just thrown into the box and arrive broke in half the time.
Not this one.

Here is everything it comes with

Here is it installed

It seems to be a very high-quality unit compared to some of the other Chinese units I have tested which all felt very cheap. This unit has more of a JVC quality feel. So on to the things a lot of you were probably wondering functions do you loose? If you have a fully loaded Jeep Cherokee like me the only function you will lose is heated steering wheel that is it.

As you can see in the images it has a menu for all your factory functions and it also has AC controls.
I know on the AC it says 65C however that is incorrect it is set to 65F. For some reason the unit just does not display the F even though the temperature is in Fahrenheit. I have the factory reverse camera my Lane assist and all that works flawlessly and so do the AC controls. Except for heated steering wheel of course and if that's the only thing I Lose I'm fine with that. The only other minor thing that I wouldn't really call it a loss is I lost the compass (N,S,E W symbol) from the spedomitor. However the outside temperature remains in place and I have changed it to where the inside temperature displays in place of the compass

I still have a lot of tinkering around to do with this unit I have only had it in my car for for roughly about 2 hours before I made this post I just wanted to update you guys ASAP.

As a side note I did not have the tool to remove the hazard button from my original faceplate. What I love about this unit is it uses your factory Hazard button but that's why it's missing in the photos. Also if you plan to invest in one of these if you have a fully loaded Cherokee like me with the amp you have to set the canbus to Cherokee H instead of Cherokee L. Otherwise you won't have sound. Second step is to set the DSP to Rock. Seems to have the best overall sound. In case you were wondering yes you do retain your factory USB ports. All of them!
I had nearly talked myself out of an Android head unit. Now you post this and im really considering one again lol. Realistically, all I really want is Carplay without having to spend an arm and a leg for a Uconnect 4C or an aftermarket HU + idatalink maestro + dash kit. Keep us updated if you are still happy with it in the next few weeks after you've had more time with it. $434 shipped to the US for the 6G ram/128G rom unit is really a decent price. Does the volume knob and the buttons on the dash still work? Do the OEM reverse camera lines still follow the steering wheel? Does the OEM microphone work with calls?

oh, also the trim around the dash kit looks gold? My dash trim is silver. What color is yours? Does it clash much?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
oh, also the trim around the dash kit looks gold? My dash trim is silver. What color is yours? Does it clash much?
I do not think they offer it in silver. Most of the Cherokees 2014+ are gold. I think thats why.

Yes everything works though! ALL factory features just work like they do with the factory unit. Only one that doesnt is heated steering wheel but if thats all I lose Im fine with that. The best surprise was Android Auto WIRELESS. Yes all factory USB ports work also

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do not think they offer it in silver. Most of the Cherokees 2014+ are gold. I think thats why.

Yes everything works though! ALL factory features just work like they do with the factory unit. Only one that doesnt is heated steering wheel but if thats all I lose Im fine with that. The best surprise was Android Auto WIRELESS. Yes all factory USB ports work also
Thanks for the reply. I nearly have myself talked into it. Last two questions for now.
1. OEM microphone, its working? Ive read a lot of name brand aftermarket units require using their own mics and cant use the OEM mic.
2. How long did shipping take from purchase to your door?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thanks for the reply. I nearly have myself talked into it. Last two questions for now.
1. OEM microphone, its working? Ive read a lot of name brand aftermarket units require using their own mics and cant use the OEM mic.
2. How long did shipping take from purchase to your door?
No android unit works with OEM mic. It has a built in mic on the front. You can also add an external one. I ordered an external one off amazon for 11$
Shipping was 9 days from ordering to my door. Takes them 3-4 days to ship it once you order then 3-5 days to arrive they claim?
Uploading a video to youtube. Ill post it here after

·
Registered
14 Posts
As Promised. It should be done processing any moment.
Thanks for the video. I think im going to go this direction, ill give it a week or two to see if you have any updates or problems but this really seems promising. Big screen, most factory functions, doesnt look like an eyesore, capacitive screen, carplay/android auto, and to top it off i can install plex, local movies, or emulators for the kids on road trips if i wanted. And a great price. I appreciate your update on this, its really swayed my purchasing decision in its favor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Thanks for the video. I think im going to go this direction, ill give it a week or two to see if you have any updates or problems but this really seems promising. Big screen, most factory functions, doesnt look like an eyesore, capacitive screen, carplay/android auto, and to top it off i can install plex, local movies, or emulators for the kids on road trips if i wanted. And a great price. I appreciate your update on this, its really swayed my purchasing decision in its favor.
FYI I have NOT tested carplay. But android Auto works WIRELESSLY so I dont see why carplay wouldnt.

Also since the unit arrives separate from the Frame? Just spray paint the frame Black. Then you wont have the gold/silver combo

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI I have NOT tested carplay. But android Auto works WIRELESSLY so I dont see why carplay wouldnt.

Also since the unit arrives separate from the Frame? Just spray paint the frame Black. Then you wont have the gold/silver combo
I saw this video

so, it looks like wireless carplay/regular carplay is supported.

Ill probably just deal with the color mismatch, worst case i might be able to vinyl wrap it. Its far enough away from the rest of the silver trim i dont think itll be too much of an eyesore. Ill probably forget about it after a while.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
I saw this video

so, it looks like wireless carplay/regular carplay is supported.

Ill probably just deal with the color mismatch, worst case i might be able to vinyl wrap it. Its far enough away from the rest of the silver trim i dont think itll be too much of an eyesore. Ill probably forget about it after a while.
No just spray paint the frame black will take 10sec and match better.

Lasly when you get it open the FOTA app and update the firmware. Another nice feature of this unit. You can do firmware updates right from the unit =D
The firmware update added android auto wireless. Also the update may add wireless carplay too. Yes android auto work with the factory ports also. The unit comes with an adapter cable for factory ports.
To use android auto/carplay open the Carlink 2.0 App shown in the video.

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,087 Posts
Just a bit of info, nothing aftermarket will work with the factory mic. Found that out when researching for my Kenwood unit. I mounted the mic at the spot where the center speaker is supposed to be. Hardly notice it and works well. FWIW you may be able to order with the silver trim. I was able to when I got my stuff from Crutchfield. Good luck, hope it works great!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a bit of info, nothing aftermarket will work with the factory mic. Found that out when researching for my Kenwood unit. I mounted the mic at the spot where the center speaker is supposed to be. Hardly notice it and works well. FWIW you may be able to order with the silver trim. I was able to when I got my stuff from Crutchfield. Good luck, hope it works great!!
that’s a good spot to hide a mic, I don’t have a center speaker in mine anyway

Regarding the trim, the idatalink chk1 dash piece does come with both options

I emailed Teyes to see if it can at all be ordered in any other color, I do have my doubts though. Id prefer not to spray paint, knowing me it’ll be worse looking than just keeping it gold lol.Seeing the idatalink option though got me thinking, is the trim piece on the OEM piece removable, and is the same piece removable from the Teyes option? Could you simply swap the OEM onto the Teyes? I’m thinking no, but doesn’t hurt to ask from people who have first hand experience

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
that’s a good spot to hide a mic, I don’t have a center speaker in mine anyway

Regarding the trim, the idatalink chk1 dash piece does come with both options

I emailed Teyes to see if it can at all be ordered in any other color, I do have my doubts though. Id prefer not to spray paint, knowing me it’ll be worse looking than just keeping it gold lol.Seeing the idatalink option though got me thinking, is the trim piece on the OEM piece removable, and is the same piece removable from the Teyes option? Could you simply swap the OEM onto the Teyes? I’m thinking no, but doesn’t hurt to ask from people who have first hand experience
The Idatalink is the most expensive way to go. It's going to cost you $300 to $400 for everything you need. This is on top of the price of whatever radio you buy.

You can only buy a radio that is idatalink compatible and those radio start at about $400 and go up from there because the radio has to have a special port on the back. So you can't just use any radio head unit it has to be specifically compatible with the idatalink system

When I got it priced at Best Buy with the cheapest radio they sold it was about $950 for everything before tax.

Joying makes one in silver! Have not tried it though. they are a good company. Id message them and make sure it supports all your features

The more I use mine the more I love it
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Idatalink is the most expensive way to go. It's going to cost you $300 to $400 for everything you need. This is on top of the price of whatever radio you buy.

You can only buy a radio that is idatalink compatible and those radio start at about $400 and go up from there because the radio has to have a special port on the back. So you can't just use any radio head unit it has to be specifically compatible with the idatalink system

When I got it priced at Best Buy with the cheapest radio they sold it was about $950 for everything before tax.

Joying makes one in silver! Have not tried it though. they are a good company. Id message them and make sure it supports all your features
Oh I know this. I want the teyes unit, just wondering if the trim on the teyes unit and OEM dash panel were removable at all. My thought was maybe they could be swapped. I doubt it, but just thinking out loud. Worst case I’ll just get the teyes and deal with the color. The compatibility of the teyes unit is more important than the color, so if it comes down to it I can deal with the mismatch

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Oh I know this. I want the teyes unit, just wondering if the trim on the teyes unit and OEM dash panel were removable at all. My thought was maybe they could be swapped. I doubt it, but just thinking out loud. Worst case I’ll just get the teyes and deal with the color. The compatibility of the teyes unit is more important than the color, so if it comes down to it I can deal with the mismatch
They are and the come separate. Its NOT a universal panel its made 100% for their unit and comes with screws to attach the unit in a unique way.

If you want silver id order the joying I linked above if it supports all the factory features. Ask them! I cant speak for the quality of the unit though. They are not one I have tested

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you're interested in just replacing your stock uconnect I have a unit from my 2015 with navigation that I would be willing to sell ya. PM me if you're interested

Reactions: cwwjr1681
121 - 140 of 162 Posts