2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

Registered
I still trust one like this WAY MORE than anything else out there. This one just happens to be the one my grandfather carried through his stint across Europe in WWII. Still works as flawlessly as it did during the Battle of the Bulge!!! No power required...馃槑馃嚭馃嚫
oh that's a really nice family heirloom!

Registered
Just FYI, you can also use your phone for that.
interesting, I looked that up:

A magnetometer is built-in since the iPhone 3GS generation, which is used to measure the strength and/or direction of the magnetic field in the vicinity of the device. Sometimes certain devices or radio signals can interfere with the magnetometer requiring users to either move away from the interference or re-calibrate by moving the device in a figure 8 motion. Since the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone also features a Compass app which was unique at time of release, showing a compass that points in the direction of the magnetic field.

Important: The accuracy of the compass can be affected by magnetic or environmental interference; even the magnets in the iPhone earbuds can cause a deviation. Use the digital compass only for basic navigation assistance. Don鈥檛 rely on it to determine precise location, proximity, distance, or direction.

Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I wound up canceling with Phoenix and ordering this instead
128GB Tesla Screen Car GPS NavigationFor JEEP Cherokee 2014 2019 Android 9.0 Car Radio Multimedia Video PlayerAutoradio Stereo|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

These guys are obviously the actual makers of these radios. Not a 3rd party seller! They answered all my technical questions with ease and even took pictures of certain features and ports of the unit that I was interested in and sent them to me via chat. They also threw in some freebees.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Please DO NOT buy it yourself until I verify all our factory functions (aka heated seats, steering wheel, headlight delay, reversing, parking asist and lane departure warnings work with it! That way only I am out the $$ not some of you. I bought this through my work and I test tech products all the time. If its good I will let you know. If its bad I will be straight up and say that. I updated my post above too. I wound up getting a better unit from the ACTUAL maker of the unit

Registered
Very interesting. Not sure about the vertical screen, but very interested in your review! Fun job! Spend someone else鈥檚 $$ to test tech!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Kind of an update...
I took the plunge and went with the Nifty City module option ($600)

Why them? I looked at replacing everything via the Infotainment system($1500). I specifically asked if the replacement radio would be covered under my MaxCare warranty, they said yes. When I called my dealer about the proxi alignment, my service adviser said if I did go that route they would do the PROXI no charge, BUT had me speak with one of the master mechanics. He said he has been seeing multiple of horror stories from doing this. Car systems not shutting down, multiple radios going bad and not being covered, electrical system issues, issues with UConnect updates. All the radios they use are refurbished units. Also, repairs caused by this swap may or may not be covered by MaxCare. The radio itself would NOT be covered. No thanks,$1500 for a refurb radio, which Infotainment confirmed, I don鈥檛 think so.

Started thinking about potential issues with an Android unit($200-600) Figured they would be the same as the Infotainment unit. Maybe in the future though.

I also looked at a add on module from NavTool ($550). Allegedly in the USA. I emailed them, took hours for a reply. The English was obviously not from someone who speaks English as a first language. I was also told the unit they list for 2014-2018 Jeep Cherokees on their website would not work in my 2018 Cherokee because I already have wireless CarPlay. What?!

Nifty City answered my questions within a few minutes. Their add on works with touch screen or knob control, I could get a 2 year extended warranty ($35) bringing the warranty to 3 years. They also gave me a code for 15%off if I ordered within 24 hours.

Should have the unit next week. Once installed I will update again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Kind of an update...
I took the plunge and went with the Nifty City module option ($600)
Nifty City answered my questions within a few minutes. Their add on works with touch screen or knob control, I could get a 2 year extended warranty ($35) bringing the warranty to 3 years. They also gave me a code for 15%off if I ordered within 24 hours.

Should have the unit next week. Once installed I will update again.

UPDATE: I think I am going to give up on the tesla style screen. Mainly due to the fact that I would get next to no support if it craps out on me after 6months. I have canceled my order. After a week they still havent shipped it! They also gave me no real answers about why they haven't. So I said F it and canceled my order. Getting my money back was NOT easy!

NiftyCity Customer service is outstanding! They also speak prefect English! I think Im going with the double upgrade since I have the VP3 (non-nav). I am Upgrading to the VP4 then I might get the item from NiftyCity. That way I have factory Nav + Android Auto by hitting a button.

Not 100% sure if I will get the item from NiftyCity yet till I get the Nav unit in. It will be here Monday. If I am happy with factory Nav I will just stick with that. The Vp4 was only 275$ on ebay! They wanted $600 to unlock nav on the VP3. F that!

Registered
I have a unit from a 2019 in my 2015 TH. I basically went the infotainment route, but I did it myself. Ordered a radio for just over $400 from LKQ, ordered the Climate Control module, MX+ OBD, and ALFA OBD. Was able to do the PROXY alignment no problem, only bugaboo was that although the proxy alignment was correct and everything worked properly, I still had a flashing odometer. After the latest recall that issue was resolved following the dealership flash. Not sure if they resolved it or if it resolved itself due to the flash. Everything is proper and complete now, however and I also used AlfaOBD to turn off the fog light/high beam and DRL/turn signal dropouts.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have a unit from a 2019 in my 2015 TH. I basically went the infotainment route, but I did it myself. Ordered a radio for just over $400 from LKQ, ordered the Climate Control module, MX+ OBD, and ALFA OBD. Was able to do the PROXY alignment no problem, only bugaboo was that although the proxy alignment was correct and everything worked properly, I still had a flashing odometer. After the latest recall that issue was resolved following the dealership flash. Not sure if they resolved it or if it resolved itself due to the flash. Everything is proper and complete now, however and I also used AlfaOBD to turn off the fog light/high beam and DRL/turn signal dropouts.
Have the part numbers on the parts you Orderd? The HAVAC control and the media hub?

Registered
Have the part numbers on the parts you Orderd? The HAVAC control and the media hub?
Media hub is stock. From what I've seen, the stock 2015 media hub works fine with Android Auto, but not CarPlay. I've had no problems with my Android Auto. Part number for HVAC control I got from the photo on Infotainment as the unit they ship out in their kits, I read it off of the image.

Part number is 68370300AC

I think it's possible that 68370300AB may also work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Media hub is stock. From what I've seen, the stock 2015 media hub works fine with Android Auto, but not CarPlay. I've had no problems with my Android Auto. Part number for HVAC control I got from the photo on Infotainment as the unit they ship out in their kits, I read it off of the image.

Part number is 68370300AC

I think it's possible that 68370300AB may also work.
what kind of vehicle did your radio come from?

Registered
what kind of vehicle did your radio come from?
2019 Cherokee, I have the window sticker from the source vehicle from the VIN on LKQ. I tried to source a unit from a vehicle with similar specs to mine ie. Heated/vented seats, 9 speaker audio

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
2019 Cherokee, I have the window sticker from the source vehicle from the VIN on LKQ. I tried to source a unit from a vehicle with similar specs to mine ie. Heated/vented seats, 9 speaker audio
Well you got very lucky my friend I have not been able to find the 8.4 in on LKQ at all from a Cherokee. Seen the 7" but not the 8.4"

Only place I have seen it is ebay for $800+

Registered
Well you got very lucky my friend I have not been able to find the 8.4 in on LKQ at all from a Cherokee.

Only place I have seen it is ebay for $800+
Very interesting actually. Maybe less wrecked vehicles due to COVID? When I did mine in July of 2020 they had several 8.4 inch 4C units, both with and without XM radio. I had a very hard time finding one with NAV however. Also, I guess I made a mistake on the price, I ended up paying $737 for the unit, which was still less than other listings. Don't regret it one bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Very interesting actually. Maybe less wrecked vehicles due to COVID? When I did mine in July of 2020 they had several 8.4 inch 4C units, both with and without XM radio. I had a very hard time finding one with NAV however. Also, I guess I made a mistake on the price, I ended up paying $737 for the unit, which was still less than other listings. Don't regret it one bit.
Lucky you!

About our convo on the other thread. I did get confirmed that the Cherokee ECU is adaptive/self learning. Thats why you cant change tire size. There is no need It can detect them. I guess all newer cars have this name. Back in 2014 only BMW, Lexus ect ect ECUs did that. Trucks and Wranglers you still can though because their tire size is sooo vast. As you know us Cherokees are limited on tire sizes. So Im not that surprised our ECU is like this

Registered
Well, I received the unit from NiftyCity. They sent me one for a Grand Cherokee. . I emailed them, waiting to hear back from them.

As I looked in the kit, there is a circuit board that gets connected. There are zero instructions on where it goes. Hope I don鈥檛 have to disassemble the screen. Wanted to avoid that, but maybe it鈥檚 because the system is for a Grand....

Tune in later.....

Registered
So, after several emails up and back, NiftyCity insists everything is the same and will work. IDK, figured the wire loom would be different, but who knows. One thing I did not know, and is nowhere on their website, is you need to disassemble the screen and add a circuit board. Only on Jeep and Porsche is the circuit board required. Not exactly plug and play. They did agree to a return with full refund. Going to head to UPS tomorrow and see what it will cost and decide if I keep it or return it.

BTW, the return label says JoyAuto on it, not NiftyCity, so likely the same company. The JoyAuto UTube video does show installing the circuit board. Not hard, but if I have a radio issue I need to remove the extra board before I can take it to Jeep, kinda PIA.....

Stay tuned till tomorrow. Same bat time,same bat station.....

41 - 60 of 73 Posts