2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
That looks sweet! Watched the UTube review, no one says anything about Sat radio.. Will wait for your review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That looks sweet! Watched the UTube review, no one says anything about Sat radio.. Will wait for your review!

Because no one uses SAT radio lol.

Most people on Android units tether their phone and use Pandora/Spotify. If you want SAT radio on an Android unit download the Sirrus XM App from the playstore. This App will work better than having the tuner because it wont need line of sight. AKA you drive into a parking garage, tunnel or car wash you will still have prefect reception

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,343 Posts
You sir, are brilliant! I have 2 cars with Sirius and the app on my phone. I will save $$dropping the Jeep and using the app! . My only question now is why I didn’t think of that!

That's a little secret Sirius doesn't want you to know Fred. Yes, it will save you some money. I dropped all services on all three vehicles, and now just tap the aux from the phone, and boom, done. Here's the kicker, the sound quality is noticeably better than the direct sat connection. I think I pay like $14 a month, and have access to Sirius in anything with aux jacks and or bluetooth. It's brilliant!!!😎

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Just a heads up guys look for my review on option #4 The 10.2" Dasaita Android unit I mentioned in an earlier post this weekend. I'm actually blown away by this company and how quick they're shipping the unit to me.

It's coming from China, I ordered it Saturday and it's getting here today "Wednesday". Talk about expedited shipping. But I actually shocked by how good their customer service and shipping has been

After I test it fully if it works as they claim it ought to be one of the best options for just about anybody with a Cherokee that once an Android unit and to dazzle up/modernize their interior.

So expect an update and review soon

·
Registered
716 Posts
I too have been in contact with them. My emails were answered in a couple hours! I’m still waiting for a response from Kenwood I sent Monday.

Anyway, I asked them about using the factory MIC’s as opposed to theirs. They didn’t think the factory ones will work. Bummer, I was ready to buy it but that’s kind of a turn off for me. Please let us know if they are correct.

Looking forward to you evaluation!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's a little secret Sirius doesn't want you to know Fred. Yes, it will save you some money. I dropped all services on all three vehicles, and now just tap the aux from the phone, and boom, done. Here's the kicker, the sound quality is noticeably better than the direct sat connection. I think I pay like $14 a month, and have access to Sirius in anything with aux jacks and or bluetooth. It's brilliant!!!😎
The ONE drawback to doing it this way is if you frequently drive in areas with no cellular service. For us, that is more than you'd expect. In the Smoky Mountain National Park, for example, there are no cell towers inside park boundaries. Once you're a little inside the park's boundaries, there is no cell service available at all. It's those times that it's good to have the option to use satellite radio as a fallback.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
drive in areas with no cellular service. It's those times that it's good to have the option to use satellite(s) as a fallback.
hope you don't mind, I adjusted your quote a little. & that's why I opted to replace my OEM radio, w/ another that also has a built in GPS. I don't venture as remotely as you do, but it's no fun to lose the cell signal

·
Registered
367 Posts
hope you don't mind, I adjusted your quote a little. & that's why I opted to replace my OEM radio, w/ another that also has a built in GPS. I don't venture as remotely as you do, but it's no fun to lose the cell signal
Absolutely, and 100% agree. If we didn't know the area well, it would NOT be fun to go without GPS.

Another option could be to download offline maps on your phone. I believe Google/Waze will let you download maps to use offline so that you don't need cellular service for navigation, and I'm sure other apps may as well. It's always best to be prepared...especially when you are in remote areas with little to no means of communication.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Man, I don't know how we never got lost in the desert back in the day before modern technology??? It's called a compass, UHF, and good old paper maps or an atlas. BTW, you can still get some amazing topographic maps from your local public land bureau, if you younger folks know how to read them...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
367 Posts
Man, I don't know how we never got lost in the desert back in the day before modern technology??? It's called a compass, UHF, and good old paper maps or an atlas. BTW, you can still get some amazing topographic maps from your local public land bureau, if you younger folks know how to read them...LOL!!!😎
Yeah, I hear you. But gone are the days of carrying a 450 page ADC Map Book for the city I'm currently in. I'm at the age where I want to work smarter, not harder. 🤪

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Absolutely, and 100% agree. If we didn't know the area well, it would NOT be fun to go without GPS.

Another option could be to download offline maps on your phone. I believe Google/Waze will let you download maps to use offline so that you don't need cellular service for navigation, and I'm sure other apps may as well. It's always best to be prepared...especially when you are in remote areas with little to no means of communication.
great idea. last Fall while mountain biking in a state forest, I was expecting the office to be open or at least to have maps in a box outside the office. instead all maps were gone & the office was closed. I snapped a photo of the map they had in plexi-glass case. even w/ the glare, I was able to find my way around for a cpl hours of fun

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
+1 I always have a compass in my glove compartment. of course you might have to hold it at arms length out your window to get a correct reading, or even get out of your car, but it's something!

I remember when ... driving w/ one hand & reading maps with the other, no glasses required. man I miss my 20s ...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
still use map & compass, even if I have to carry reading glasses, just in case. the compass is around my neck ...

·
Registered
367 Posts
+1 I always have a compass in my glove compartment. ...

Just FYI, you can also use your phone for that.

Yes, I know they run dead eventually, but I also carry a spare power source in the car when I'm going to be in the wilderness. It's handheld and has capacity for about 10-12 recharges of my phone.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Just FYI, you can also use your phone for that.

Yes, I know they run dead eventually, but I also carry a spare power source in the car when I'm going to be in the wilderness. It's handheld and has capacity for about 10-12 recharges of my phone.

View attachment 213471
I still trust one like this WAY MORE than anything else out there. This one just happens to be the one my grandfather carried through his stint across Europe in WWII. Still works as flawlessly as it did during the Battle of the Bulge!!! No power required...😎🇺🇸
d652d-p5300003-2.jpg

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
756 Posts
Who remembers TripTiks?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts