2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
221 - 240 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you watch my videos? I have a very heavy disclaimer in my video about buying these things. My first video is really important because it has a very heavy disclaimer on there

When it comes to Android head units it's not like buying a pioneer. You really need to know what you're getting into.

I have 3 videos. Starting with this one
Yes my son and I both did. We are both pretty handy/tech savvy so I’m thinking it won’t be too difficult for us. Is functionality the same/similar with an iPhone/apple CarPlay?

·
Registered
65 Posts
CWWJR, a couple more questions..... 1) Do the factory USB's and SD Card slot work properly after installation? 2) What to do with the three USB cables included in the kit? I plugged the cable with the blue ended connector into port (D) "USB Port Single" is that correct? 3) What is the SIM card slot used for on the bottom of the unit? 4) Does the 5G WiFi antenna get stuck anywhere under the dash? I have not yet connected the blue ANT wire together.

View attachment 220319
Out of curiosity when did you order yours?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine says it was delivered to local courier 2 days ago, but has been sitting in Santa Fe Springs ever since. USPS tracking has shown Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item since the the same date. Getting impatient, its never gonna get here lol
I did not find the tracking info reliable except for the indication that it was delivered to my local post office.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My unit was delivered today. Tried to start working on it and getting it installed on my car, got connections plugged in and turned on the car and nothing turned on. I then tried to remove everything and reconnect my stock head unit and now even that will not power up and my odometer and compass icon are just flashing. Fml, this sounded like such an easy process and now nothing is working and I didn't even do anything. Ugh

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got mine installed today. Went pretty well. Just tweaking and learning now.
Did you disconnect your battery before working on it? Not sure if that was the issue but I did disconnect prior to the install.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wonder if anybody here has the answer to my question. I cannot get Android auto to boot up automatically. The setting is set to auto launch but it's just not happening.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So somehow the fuse blew for my radio, I replace it and verified my original one was powering up and booting properly, then I disconnected power and tried to hook up the Teyes and re connect power and it still does not appear to be booting up or receiving power. Even the optical jack in the back doesn't light up red, it just seems like it's getting no power and as far as I know everything is hooked up to it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did it blow the fuse again?

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, it did not blow the fuse this time and I was able to swap back in my original and it booted right up again once I reconnected power and turned the car on. Not sure if something is going on with the headunit itself or what. A couple of the plastic clips were also broken on the bezel which was a little dissapointing, but I can't even get this unit to power on which I wanted to do before I worried about the bezel.

As far as I am aware, I have everything connected properly. It seems like everything really only fits in one slot and tried to get as much info as I could from the limited instructions. I feel like I have a lot of empty ports on the back of the unit but can't seem to find anything that would go there. Attached is an image of the back of the unit and what I have connected. I also checked the blue fuse on the actual head unit and that appears to be fine, it was only the radio one under the hood I had an issue with but I don't know if that blowing is a sign of another issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
The empty ports should not matter when powering up the system. Check to make sure none of the connectors are bent on the main harness of the Teyes and that all the wires are fully seated in their positions.
I feel your pain. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a warranty return on your hands unless someone else has an idea to help you on this forum.
If you email Teyes today hopefully you will get a response tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you have a multimeter, id check the 12v constant, 12v acc and ground wires on the Teyes side harness that is plugging into the unit (the black one next to the fuse) to verify they are getting appropriate power and ground. If they are, its possible whatever caused you to blow a fuse also blew up the unit. Even though the fuse on the unit looks fine, it may not be a bad idea to replace it just to rule it out also.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you have a multimeter, id check the 12v constant, 12v acc and ground wires on the Teyes side harness that is plugging into the unit (the black one next to the fuse) to verify they are getting appropriate power and ground. If they are, its possible whatever caused you to blow a fuse also blew up the unit. Even though the fuse on the unit looks fine, it may not be a bad idea to replace it just to rule it out also.
I don't but I will try to get my hands on one to test and sent teyes an email today so we'll see what they say if anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they are like $7 for a cheap one. You dont need anything special.
Yeah I will try and pick one up today. The fact that the optical port in back lights up red when I reconnect power seems to make me think the device is getting power, but when I try to turn the car on and boot it up the red light goes off and never boots up makes me think that something is going on inside of the device or shorting out somewhere and caused the fuse to blow initially. I hope this isn't the case since I waited a while for this to get delivered and was really looking forward to getting it installed, even if I get it powered up I don't know if it will sit properly with one of the bezel clips being broken when it came. I sent an email to support yesterday and waiting on a response back but seem to read a lot of mixed things about their support. Hoping I can get this up and running without having to deal with returns and shipping it back and waiting for another to come.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
No, it did not blow the fuse this time and I was able to swap back in my original and it booted right up again once I reconnected power and turned the car on. Not sure if something is going on with the headunit itself or what. A couple of the plastic clips were also broken on the bezel which was a little dissapointing, but I can't even get this unit to power on which I wanted to do before I worried about the bezel.

As far as I am aware, I have everything connected properly. It seems like everything really only fits in one slot and tried to get as much info as I could from the limited instructions. I feel like I have a lot of empty ports on the back of the unit but can't seem to find anything that would go there. Attached is an image of the back of the unit and what I have connected. I also checked the blue fuse on the actual head unit and that appears to be fine, it was only the radio one under the hood I had an issue with but I don't know if that blowing is a sign of another issue.
Looking at this images it looks like you did not copy the white clips over from the factory face plate. Also unless I am missing something I dont see that you canbus box is plugged in? Do you have the little black box connected?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looking at this images it looks like you did not copy the white clips over from the factory face plate. Also unless I am missing something I dont see that you canbus box is plugged in? Do you have the little black box connected?
The box seems to be red-ish for me, but yes I do have it plugged in. On the left side of the image you can see the wire harness going to it and the corner of the red box in the image. I guess I did not know I needed to move clips from the stock bezel to the new one, but before I do that I want to make sure the unit is actually working since I have had to keep swapping back and forth between my stock one and trying this one. I can take more/better pictures of the back of the unit and will check all fuses again and try and get a multimeter after work.

221 - 240 of 278 Posts